• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

How to Overcome Depression With Christ  

Have you ever had a dark cloud that seemed to follow you around everywhere you go?   As much as the modern day psychologist would love to tell you that you suffer from depression, I’m going to challenge there diagnosis and mention that it could be a spirit of heaviness or an “unclean spirit” that has been assigned to you by Satan to keep your mind in chains.

THE EFFECT OF A SPIRIT OF HEAVINESS

It darkens our countenance: Our hearts are down cast. This spirit brings a “heaviness” over us.. It dims our vision, robs our hope. The room may actually look darker.

It brings a heavy, oppressive feeling. It quenches our faith. It may come over many at once , like a plague. It can be like a cloud, hanging over a place. It causes us to isolate, it steals our love, makes us feel alone.

Medication is Man’s Answer to Healing

I was diagnosed with depression at the age of 16 while attending high school in my home town.  The doctors recommended that I take 20mg per day of a drug that I just found out offers a shocking statistic.  One and sixty people who take this medication commit suicide and that alone is insane!  How could a drug that is met to “cure” depression also cause 1 person of every 60 to kill themselves?

The answer is simple, drugs don’t fix the problems, they cover them up like a bandaid and the more you take them, the more you ignore the real issue at hand.

Here is God’s cure for depression

To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.  Isaiah 61:3

Did you just see what I did?  The cure for the spirit of heaviness is praise.  What exactly is praise?  Let’s look at the Greek definition of praise.

λατρεύω (la-TREHV-oh) means to worship or adore.

Now the word worship in Greek is (proskuneo) is “to fall down before” or “bow down before.”

When we hear praise and worship we think of singing our favourite songs or reading hymes at church service, but how often do we got down on our hands and knees and cry out for God?  Is God the ruler of your life?

Do you take time everyday using preventative maintenance by praising and worshiping our father?  

If you only go to him when you need something than its no wonder the spirit of heaviness is coming around for daily visits.

Before your next attack or during one try to give thanks to God for everything you have. 

It is impossible to receive God’s grace without thanksgiving.  Grace can cover you like a warm blanket and make all your worries vanish into thin air.  If you are depressed also try thanking God for everything in your life.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

If demons are the only cause for depression, that would mean demons can be overcome with a pill.

Good point, man.  And we all know only faith in God can take down a demon.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

Have you ever had a dark cloud that seemed to follow you around everywhere you go?   As much as the modern day psychologist would love to tell you that you suffer from depression, I’m going to challenge there diagnosis and mention that it could be a spirit of heaviness or an “unclean spirit” that has been assigned to you by Satan to keep your mind in chains.

THE EFFECT OF A SPIRIT OF HEAVINESS

It darkens our countenance: Our hearts are down cast. This spirit brings a “heaviness” over us.. It dims our vision, robs our hope. The room may actually look darker.

It brings a heavy, oppressive feeling. It quenches our faith. It may come over many at once , like a plague. It can be like a cloud, hanging over a place. It causes us to isolate, it steals our love, makes us feel alone.

Medication is Man’s Answer to Healing

I was diagnosed with depression at the age of 16 while attending high school in my home town.  The doctors recommended that I take 20mg per day of a drug that I just found out offers a shocking statistic.  One and sixty people who take this medication commit suicide and that alone is insane!  How could a drug that is met to “cure” depression also cause 1 person of every 60 to kill themselves?

The answer is simple, drugs don’t fix the problems, they cover them up like a bandaid and the more you take them, the more you ignore the real issue at hand.

Here is God’s cure for depression

To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.  Isaiah 61:3

Did you just see what I did?  The cure for the spirit of heaviness is praise.  What exactly is praise?  Let’s look at the Greek definition of praise.

λατρεύω (la-TREHV-oh) means to worship or adore.

Now the word worship in Greek is (proskuneo) is “to fall down before” or “bow down before.”

When we hear praise and worship we think of singing our favourite songs or reading hymes at church service, but how often do we got down on our hands and knees and cry out for God?  Is God the ruler of your life?

Do you take time everyday using preventative maintenance by praising and worshiping our father?  

If you only go to him when you need something than its no wonder the spirit of heaviness is coming around for daily visits.

Before your next attack or during one try to give thanks to God for everything you have. 

It is impossible to receive God’s grace without thanksgiving.  Grace can cover you like a warm blanket and make all your worries vanish into thin air.  If you are depressed also try thanking God for everything in your life.

Amen brother! I totally agree with you!

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  11/07/1956

Amen..

great information.. thanks

stace

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

If demons are the only cause for depression, that would mean demons can be overcome with a pill.

Didn't flyerboy mention that the pills don't actually work, they just cover the problem up??  Or is that what you're saying in agreement also?

Didn't flyerboy mention that the pills don't actually work, they just cover the problem up??  Or is that what you're saying in agreement also?

I don't believe that to be true. Demons may be the cause for some of the symptoms, but not all. 

I take Effexor twice a day. On the day these were prescribed to me, I was seriously thinking about ending my life. I did not want to face another day with my head as messed up as it was. Those pills brought order back into my life. I was able to see straight and realize that all the chaos was only imagined. Depression really messes with an individual's ability to think. It sucks the life right out of a person. No matter how positive you try to be, those thoughts and attitudes are short lived. Depression will find a way to worm it's way into your thinking and convince you that it's just not worth it. Whatever "it" is. 

If demons were truly the cause for all depression, the meds we take shouldn't have any effect on the depression. But that's not the case. Within a couple days after starting my meds, my world did a complete turn around. If my depression was connected with demons in any way, they disappeared when I started taking those pills. 

I personally don't believe demons have anything to do with depression. Not all forms of it anyway. People should never be discouraged from seeking help for their depression. Depression ruins a lot of lives because of the shame associated with it. 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  11/07/1956

I know I am new here, but if I may freely add my thoughts on it...

I would think that a pill that really helps would be just a first step to clearing the mind and allowing the person to

further seek the Lord on a complete healing of the matter. 

As we seek the kingdom of God first, and His righteousness.. all these things are added to us.. and that includes all things we need.. ie.. free from a natural illness to being free from a spiritual attack. 

:hurrah:

I know I am new here, but if I may freely add my thoughts on it...

I would think that a pill that really helps would be just a first step to clearing the mind and allowing the person to

further seek the Lord on a complete healing of the matter. 

As we seek the kingdom of God first, and His righteousness.. all these things are added to us.. and that includes all things we need.. ie.. free from a natural illness to being free from a spiritual attack. 

:hurrah:

I totally agree with that.  :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum.   :th_wave:

And Happy Birthday!!!!!   :hurrah: 

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

There have been many people who have died because they refused medical assistance.  As with most MH medications, they help balance a persons chemicals so the person can work through the issue.  Ask any doctor and they will tell you that medication does not fix the problem, just assists the natural ability to correct itself.

God created our bodies to function in a certain manner, fighting off diseases and correcting faults, yet, when the body is damaged to an extent, medication can assist in this ability. Take pain killer.  They do not heal what is causing the pain, they just make it possible to bare the pain through making one "feel better".

Faith is a strange thing ... one can easily mistake self righteousness as faith.  There are times when God prefers not to heal someone for a reason that will not be knows until some time later.  We cannot see how our depression we feel today will help someone 10 years down the road, but He can.  I suggest that instead of believing that God will always heal, placing faith in "faith healing", one should put their faith in His will and truly trust Him.  I went through 38 years of drug addiction, and guess what, I help drug addicts daily.  Through my drug addiction, I developed certain diseases, and today I help those who have the same disease. I have lived through homelessness for a long time, yet today I help the homeless every day.  If I had tried to "force" Gods hand in any of the above, I woudl of lost faith in Him and would not be able to do His will today.

Paul was a great follower of Christ and his words are:

And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.