GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

I have modified the title of this article slightly as I think it is a great review on Tullian Tchividjian’s One Way Love: Inexhaustible Grace for an Exhausted World.

What are your thoughts?

One Way Love: An Antidote to Legalism?
OWLreview1-595x290.jpeg

11 November 2013, 06:00 by JohnC

The Bible is one long story of God meeting our rebellion with His rescue, our sin with His salvation, our guilt with His grace, our badness with His goodness. The overwhelming focus of the Bible is not the work of the redeemed but the work of the Redeemer. Which means that the Bible is not first a recipe book for Christian living but a revelation book of Jesus who is the answer to our un-Christian living.” ~ Tullian Tchividjian

Featured_Image.jpg

Tchividjian, pastor of Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church in Fort Lauderdale, FL, is the grandson of evangelist Billy Graham. In his late teens and early twenties, Tullian rebelled against God and his family, wandering away from the faith that his grandfather preached with such passion. However, rather than being cast out and rejected by his family, Tullian found that his family never stopped reaching out to him, caring for him, and praying for him. It was this “one way love” of God, flowing through his family, that ultimately led Tullian back to Christ. Tchividjian utilizes his personal testimony along with narratives from the life and ministry of Christ to weave a beautiful picture of how God’s “one-way love” transforms our lives.

I think there are three primary reasons why this book is extremely powerful in combating Gothardism.

First, Tchividjian very winsomely explains the role of grace in the life of the believer. Tchividjian is no theological lightweight, and he finds a way to make familiar stories from Christ’s ministry come alive with rich and new meaning. For me, I realized that in past readings my primary focus has been on the wrong characters. In the story of Zacchaeus, I’ve always focused on what Zacchaeus did to make things right. When Mary anoints Jesus’ feet with perfume, I focused on what she did. However, Tchividjian focuses our attention on what Jesus did, the grace and love that he showed. The actions of Zacchaeus and Mary were born out of gratitude and freedom, not by a desire to merit God’s love.

Secondly, Tchividjian very clearly shows how performance-based living, or legalism, is addictive and destructive. In chapter three, he writes this about “performancism”: “This we understand. This we like. The outcome of our lives remains firmly in our hands. ‘Give me five principles for raising exemplary children, and I can guarantee myself a happy family if I just obey those five principles.’ If we can do certain things, meet certain standards (whether God’s, our own, our parents’, our spouse’s, society’s, whomever’s), and become a certain way, then we’ll make it. It feels like it works— at least that’s what we’ve been told. Conditionality lets us feel safe, because it breeds a sense of manageability. The equation “If I do this, then you are obligated to do that” keeps life formulaic and predictable, and more important, it keeps the earning power in our camp.” Yet, legalism produces the opposite result of what we desire. He writes, “The ironic thing about legalism is that it not only doesn’t make people work harder, it makes them give up. Moralism doesn’t produce morality; rather, it produces immorality.”

Thirdly, Tchividjian also does a masterful job of dismantling many of the misconceptions other believers have about those who pursue gospel-centered, grace-based living. One such example is found in the penultimate chapter, when Tchividjian addresses the issue of “antinomianism.” Antinomianism is the belief that the law is irrelevant and unimportant for the Christian, and is a philosophy which Gothard has oft accused his critics of espousing. Gothard has “warned” in several writings that those who believe grace to be God’s unmerited favor are in danger of turning grace into a license to sin. However, Tullian believes this to be utterly impossible, stating that antinomianism is an impossible heresy. Those who have truly been captivated by God’s grace are not capable of abusing it, and those that turn to licentiousness are simply substituting their own law for God’s. According to Tchividjian, “grace inspires what the Law demands. The Law prescribes good works, but only grace can produce them.”

I cannot recommend this book more highly. If you’re a recovering legalist like me, this book is for you. If you still find yourself occasionally looking back and wondering if the Bible really is just about principles and steps for this, that, and the other, then this book is for you. If you need something to reassure you that God’s grace extends beyond your greatest sin, this book is for you. If you find that you constantly beat yourself up because you aren’t doing enough for God, this book is for you.

God’s grace is inexhaustible. Don’t exhaust yourself trying to earn it.

Source

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Which means that the Bible is not first a recipe book for Christian living but a revelation book of Jesus who is the answer to our un-Christian living

That line stands out to me more than anything else.  

The poor little reed blows with the wind while the mighty oak, firm and unmoving, is broken in half when the wind is strong enough.

Thirdly, Tchividjian also does a masterful job of dismantling many of the misconceptions other believers have about those who pursue gospel-centered, grace-based living. One such example is found in the penultimate chapter, when Tchividjian addresses the issue of “antinomianism.” Antinomianism is the belief that the law is irrelevant and unimportant for the Christian, and is a philosophy which Gothard has oft accused his critics of espousing. Gothard has “warned” in several writings that those who believe grace to be God’s unmerited favor are in danger of turning grace into a license to sin. However, Tullian believes this to be utterly impossible, stating that antinomianism is an impossible heresy. Those who have truly been captivated by God’s grace are not capable of abusing it, and those that turn to licentiousness are simply substituting their own law for God’s. According to Tchividjian, “grace inspires what the Law demands. The Law prescribes good works, but only grace can produce them.”

Yeah...that sounds familiar

Some other good quotes from this author:

"Rest assured: Before God, the righteousness of Christ is all we need; before God, the righteousness of Christ is all we have." - Tullian Tchividjian

"My observation of Christendom is that most of us tend to base our relationship with God on our performance instead of on His grace." - Tullian Tchividjian

“The hub of Christianity is not “do something for Jesus.” The hub of Christianity is “Jesus has done everything for you.” I fear that too many people, both inside and outside the church, have heard this plea for intensified devotion and concluded that the focus of the Christian faith is our love for God instead of God’s love for us.” - Tullian Tchividjian

"I heartily "amen" the desire to take faith seriously and demonstrate before the watching world a willingness sacrificially serve our neighbors rather than ourselves. The unintended consequence of this push, however, is that if we're not careful we can give the impression that Christianity is first and foremost about the sacrifice we make for Jesus rather than the sacrifice Jesus made for us; our performance for him rather than his performance for us; our obedience for him rather than his obedience for us." -  Tullian Tchividjian

Also...

"Your identity is firmly anchored in Christ's accomplishment, not yours; his strength, not yours; his performance, not yours; his victory, not yours." - Tullian Tchividjian

“The world isn't scandalized by our freedom but by our fakeness.” - Tullian Tchividjian

“God's ability to clean things up is infinitely greater than our ability to mess things up.” - Tullian Tchividjian

Which means that the Bible is not first a recipe book for Christian living but a revelation book of Jesus who is the answer to our un-Christian living

The poor little reed blows with the wind while the mighty oak, firm and unmoving, is broken in half when the wind is strong enough.

Thirdly, Tchividjian also does a masterful job of dismantling many of the misconceptions other believers have about those who pursue gospel-centered, grace-based living. One such example is found in the penultimate chapter, when Tchividjian addresses the issue of “antinomianism.” Antinomianism is the belief that the law is irrelevant and unimportant for the Christian, and is a philosophy which Gothard has oft accused his critics of espousing. Gothard has “warned” in several writings that those who believe grace to be God’s unmerited favor are in danger of turning grace into a license to sin. However, Tullian believes this to be utterly impossible, stating that antinomianism is an impossible heresy. Those who have truly been captivated by God’s grace are not capable of abusing it, and those that turn to licentiousness are simply substituting their own law for God’s. According to Tchividjian, “grace inspires what the Law demands. The Law prescribes good works, but only grace can produce them.”

See some of the other quotes. Yeah, the story is about "Jesus is the answer" not just a "recipe book for holiness". :thumbsup:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

"Rest assured: Before God, the righteousness of Christ is all we need; before God, the righteousness of Christ is all we have." - Tullian Tchividjian

"My observation of Christendom is that most of us tend to base our relationship with God on our performance instead of on His grace." - Tullian Tchividjian

“The hub of Christianity is not “do something for Jesus.” The hub of Christianity is “Jesus has done everything for you.” I fear that too many people, both inside and outside the church, have heard this plea for intensified devotion and concluded that the focus of the Christian faith is our love for God instead of God’s love for us.” - Tullian Tchividjian

"I heartily "amen" the desire to take faith seriously and demonstrate before the watching world a willingness sacrificially serve our neighbors rather than ourselves. The unintended consequence of this push, however, is that if we're not careful we can give the impression that Christianity is first and foremost about the sacrifice we make for Jesus rather than the sacrifice Jesus made for us; our performance for him rather than his performance for us; our obedience for him rather than his obedience for us." -  Tullian Tchividjian

these are fascinating quotes. I think one thing that I tend to think about when considering these issues is how Christianity is different from other faiths in the world. In Islam, if you do x y and z, in the end, you hope your good deeds outweigh your bad ones and God lets you into Paradise. Same with Buddhism, you have a karmic debt, try to pay it off, through good deeds, meditation and so on. Everywhere you are trying to make yourself worthy, somehow. Sure, you can get help. In Islam God will forgive you. In Buddhism other people who have gotten enlightenment can help you (in some traditions). So that someone can 'help' isn't the difference. The difference is, in my understanding, that in Christianity Jesus does it *all*, everything, every bit. Our acts aren't *just* a response of gratitude, they are a response of a change that God has wrought in us. This is my experience so far and what I understand from the relevant scripture anyway.

What does anyone need with his book?  Why do we need the Bible?  Why not just tell someone that they need to believe in Jesus and leave it at that?  If you do read the Bible, and see how Paul kept his body in subjection so he won't be a castaway, and how certain sins will keep you out of the Kingdom of Heaven, you might actually try to stop doing certain things?  You might care about personal performance?  I mean, if you read that adulterers won't inherit the Kingdom of Heaven, if you are a womanizer, you might get scared and stop cheating?  We can't have that.  That would be legalism, and performance based salvation.  You might have a drunk who reads about how drunkards won't inherit the Kingdom of Heaven.  They might get scared and stop drinking?  That is a performance based salvation, and we can't have that.  That would be addictive and destructive to our mental health.  Just throw out your Bibles, don't waste money on this book, and do as Joyce Meyers suggested, "Try not to try." 

The one thing I would say about this is if you are a woman and your husband is a professing Christian and he cheats on you, don't judge him and think he isn't really saved.  He is just taking full advantage of his Christian freedom.  If you are living with a drunk who spends money that should go to food on alcohol, and he is a Sunday School teacher, don't get upset with him.  He is enjoying his Christian freedom.  Make sure he doesn't see that scripture about how a man that doesn't provide for his family is worse than an infidel and denying the faith.  That might cause him to fall into destructive behavior of a performance based religion?  He is actually better than the man who is faithful because adultery is a sin, and the man who stops drinking because he wants to make it to heaven.  Eat, drink and be merry folks, and don't try to live right.  What a great religion you have. 

It sounds familiar because it is legitimate.  But hey, if it is impossible for a real Christian to abuse God's grace, we don't need the church, we don't need a Bible, we don't need this guy's book.  We can't fail.  Why did the Bible even give us warnings about bad behavior?  I guess it was just to take up space, and make the book longer?  Why do we need fellowship with other believers as we see the day of the Lord approaching?  It is a heresy to think we can abuse God's grace and fall?  What a wonderful salvation you liberated Christians have found?  It is amazing, and yet I still feel the need to try to follow the Bible's teachings?  I still feel bad if I sin.  There is definitely something wrong here. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Also...

"Your identity is firmly anchored in Christ's accomplishment, not yours; his strength, not yours; his performance, not yours; his victory, not yours." - Tullian Tchividjian

“The world isn't scandalized by our freedom but by our fakeness.” - Tullian Tchividjian

“God's ability to clean things up is infinitely greater than our ability to mess things up.” - Tullian Tchividjian

Yes.  I wonder how many Christians would actually be able to 'spell' out what their identity in Christ is...I know I couldn't until I had an 'identity crisis'

That is when I set out to find some answers that change your life when you understand them.  All in scritpure, like so:

John 1:12...I am a child of God

John 15:15...I am Christ's friend

John 15:16...I am chosen and appointed by Christ to bear His fruit (that is, a Christ-like life)

Romans 8:17...I am a joint heir with Christ, sharing His inheritance with Him

I Cor. 3:16; 6:19...I am a temple...a dwelling place...of God.  His Spirit and His life dwell in me  (love this...wonderful to think this is actually so!)

I Cor. 12:27 & Eph. 5:30...I am a member of Christ's body

II Cor. 5:17  I AM A NEW CREATION!!!

II Cor. 5:18,19...I am reconciled to God and am a minister of reconciliation

Eph. 1:1, I Cor 1:2, Phil 1:1, Col 1:2...I am a saint (not a sinner, thank God!)

Eph. 2:10...I am God's workmanship...his handwork...born anew in Christ to do His work

and that's really just a small portion of what Scritpure has to say about our identity IN Christ

That is exciting and encouraging and I find as I read through the list, my spirit feels alive and I want to shout "Thank you Jesus"...seriously, that is how these words from God to us make me "feel"...

but more than just feelings, they are truth and light and life

these are fascinating quotes. I think one thing that I tend to think about when considering these issues is how Christianity is different from other faiths in the world. In Islam, if you do x y and z, in the end, you hope your good deeds outweigh your bad ones and God lets you into Paradise. Same with Buddhism, you have a karmic debt, try to pay it off, through good deeds, meditation and so on. Everywhere you are trying to make yourself worthy, somehow. Sure, you can get help. In Islam God will forgive you. In Buddhism other people who have gotten enlightenment can help you (in some traditions). So that someone can 'help' isn't the difference. The difference is, in my understanding, that in Christianity Jesus does it *all*, everything, every bit. Our acts aren't *just* a response of gratitude, they are a response of a change that God has wrought in us. This is my experience so far and what I understand from the relevant scripture anyway.

I agreee with you and particularly in bold. :thumbsup:

I agree Jesus has completely paid the price for our sins.

I agree when we obey Him we're simply responding with gratitude.

I agree God is the one doing the change in our lives.