gray wolf

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

I seem to recall that Ghandi said he would have become a Christian if not for the Christians he knew.

Good verses Randal. It is something to strive for.

If Ghandi were truly seeking the Lord, nothing could have kept him away from Jesus. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

I am reminded of the car salesman who told his customers that the car he sold was the best there ever was.  But then they saw he owned and drove another make.  They thought that he was being a hypocrite and doubted his claims about the car he sold.  But that doesn't mean he was not telling the truth.  The car was truly the best car on earth.

As a humorous aside, Bertrand Russell wrote an essay on nice people.  He concluded that they have nasty minds!!!

Edited by gray wolf

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

some of his quotes got me interested in metaphysics years ago.   [Can we really know anything] has always intrigued my mind

Yes, he was brilliant. Some if his essays are very good

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/07/1967

To the OP

Yes Christians should be nice.    I think most of the damage does not come from the average "Christian on the street" (with exceptions given to people like the Westboro Baptists naturally), but Christians in specific areas of authority.

1) Christian Parochial schools and "Christian" parents.

2) Clergy   (Especially those that make the papers and TV with scandals, or who have outlandish ministerial TV shows).

3) "Christian" Nations that do not live up to their Faith.   (i.e. - Gandhi being turned off from Christianity because the cruelty of the British, the treatment of the Native Americans and African slaves by the U.S. etc.)

Edited by Addai

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  145
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

How was Ghandi an enemy when he was more Christ like than a lot of Christians are today and were in the past?

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Every time I get angry at the person who cuts me off in traffic, God reminds me that I also have been guilty of doing this. Most of us do so in error (which also is sin) because the car was in our blind spot and we were unaware of it even though our mirrors are well adjusted. Few of us do this on purpose. We are alive today by the grace of God. Most of us go through life like Mr. MaGoo, totally unaware of the sins we unintentionly committed or the disasters God has spared us from.

But those who should be hung out to dry are: the ones who rudely and recklessly rush through traffic and cut people off, or those who text and talk while driving thereby swerving across lanes, or else those who slow to a crawl due to their inattentiveness. It does make me long for the days we had stocks in the town square to put them in and we could bless them by "kindly" throwing tomatoes at them. Public humilliation can be an effective deterent.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

How was Ghandi an enemy when he was more Christ like than a lot of Christians are today and were in the past?

Everyone, by default, is held captive in satan's camp and is condemned to hell. Satan is the god of this world. The only way we can be rescued from his dominion is to call out to God and receive the salvation provided by Jesus when He died on the cross for our sins. We just need to acknowledge our need for God's help because we have no hope. No one is good enough to go to heaven in God's definition of goodness. We must confess our sinfulness which seperates us from God and ask Him to forgive us.

Being Christ like does not get us to heaven. We must be born of God's Spirit by receiving Christ, our Creator, into our lives.

"But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born not of blood, nor of the will of flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." John 1:12-13 NKJV

" For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23.NKJV

Jesus gave His life for us, and in return we gratefully give our lives to Him which makes us a part of God's Kingdom.

"For if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved". Romans 10:9 NASV

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

I think about it this way. There are how many people on earth claiming to be christian? It doesn't take immense reflection to realize that of those people, how many more are claiming that identity because of family and social pressure. What percentage are likely to have it as something of the utmost importance in their lives? I knew this as an atheist. Most unbelievers I knew who ran the "christians are nasty" argument knew it also. They were doing it solely to gain rhetorical points, not because of a real sense of personal hurt. They know all too well it puts believers on the defensive. If I am cynical about stuff like this it is due precisely to those experiences.

How about we stop worrying about catering to unbelievers and worry more about being genuinely what God wants us to be. If I tell someone what I think is the truth, that is out of respect for that person. If I try to water it down, that is out of worry that they will think that I am a jerk- it's self serving. Yes, I can and should try to speak respectfully, but the fact that I am claiming to follow the one and only objective truth about the world is just going to offend some, no matter how you dress it up.

Another idea on it:  people are attracted to Mormonism not because they believe in its contrived books, but that LDS people seem to be sweet and family oriented (I don't know if this is universally the case, however).  But it leads to a false religion.  So people are attracted, I think, to good behavior.  It helps if the people exhibit exemplary behavior and most importantly, have hold on the Truth.  It is a red herring as far as Truth goes, but sometimes those who exhibit Christlikeness are of other faiths.  I think the Dalai Lama embodies more core values than some televangelists I've seen.

Edited by gray wolf