IGNORED

What does "in the day" in Gen. 2:4 mean?

thomas t

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

There is another "problem" with the use of the word "yom" (day) in scripture that has caused some to speculate and come to an incorrect conclusion.

"The DAY you eat of it (the forbidden fruit) you shall surely die."

There are indeed uses of the word "yom" in scripture that do not refer to 24 hour days.

But the evidence in scripture does not apply anything other than 24 hour days for the creation week.

In this case, Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit and lived 900+ years afterward. So the false conclusion some have jumped to is that they died spiritually. Spirit does not die. That's why there is an eternal hell to imprison that which cannot be killed.

Matthew 25:41 (KJV)
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

His angels can refer to all his followers, but that's another topic).

In the case of Adam and Eve living 900+ years, this was all within the bounds of 1,000 years.

2 Peter 3:8 (KJV)
8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

But God did not create the sun until day 4 so a day did not exist until the fourth day so what has 24 hours got to do with it?

1. The Bible says "And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years." Genesis 1:14

Even if prior to this "day" the days were not 24 hour periods...they were 24 hour periods after God created the lights in the firmament. Clearly the division of the day and night by the lights in the firmament should be considered the same time frame as the division takes today. (Unless we find a reason to believe God modified the rotational times of the sun and moon after creation week.)

On what day did God create the Sun?

If there was already something there to "divide the day from the night and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years" why did God make the sun?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Birthday:  04/20/1980

I will move on now...

The peace of God be with you in Christ Jesus...

Brother Paul

ok Paul,

so I wish you a nice journey.

Thank you for wishing me the peace of God.

Paul, process is the translation of the Hebrew word "qets". Your statement comes across as if the four words of "in process of time" can be assigned to the one word of yawm.

Anyway, this passage stands afterwards, as discussed in the other thread.

Yes and the word time here is "yom" so in the "gets" of "yom"...thanks, this actually demonstrates the point not negates it.

So did God make the heavens and the earth in one day or seven? Can't be both simultaneously. Therefore exegetically the "day" of Genesis 2 refers to all seven days of Genesis 1...but if you cannot see this thats okay, one day you will...God bless!

[red color mine]

Therefore? I don't see any causal link in there. I agree: Can't be both one and seven days. That's more than clear to me. But then what should the "therefore" mean? I don't see any reasoning behind it. However, don't feel forced to answer. Just wanted to get my scepticim across.

Is this an attempt to make the Hebrew word yom (day) longer than  24 hour days in the creation week?

Good day John,

my point here is that one day stays one day in the creation account.

Greetings,

Thomas

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  264
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

On what day did God create the Sun?

The 4th Day

If there was already something there to "divide the day from the night and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years" why did God make the sun?

\\

Why do you say three was "something" there to divide the day from the night? I don't see anything. God divided the light from the darkness, but can't God stand light and darkness side by side? Can't he make that light and darkness shine upon the earth as he sees fit without there being a "source" of light? 

A very similar scenario we have with the waters. The Bible says "And God made the firmament, and divided the waters..." Gen 1:7

When God divided the light...there was nothing mentioned of God creating anything to divide it...which leads me to believe it was simply divided without a sun or moon.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Sun was created on 4th day.

Conclusions arrived at from this are either:

1. the 'days' at that time had no regard to earth's rotation to the star it now orbits (revolves around) ergo any length of time could be affixed to the days of creation

2. the 24-hour day was established prior to the creation of the sun using whatever light source was present from day 1 and the Lord assigned to the sun the rotation / revolution to the time frames he created

Conclusion #1 would be as viable an interpretation as #2 if there were no other biblical references to the creation week with respect to 24-hour days / 168 hour weekly cycle. And there are lots and lots of bioblical references to the creation week with regard to the current 168 hour week consisting of 24-hour days.

Therefore conclusion #1 must prove its position with evidence that also disproves all the biblical evidence for conclusion #2.

If those who hold to conclusion #1 insist on beating their heads against this wall of proof against their position it is their right to believe all the untruth they want. But do not expect any sympathy here for the bloody mess you inflict upon yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. Revelation 21:5

~

Sun was created on 4th day.

Conclusions arrived at from this are either:

1. the 'days' at that time had no regard to earth's rotation to the star it now orbits (revolves around) ergo any length of time could be affixed to the days of creation

2. the 24-hour day was established prior to the creation of the sun using whatever light source was present from day 1 and the Lord assigned to the sun the rotation / revolution to the time frames he created

Conclusion #1 would be as viable an interpretation as #2 if there were no other biblical references to the creation week with respect to 24-hour days / 168 hour weekly cycle. And there are lots and lots of bioblical references to the creation week with regard to the current 168 hour week consisting of 24-hour days.

Therefore conclusion #1 must prove its position with evidence that also disproves all the biblical evidence for conclusion #2.

If those who hold to conclusion #1 insist on beating their heads against this wall of proof against their position it is their right to believe all the untruth they want. But do not expect any sympathy here for the bloody mess you inflict upon yourself.

:thumbsup:

~

One Could Say The Sabbath Is The Dot At The End Of My Conclusion.

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. Exodus 20:8-11

And God Will Light Up The New Earth Without The Sun

And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. Revelation 20:11

The Moon And All The Stars

And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever. Revelation 22:5

Whither One Believes

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

Or Not

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

Montana is correct.

I'm sure you know this, but in case you don't...remember the original Word of God did not have chapters as we know them today.

Man came along later and divided the Bible into chapters and verses for easy reference.

That being said...Genesis 2:1-3 and the first half of vs. 4 actually belong at the end of Genesis 1. So here's how the Bible should've been divided:

Genesis 1 should've ended like this:

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. (Gen 1:31)

Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them (Gen 2:1)

And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. (Gen 2:2)

And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made. (Gen 2:3)

These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created.(Gen 2:4)

Genesis 2 should've began like this:

In the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, (2nd part of vs 4)

And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground. (vs. 5)

But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground. (vs. 6)

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. (vs. 7)

....and so on and on...

Genesis 2 is a going over certain aspects of Genesis 1 to bring about certain details that have not been given to us yet. The "Day" is not about Adam and Eve...it's about the day that God created the heavens and the earth.

Amen~!

~

A Day Of Salvation

Thus saith the LORD, In an acceptable time have I heard thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee: and I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages; Isaiah 49:8

The Day Of Salvation

(For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.) 2 Corinthians 6:2

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  315
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/31/1959

in daniel 2 verse 21 you may want to read it to get a better understanding also later on in daniel hes ask the question is the vision of the evening and the morning true the angel said yes so now more questions was it 1000 years from evening to morning  maybe one billon or maybe the destruction of the old planet and the creation of a new planet being morning. so what changed that man was limited to 120 years it must have be different moreover adam and eve was not the only people on earth is it not wrote dont eat of the tree in the mist of earth.