IGNORED

Debating with atheists

Guest DRS81

What does scripture say about starting debates with atheists.

I feel like I'm banging my head up against a car door or something.

Is it pointless to even start this debate.

Why do they deny God even on a christian forum.

I just don't understand.

Why even join a christian forum.

It's like going into a liquor store and denying they sell beer.

Isn't it obvious, all you gotta do is look around you.

This is quite fascinating to me.....yet I am perplexed.

It kinda reminds me of...

(Luke 16:31 He said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.")

Non believers deny God this isn't unusual and God doesn't need us to prove He exists. He does this very well himself.

Rom 1:19-21  Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.  (20)  For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:  (21)  Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Yahweh wants us to show non believers that He loves them so much.

Joh 3:16-17  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.  (17)  For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Yahweh dearly wants non believers to turn to Him.

Luk 15:7  I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

Our calling is to introduce non believers to Jesus.  

Mar 16:15  And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

I don't debate atheist. I have been in enough of those kind of debates to know that they don't go anywhere. I will gladly answer question if they want to gain knowledge. But from what I have seen most of the time they ask question to try to trip you up. Then if you can't answer the question that somehow proves to them that there is no God.

I don't debate atheist. I have been in enough of those kind of debates to know that they don't go anywhere. I will gladly answer question if they want to gain knowledge. But from what I have seen most of the time they ask question to try to trip you up. Then if you can't answer the question that somehow proves to them that there is no God.

I agree, but I'll also mention I'll follow the Spirit's leading at the time. Sometimes its best to be silent, other times something needs to be said. If someone is asking merely to trip me up, then to me that would be a  "pearls before swine" situation and I won't waste my time.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

When I joined this forum I was an atheist. I am not going to say the forum changed my mind per se, but for me it was an indication that the Holy Spirit was working on me, though I did not realize it at the time. I don't think it's necessarily a waste of time to engage with atheists.

By the way, I found certain apologetics arguments very 'helpful' in that they really got under my skin and played a pivotal role in my conversion. Looking back again I see the hand of God there, but that is what was used to reach me. I have seen many others have similar stories, so I would not assume that these things aren't important.

That's a good point LadyKay. I have been in one to many debates myself, not to mention I live with my brother who is a hardcore atheist. I also hate it when they say, "well, that's your belief and you have the right to believe that, but it doesn't make it true." Uuuuuughhh, basically you're telling them about Jesus Christ and the creator of the world, and they pass it off like your conversation is disposable or something. As if they wake up the next day and nothing we said mattered. They do however take pleasure in saying the name Jesus Christ in vain. I actually work with an atheist lady on night shift, and she sometimes says, "Jesus Christ" like it's a natural reaction when something pisses her off, and I'm like who is Jesus Christ? And she's like (well basically she makes up something vague or ignorant to say). Atheists think their exempt from any kind of judgment from God, because no God no judgment, no judgment no hell. It's quite fascinating.

That's a good point LadyKay. I have been in one to many debates myself, not to mention I live with my brother who is a hardcore atheist. I also hate it when they say, "well, that's your belief and you have the right to believe that, but it doesn't make it true." Uuuuuughhh, basically you're telling them about Jesus Christ and the creator of the world, and they pass it off like your conversation is disposable or something. As if they wake up the next day and nothing we said mattered. They do however take pleasure in saying the name Jesus Christ in vain. I actually work with an atheist lady on night shift, and she sometimes says, "Jesus Christ" like it's a natural reaction when something pisses her off, and I'm like who is Jesus Christ? And she's like (well basically she makes up something vague or ignorant to say). Atheists think their exempt from any kind of judgment from God, because no God no judgment, no judgment no hell. It's quite fascinating.

The first time I experienced conviction it was over using the name Jesus in that manner (and also God, etc). I don't think I had a specific thought when I was doing it before, it was just habit. I don't recall trying to offend anyone particularly with that.

I agree that discernment is necessary when engaging with atheists because many want to bait and mock. Some just like debate, as I did, and if you aren't into that I see no reason to do that. But again I want to put this out there, there are atheists who convert. So while I wouldn't dissuade caution on this front, don't ignore the possibility that God is drawing on someone either just because they say that they are an atheist.

The other thing is, I get the sense that maybe some are called to this debate. It's not just about 'winning over' atheists, but also putting Christianity on a firmer footing for many. Also many of the hearers of debates, if there are skilled apologists involved, make Christianity a live option for serious consideration, and that can make a very large difference on multiple fronts.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

What debating with an atheist does do, if they are serious and not just trolling, is sharpen your sword for the next battle.

if you can answer genuine concerns or even attacks from a scriptural standpoint, even if you have to go away and study the Word for a bit, that just strengthens you.

And sometimes what you have to say makes an impact. It's hard work, and thankless as well, but no one said it would be easy.

if it were easy everyone would be a believer.....

What debating with an atheist does do, if they are serious and not just trolling, is sharpen your sword for the next battle.

if you can answer genuine concerns or even attacks from a scriptural standpoint, even if you have to go away and study the Word for a bit, that just strengthens you.

And sometimes what you have to say makes an impact. It's hard work, and thankless as well, but no one said it would be easy.

if it were easy everyone would be a believer.....

You have some good points here.