alphaparticle

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,083
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I think the people in general who are less likely to believe in God are those that are trying to "be God" - "I am the master of my fate and the captain of my soul," I can change the world, I can do it on my own, etc.

Because scientists know more about the inner workings of things and are capable of, or learning to be capable of, manipulating and changing such things, it's a lot easier for them to (subconsciously) believe they are "God" - there is no "Grand Master" who created and ordained it all but we have the power to order things as we please.

Make sense?

(And notice I indicated this is subconscious - a person does not think in these terms, but that's the essence of what is in the heart, however one might express the wording of it.)

every time i've tried to run things in life i've failed....   every time.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

I think the people in general who are less likely to believe in God are those that are trying to "be God" - "I am the master of my fate and the captain of my soul," I can change the world, I can do it on my own, etc.

Because scientists know more about the inner workings of things and are capable of, or learning to be capable of, manipulating and changing such things, it's a lot easier for them to (subconsciously) believe they are "God" - there is no "Grand Master" who created and ordained it all but we have the power to order things as we please.

Make sense?

(And notice I indicated this is subconscious - a person does not think in these terms, but that's the essence of what is in the heart, however one might express the wording of it.)

Yes. One of the recruiting posters for the physics department read "Master the Universe!". When people start to explain what they are doing and why, say, "why are we doing research at the LHC" I've heard things like "to know the mind of God" etc. I think you have a valid point here in that science can be such a powerful tool in terms of predicting and controlling nature perhaps that alone mitigates against religious belief by building up a particular sort of pride.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Make sense?

Yes,this does make sense. :mgcheerful:

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Make sense?

every time i've tried to run things in life i've failed....   every time.

Everytime I have tried to run my own life God has given me a dose of humble.....and it was not fun. :(

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/20/1980

Good day Alpha,

but maybe it also has to do with the Roman Catholic Church, among others, having spoken against science.

For me, the proceedings against Galileo Galilei is such an example. The RCC punished and threatened him just because of having expressed a scientific opinion. Even if his opinion wasn't the science of the day, why punish?

When people think of Christianity and science these days, this is certainly one of the first things popping up in their minds, I think.

For this reason youngsters who want to become scientist might be predisposed against Christianity.

Thomas

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

For me, the proceedings against Galileo Galilei is such an example. The RCC punished and threatened him just because of having expressed a scientific opinion. Even if his opinion wasn't the science of the day, why punish?

Unfortunately, the story that has been passed down to us is not the full story. Galileo had been friends with the newly appointed pope. In speaking with the pope about his desire to publish a book on his discovery, the pope granted Galileo permission - but only if he did not promote heliocentricsm and also presented the pope's words on the matter. So Galileo presented his book in the form of the story, that not only promoted heliocentrism but also made the view of the Church and the words of the pope being presented by a man name Simplicio, who argued in a way that his name implied (obviously an insult).  During this period in time, the pope had been under a lot of attack. Thus, he broke half of his promise and made a fool out of the pope during a time the pope was vulnerable. The bottom line is that if Galileo had acted more discretely and less arrogantly, he would have been fine.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/20/1980

Unfortunately, the story that has been passed down to us is not the full story. Galileo had been friends with the newly appointed pope. In speaking with the pope about his desire to publish a book on his discovery, the pope granted Galileo permission - but only if he did not promote heliocentricsm and also presented the pope's words on the matter. So Galileo presented his book in the form of the story, that not only promoted heliocentrism but also made the view of the Church and the words of the pope being presented by a man name Simplicio, who argued in a way that his name implied (obviously an insult).  During this period in time, the pope had been under a lot of attack. Thus, he broke half of his promise and made a fool out of the pope during a time the pope was vulnerable. The bottom line is that if Galileo had acted more discretely and less arrogantly, he would have been fine.

Good day Neb,

from what I read in wikipedia, the "Dialogue" was banned obviously for being insulting. You seem to be right with this one.

However, according to the same article, he was found guilty of heresy and because of this reason he had to spend the rest of his life under house arrest.

The verdict could have centered solely around a promise. The article further mentions that the inquisition board in 1633 focused on the fact that in 1616 he was ordered not to teach heliocetrism. Giving an order is not the same as receiving a promise, as you surely would agree.

A broken promise to a man concerning one's own free speech should, in my opinion, not result in a punishment, anyway.

Thomas

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

Good day Alpha,

but maybe it also has to do with the Roman Catholic Church, among others, having spoken against science.

When people think of Christianity and science these days, this is certainly one of the first things popping up in their minds, I think.

For this reason youngsters who want to become scientist might be predisposed against Christianity.

Thomas

I don't think that explains it Thomas to be honest. I don't know who goes into science thinking "the RCC punished Galileo therefore I am not going to be a Christian". It seems to be a bit of a stretch.