Sign in to follow this  
vera

Salt and Water Witchcraft?

I guess I'm too deep.. but a purification rite? I'll have to check on the meaning of rite. Isn't that why as Christians we use the blood of Jesus to purify and cleanse. Use of olive to anoint? Thanks for the info. I had googled as well but I wanted some Christians to give me some scriptures,etc as foundation to justify why this is done.

Holy Water for ages has been used for blessing and consecration purposes.   But what you mention seems a little strange, but if your church is charismatic I've heard of worse things.  (Not to disparage Charismatic believers or churches)

If the pastors wife is holding on to things like this from a pagan past, then she needs to let go of it. I personally would not be happy worshiping in a church that had pagan rituals as part of the altar.

Ditto!

I have never seen anything like that done in a church before. Okay, now I am going to go google stuff and see what I come up with cause now I am interested.

I've googled it and came across an article, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link.

Salt and water appears to be used a lot in hoodoo spells and curses. I'd never heard the word hoodoo before but I have discovered that it is simply the correct terminology for voodoo.

Using salt and water is a purification rite, but apparently they can also be used as ingredients in spells and curses.

she was raised in a part of the world that witchcraft voodoo and the likes are prevalent.

Ah I see....If this is the case it could be that she is holding on to what she has been taught to do in the pass. It does not mean that she is not a Christian. It is just that it could be that from the way she was raised that it is hard for her to let go of a believe. As she may truly believe that what she is doing is protecting the church from evil by doing this. In my own life I was raised by my grandmother who although was a Christan had some superstitious believes that she pass along to me. Though I know in my mind that it is foolishness and as I christian I should not believe such things, I still to this day can not walk underneath a lader without fear of bad luck. Old habits die hard they say.

The difference is - you know that your superstitions are stupid, you just have difficulty breaking habits, which is pretty much like any sin. There's a difference between having trouble letting go of a superstition and deliberately carrying out a ritual that involves it, especially in a church.

Blessings to Everyone!

As there is nothing in the first couple of posts because of editing it is difficult to know what is going on here but I did notice the subject title because I knew alot of people that use saltwater (or salt & water) and believe it or not ammonia to ward off evil spirits(demons)......probably because I have a European background(Italy)& these are customs,traditions & superstitions that are passed on through the generations...having had practiced in the occult(witchcraft)I must say I have never heard of any spell or practice that involved salt & water....

So ,I don't even now if my assumption is correct  or if this is helpful as I do not really know the question(lol)...Being Italian,same holds true in much of Spain & France(besides Italy)...it is customary(usually Catholics)to practice male occhio(evil eye)...the salt & water is protection against the demons some evil doer has sent that is "over-looking "you....Holy Water is preferred(blessed by a priest)......I can't remember all of what my grandmother tried to pass on to me but I remember her explaining that we are made up of salt & water....and then I am pretty much blanlk(lol)...I know they splattered it everywhere in & outside of the house and prayed,and prayed,and prayed and prayer.......

I sincerely hope that everyone knows that all we aver need is the Blood of Christ ,all these superstitions had to originate in pagan rituals & are deception from the enemy

With love in Christ-Kwik                                                    

Blessings to Everyone!

As there is nothing in the first couple of posts because of editing it is difficult to know what is going on here but I did notice the subject title because I knew alot of people that use saltwater (or salt & water) and believe it or not ammonia to ward off evil spirits(demons)......probably because I have a European background(Italy)& these are customs,traditions & superstitions that are passed on through the generations...having had practiced in the occult(witchcraft)I must say I have never heard of any spell or practice that involved salt & water....

So ,I don't even now if my assumption is correct  or if this is helpful as I do not really know the question(lol)...Being Italian,same holds true in much of Spain & France(besides Italy)...it is customary(usually Catholics)to practice male occhio(evil eye)...the salt & water is protection against the demons some evil doer has sent that is "over-looking "you....Holy Water is preferred(blessed by a priest)......I can't remember all of what my grandmother tried to pass on to me but I remember her explaining that we are made up of salt & water....and then I am pretty much blanlk(lol)...I know they splattered it everywhere in & outside of the house and prayed,and prayed,and prayed and prayer.......

I sincerely hope that everyone knows that all we aver need is the Blood of Christ ,all these superstitions had to originate in pagan rituals & are deception from the enemy

With love in Christ-Kwik                                                    

Google hoodoo, salt, water

or don't - it's up to you.

My point is that saltwater is sometimes used in hoodoo spells. It is not a Christian practise.

Dearest Willow,

Blessings to you this gorgeous day(well,I'm in fForida-Lol)....I guess I wasn't very clear in my post as I never meant to imply in any way that this was/is a Christian practice(& I don't see where it does imply any such thing?)but I did mention that maleocchio is practiced by Italians(also have many relatives in France & Spain)...who are all Catholic....in maleocchio ,salt & water is used.

And do forgive me as I said I don't even know what exactly this thread is about(I probably should have read some posts)and I stuck my two cents in!So I do apologize that I did not even read your post......I did also mention that these traditions probably stems from pagan origin.

With love in Christ-Kwik

Dearest Willow,

Blessings to you this gorgeous day(well,I'm in fForida-Lol)....I guess I wasn't very clear in my post as I never meant to imply in any way that this was/is a Christian practice(& I don't see where it does imply any such thing?)but I did mention that maleocchio is practiced by Italians(also have many relatives in France & Spain)...who are all Catholic....in maleocchio ,salt & water is used.

And do forgive me as I said I don't even know what exactly this thread is about(I probably should have read some posts)and I stuck my two cents in!So I do apologize that I did not even read your post......I did also mention that these traditions probably stems from pagan origin.

With love in Christ-Kwik

Lots of cultures believe in the evil eye.   Greeks, Turks, Arabs, pretty much all the Mediterranean cultures.   There are even some Bible passages that point to a folk belief among the Israelites.    That being said I would be genuinely surprised if someone in the U.S. was practicing this, unless they were a recent immigrant.    Folk beliefs like that tend to drop off once people "leave the old country" and become Americanized.

Edited by Addai

Dearest Willow,

With love in Christ-Kwik

Don't worry. I wasn't suggesting that you believed it was a Christian practise. My post was worded in the way that it was, because I'm not here to suggest that Christians study witchcraft. I was trying to say that saltwater rituals (and sometimes spells) are prominent in Hoodoo. If you want references (ie proof) then check it out yourself. If you don't, then don't. It's up to you.

It's not right for me to post links to witchcraft sites and is probably against forum rules. I check such things for confirmation only of Satan's work and not to encourage the practise or even the contemplation of such things. Some people require evidence, others choose not to.

From what I have learned, I don't believe that messing about with salt and water is acceptable in a Christian church and it stinks a little bit of false Christianity to me. Too many Christians bring pagan stuff into their worship and they should not do that.

However, if you wish to learn stuff about the World we live in, like I do, then satisfy your own curiosity. God alone knows what your limits are, or what your motives are.