• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Am I a "nice" person?  Guess it depends on what you define as nice.

Does a "nice" person ever lose their temper just a little bit, be grouchy on occasion, snap at someone every now and again, have a "thought" about someone who has been inconsiderate, get frustrated with the thousands of idiots driving in front/alongside/behind me nearly every day?

But on the other hand is considered "nice" by his friends and family and church, even though they know (because he does not hide it), the aforesaid then I guess yeah sort of......

Like most of us I would venture to guess.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  3

Much love to you...I was and still am a "good person"...That's just it-a person...I used to think being "a good person" would get me to Heaven-but at that time there was still Something (Someone) missing in my life...My my...was my thinking wrong...More than anything...now...There are no masks...there is no pretending anymore...when I was born again-I was changed-alot...and now there is alots of Truth that has come to me and is in me...I'm so real it hurts sometimes...just bare bones and simple...nothing is hidden anymore...That is free-ing!!! Whew...Jesus-You did it!!! Yeah!!!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

Another idea on it:  people are attracted to Mormonism not because they believe in its contrived books, but that LDS people seem to be sweet and family oriented (I don't know if this is universally the case, however).  But it leads to a false religion.  So people are attracted, I think, to good behavior.  It helps if the people exhibit exemplary behavior and most importantly, have hold on the Truth.  It is a red herring as far as Truth goes, but sometimes those who exhibit Christlikeness are of other faiths.  I think the Dalai Lama embodies more core values than some televangelists I've seen.

There's 'fake' niceness too. I don't know gray. I'm not really moved by these considerations. I think I am as 'nice' that way as I was as an atheist. I know plenty of atheists who are very generous to charity with both time and money, as well as generally thoughtful in their lives. I know very nice and kind people across all faiths and cultures. Maybe the Dalai Lama is a really great guy. Maybe he puts on an act because that's what is expected of him. If people want to join a religion based on how 'nice' they perceive some people that doesn't seem essentially different to me than choosing a scientific theory based on how 'nice' you think one scientist is over another.

How was Ghandi an enemy when he was more Christ like.....

~

Ghandi?

And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: Hebrews 9:27

More

Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. Matthew 1:23

For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Hebrews 4:15

Jesus

And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him. Mark 16:6

Really?

Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. John 8:51

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

Sure there are nice people everywhere. But Christians are called to be charitable, as an earlier post pointed out. Nothing like a rude driver with a fish on the back of his car.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

While I think it's good to try to be nice/kind to others, I don't think 'mean' Christians are why unbelievers are unbelievers. They are unbelievers because they don't think the gospel is true, for many reasons.

God takes believers and makes us more like Christ over time, whether we like it or not. Sometimes unbelievers recognize the Spirit in us, and actually hate *that*, no matter how nice you think are you trying to be. Also some will think you are a jerk for speaking the truth, no matter how respectful you think you are being.

I agree.  They choose not to believe.  We speak the truth.  We are not going to say something is OK when we know it is not.  We as believers live by the word of God.  It's not always pleasant to hear the truth but it's the truth that will set you free.  We are not going to go along with the world, and put our stamp of approval on things of the world or things are are an absolute no in the Bible.  There are no gray areas in the Bible.  Yes is yes and no is no.  It says let your yea be yea and your nay be nay.  Giving gray areas to people ends up sending them the wrong  message and that can be a matter of their eternity either in Heaven or Hell.  I would rather speak the truth and have them mad at me then to have them spend eternity in Hell because I didn't tell them the truth. As Christians we are doubly accountable and we need to take that seriously.

Sure there are nice people everywhere. But Christians are called to be charitable, as an earlier post pointed out. Nothing like a rude driver with a fish on the back of his car.

~

Nothing Like A Really Charitable (Loving) Dude

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. 1 John 2:15-17

Who Knows Your House Is On Fire

And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. Mark 9:47-48

And He Says Your OK

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Romans 3:23

Relax And Sleep

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23

Brother

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. John 3:16-18

Sleep

The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:35-36

I am not advocating a feel good gospel. We must be truthful yet always gracious. I agree with you Rusty on that. But be charitable even when it's uncomfortable

Edited by gray wolf

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I too cringe when I see people or hear people that are  I know are saved and they use deplorable language or treat others badly.  That is something they need to deal with and believe me God will deal with them.  I try and live my life so that people that see me have no doubt who I belong to.  But again I'm not going to forgo the truth just to make someone feel better.  But yes we as believers need to get our act together and start walking our talk.  

Agree! We should not make people feel good at the expense of their souls. That was not the intent of my post.