• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

By Billy Hallowell

On Oct. 19, self-professed Biblical scholar Joseph Atwill is planning to make public some very flammable allegations. At a day-long symposium called "Covert Messiah" in London, England, he's set to unveil purported evidence that Roman aristocrats manufactured Jesus Christ - a claim that, if substantiated, would devalue the core of the Christian faith.

The only problem? Most Biblical experts disagree with the scholar's pronouncements.

A press release announcing the purported new evidence claims that Atwill has discovered "ancient confessions" that purportedly prove that Romans invented Jesus Christ in the first century. He has long argued that the faith system was used as a political tool to control the masses -- something he says is still going on today.

Read more here

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Interesting how he contends Jesus was manufactured as a man of peace to contend with those who sought war with Rome 2000 yrs or so ago

Then, in the next breath, says this:  "Although Christianity can be a comfort to some, it can also be very damaging and repressive, an insidious form of mind control that has led to blind acceptance of serfdom, poverty, and war throughout history," he said. "To this day, especially in the United States, it is used to create support for war in the Middle East."

I guess whatever contradiction supports his theory at any given time.  That alone, wouldseem to suggest he may not have quite understood the history he wishs to document

Professor James Crossley from the University of Sheffield in South Yorkshire, England, agreed with Atwill's critics, telling The Daily Mail that theories like Atwill's are not accepted among academics.

"These types of theories are very common outside the academic world and are usually reserved for sensationalist literature," he said. "They are virtually non-existent in the academic world."

Should make another great docu for the Discovery channel.  They eat up that kind of thing.  Interesting article though.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings to Everyone!

Everyone is looking to not only to create doubt in the mind of the believer but they want their 15minutes of fame...this self proclaimed Bible Scholar does not understand the "core"of Christianity is when an individual calls on the Name of Jesus & from that place on their knees a very real hand touches you & lifts you to your feet and each person that has surrendered themselves to this Jesus,they are overwhelmed by a love that is beyond their wildest imaginings and those(like me)that were diagnosed with a terminal illness of which there is no cure are suddenly & miraculously healed & the most hardened criminals heart is convicted & he breaks down & cries like a 2yr old child because he is forgiven and so on & so on....Christianity is a real experience,a personal & unique indwelling....of that very real Jesus Christ.......

We are living testimonies & His Word is written on our hearts.......He fails to understand that the Bible is the "LIVING"Word of God.....Jesus is the Word & the Word was made Flesh & He lives!!!!!!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

And then there is this to refute the rubbish..

And I make no apology for copying the entire chapter. it's something i go back to over and over again.. (ESV from e-sword)

Isa 53:1  Who has believed what he has heard from us? And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed? 
Isa 53:2  For he grew up before him like a young plant, and like a root out of dry ground; he had no form or majesty that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him. 
Isa 53:3  He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. 
Isa 53:4  Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. 
Isa 53:5  But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed. 
Isa 53:6  All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned--every one--to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all. 
Isa 53:7  He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent, so he opened not his mouth. 
Isa 53:8  By oppression and judgment he was taken away; and as for his generation, who considered that he was cut off out of the land of the living, stricken for the transgression of my people? 
Isa 53:9  And they made his grave with the wicked and with a rich man in his death, although he had done no violence, and there was no deceit in his mouth. 
Isa 53:10  Yet it was the will of the LORD to crush him; he has put him to grief; when his soul makes an offering for guilt, he shall see his offspring; he shall prolong his days; the will of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. 
Isa 53:11  Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see and be satisfied; by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant, make many to be accounted righteous, and he shall bear their iniquities. 
Isa 53:12  Therefore I will divide him a portion with the many, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong, because he poured out his soul to death and was numbered with the transgressors; yet he bore the sin of many, and makes intercession for the transgressors. 

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

If my faith was built only on the words of man, he might discourage me. 

My faith is built on something far more real. The Holy Spirit shows me time and time again how real He is. 

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  236
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/29/1971

It's a real shame.  An article such as this really doesn't matter much to a true believer but some Christians on the fence might take it to heart.

I was born into a Christian family that lived very worldly.  Fighting, abuse, and making God out to be an evil overlord wringing his hands in anticipation of throwing us all into an agonizing hell.  So I already had a very skewed view of God, didn't understand the Bible, and really wasn't saved despite confessing the Lord and 'trying' to be a good person.  I lacked so much understanding.

Later when I went to college there was a History professor, openly lesbian, that would try and undermine Christianity at every turn.  One day she hit a nerve with me as she went through her atheist views of ancient Rome.  It got to me because I was ignorant and for the first time in my life I believed there was no God.  A darkness fell on me like a blanket and I felt changed.

It led me on a 5 year path of destruction and debauchery that ruined my health, finances, and relationships.  Then when I finally hit rock bottom I found Jesus had been waiting on me.

One night, feeling like I was going to die, I cried out to God.  God if you are real give me some sort of sign.  My small dark apartment filled with a bright light.  Fell to my knees and worshipped the Lord and asked for his forgiveness.  The entire time I could see the spiritual dimension and I was surrounded by angels.  That night was the night I truly got saved in a miraculous manner.

The next morning I woke up a different person.  The sun shined like I had never noticed before...  The light looked so pure and clean and all the colors of the grass and flowers were vibrant.  It was as if a veil had been lifted from my eyes.

This began my journey into studying the Bible.  For the first time, since I had the Holy Spirit, was able to understand.  Before being saved -the Bible seemed like Japanese and I just couldn't understand.  After years of study the scriptures become more amazing and irrefutable that it was God inspired.

Then I began studying the ancient texts such as the Dead Sea scrolls, Josephus, etc...  Once you get into it you'll find there's more evidence for Jesus' existence and the Gospel than there's evidence if you or I existed.  Will they remember your name in 2,000 years? 

Anyway.  I wonder what Mr. Atwell thinks about all those that died for Christianity in a Roman coliseum?  They would have been close enough to the event to know if Rome had manufactured a lie.  Nobody would die for a lie.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

They would have been close enough to the event to know if Rome had manufactured a lie.  Nobody would die for a lie.

You might remember a little event known as 9/11. The 19 hijackers died for a lie, killing thousands of others with them. 

They would have been close enough to the event to know if Rome had manufactured a lie.  Nobody would die for a lie.

You might remember a little event known as 9/11. The 19 hijackers died for a lie, killing thousands of others with them. 

Maybe there is a difference here. The 911 hijackers committed suicide and murdered innocent people whereas the Christian disciples were put to death. It's more accurate to say the terrorists killed for a lie. imo

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings ninhao.

Praise be to God & the Wisdom by the power of the Holy Spirit!I was not even paying attention until you made me realize we are talking about being murdered & murderING....thank you for sharing that revelation.....the terrorists truly murdered for a lie on that dreadful day......

With love,in Christ-Kwik

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,146
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1950

It's a real shame.  An article such as this really doesn't matter much to a true believer but some Christians on the fence might take it to heart.

I was born into a Christian family that lived very worldly.  Fighting, abuse, and making God out to be an evil overlord wringing his hands in anticipation of throwing us all into an agonizing hell.  So I already had a very skewed view of God, didn't understand the Bible, and really wasn't saved despite confessing the Lord and 'trying' to be a good person.  I lacked so much understanding.

Later when I went to college there was a History professor, openly lesbian, that would try and undermine Christianity at every turn.  One day she hit a nerve with me as she went through her atheist views of ancient Rome.  It got to me because I was ignorant and for the first time in my life I believed there was no God.  A darkness fell on me like a blanket and I felt changed.

It led me on a 5 year path of destruction and debauchery that ruined my health, finances, and relationships.  Then when I finally hit rock bottom I found Jesus had been waiting on me.

One night, feeling like I was going to die, I cried out to God.  God if you are real give me some sort of sign.  My small dark apartment filled with a bright light.  Fell to my knees and worshipped the Lord and asked for his forgiveness.  The entire time I could see the spiritual dimension and I was surrounded by angels.  That night was the night I truly got saved in a miraculous manner.

The next morning I woke up a different person.  The sun shined like I had never noticed before...  The light looked so pure and clean and all the colors of the grass and flowers were vibrant.  It was as if a veil had been lifted from my eyes.

This began my journey into studying the Bible.  For the first time, since I had the Holy Spirit, was able to understand.  Before being saved -the Bible seemed like Japanese and I just couldn't understand.  After years of study the scriptures become more amazing and irrefutable that it was God inspired.

Then I began studying the ancient texts such as the Dead Sea scrolls, Josephus, etc...  Once you get into it you'll find there's more evidence for Jesus' existence and the Gospel than there's evidence if you or I existed.  Will they remember your name in 2,000 years? 

Anyway.  I wonder what Mr. Atwell thinks about all those that died for Christianity in a Roman coliseum?  They would have been close enough to the event to know if Rome had manufactured a lie.  Nobody would die for a lie.

Thanks for that wonderful testimony.  The "debauchary" part sounded so so bad that I looked it up.  Lo and behold, I was guilty of some of those things too!  It is true, even for me.....our sins always look worse on someone esle.