• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

I have been a Christian for 1.25 yrs.

You're a christian? How do you mean if you don't mind me asking. I mean like, what is a christian to you? Blessings.

What's a Christian to you? I believe Jesus died and was resurrected on the third day and through that I have forgiveness of my sins and will live forever with God.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/07/1967

To the OP

I don't believe in debating with atheists.  I do believe in discussing issues including aspects of faith and life with them if they are open to such things.   And I agree with the basic notion of apologetics and practice it myself.

Debating though has a lot of one-upmanship, which is problematic and counterproductive.    Not to mention there is the issue of "who frames the issue" (as far as stacking the deck in their favor, leading horses to water etc.).    I will qualify a bit, and say that on occasion I think debating is beneficial.   If you are facing an opponent who has a very stereotyped view of things then that is something that can be readily dealt with by presenting various counter evidence.    But in general I think it's better to handle things in a friendly contrarian manner, rather than trying hard "to set the person straight".    But in general I do agree with this scripture as far as arguing is concerned (including debating)

Proverbs 26:17

Like one who grabs a stray dog by the ears
    is someone who rushes into a quarrel not their own.

Edited by Addai

You're a christian? How do you mean if you don't mind me asking. I mean like, what is a christian to you? Blessings.

What's a Christian to you? I believe Jesus died and was resurrected on the third day and through that I have forgiveness of my sins and will live forever with God.

Very good alpha. I think that too. It looks like you know the blueprint to salvation, but you've said that God is drawing you in still. If God is still drawing you in then you are still a non believer, no? You are still being tested in the fire so..have you made that leap of fatih yet? For example, take a look at (Romans 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.) The deception is confessing with your mouth but not truly believing in your heart. Who is Jesus Christ to you in your heart alpha. This is what separates true prophets from false prophets. Blessings.

Very good alpha. I think that too. It looks like you know the blueprint to salvation, but you've said that God is drawing you in still. If God is still drawing you in then you are still a non believer, no? You are still being tested in the fire so..have you made that leap of fatih yet? For example, take a look at (Romans 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.) The deception is confessing with your mouth but not truly believing in your heart. Who is Jesus Christ to you in your heart alpha. This is what separates true prophets from false prophets. Blessings.

I don't actually think it your place to vet who is a believer or not here. I told you I am a Christian and even added further explanation. You can either take that at face value or not. Trying to dissect my writing for any possible ambiguities is supposed to accomplish what exact?

I don't actually think it your place to vet who is a believer or not here. I told you I am a Christian and even added further explanation. You can either take that at face value or not. Trying to dissect my writing for any possible ambiguities is supposed to accomplish what exact?

Well said alpha, so I leave you at peace. Blessings. :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

Don't get me wrong here. I love a good debate about anything. But I think we need to know when to jump in and when to get out. As some people are just not ready to hear the word. So it all depends on what is being said and what not. But if it gets to the point where the debate is going nowhere, it is time to just stop. Like someone saying "prove to me that God is real". A debate like that can go on until the second coming.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

By the way, I found certain apologetics arguments very 'helpful' in that they really got under my skin and played a pivotal role in my conversion.

Alpha, I am curious as to which arguments you found "helpful".

Thanks!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  370
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

We all learn from everything around us, no matter what do we believe in as for that. The level of understanding of God's revelation varies among atheists too, for some referring to the scripture is like a red cloth, some may know the generally known 'flaws' in the Christian philosophy and try to convince a possible believer of their errant thinking.

As said before in this thread, it's mostly about planting seeds for God to cause the growth. Sticking too vehemently to the scripture may empower the atheist position, whereas peaceful but stern expressing with the whole being what it's all about may give something to think about.

I draw this view from my personal former atheist life and perception of Christianity. It is always helpful if nonbelievers come to meet someone who does not only believe in God but actually knows Him personally, through Word and personal revelation.

Remember how Jesus loved us and still does. If we only keep close to Him, He will be more able to express His love through us. Because the Father is already doing His work in the people He has sent our way.

As Fez pointed out, it is also about perfecting our strength as a bringers of the gospel. But God is love, and that truth should always be in our heart whenever we meet someone.

By the way, I found certain apologetics arguments very 'helpful' in that they really got under my skin and played a pivotal role in my conversion.

Alpha, I am curious as to which arguments you found "helpful".

Thanks!

Sure. I found Leibnizian style cosmological arguments most thought provoking (and a couple of others but those even more due to my peculiar philosophical views at that point), and I found the argument for the historicity of the resurrection compelling. The latter in particular takes a lot of work to go through though, so it's not exactly something you could toss out there in an hour discussion and do it justice.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Cool. Thanks!