• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hey guys and gals,

My name is Andy and I am a CRNA by trade (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist).  I'm blessed with lots of vacation and want to take a medical missionary trip where I provide anesthesia for needy folks.  The trouble is, I can't find a group to go with.  Google is no help because I run across strange groups who seem more intent on getting money from me than me actually joining them.  

I grew up protestant, but I have no problem working with fellow Catholic Christians. I'm more than willing to pay for my own travel, lodging and food items.  I just need a reputable group.  

If you have a church group or organization you'd recommend, please let me know.  My time frame would be for next year, and I appreciate any and all help you can provide.

thanks,

Andy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Hey guys and gals,

My name is Andy and I am a CRNA by trade (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist).  I'm blessed with lots of vacation and want to take a medical missionary trip where I provide anesthesia for needy folks.  The trouble is, I can't find a group to go with.  Google is no help because I run across strange groups who seem more intent on getting money from me than me actually joining them.  

I grew up protestant, but I have no problem working with fellow Catholic Christians. I'm more than willing to pay for my own travel, lodging and food items.  I just need a reputable group.  

If you have a church group or organization you'd recommend, please let me know.  My time frame would be for next year, and I appreciate any and all help you can provide.

thanks,

Andy

I did a google search on 'short term christian medical mission trips'. I got a bunch of hits.

Among the hits was Samaritans Purse. They send doctors, dentists and nurses. I have heard the name before. Their site has a lot of information.

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/what-we-do/world-medical-mission-2/

Their statement of faith is as follows:

Samaritan’s Purse bases its ministry on the following statement of faith:

• We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. II Timothy 3:15-17.

• We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Matthew 28:19; Ephesians 4:4-6.

• We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory. John 1:1-4; Matthew 1:23; Philippians 2:5-11; Hebrews 1:1-4 & 4:15; Acts 1:11 & 2:22-24; I Corinthians 15:3-4.

• We believe that, for the salvation of lost and sinful man, repentance of sin and faith in Jesus Christ results in regeneration by the Holy Spirit and that Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation. Titus 3:4-7; Luke 24:46-47; Ephesians 2:8-9; John 14:6; Acts 4:12.

• We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit whose indwelling enables the Christian to live a godly life. Galatians 5:16-18; Romans 8:9.

• We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the saved unto the resurrection of eternal life and the lost unto the resurrection of damnation and eternal punishment. Revelation 20:11-15; I Corinthians 15:51-57.

• We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ and that all true believers are members of His body, the Church. Ephesians 1:22-23; I Corinthians 12:12, 27.

• We believe that the ministry of evangelism is a responsibility of both the Church and each Christian. Romans 10:9-15; Acts 1:8; Matthew 28:18-20; I Peter 3:15

Adding another link to Samaritans purse:

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/medical/serve-with-world-medical-mission/

This is run by Franklin Graham.

Q thanks for the help.  Sadly, this appears quite often.  I will fill out an application, and then continue looking.  

"ONLINE VOLUNTEER APPLICATION

ATTENTION NURSES: No placement opportunities for nurses are currently available. Your application will be kept on file and we will contact you when new opportunities for service arise."

No worries, I will continue my search. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

Perhaps they would consider an nurse anesthetist. I would apply with that credential, since not so many nurses have it.

A note, I have heard some native pastors complain that ships that come with medical aide make it more difficult for their work. The Christians of the mountains of Viet Nam and Cambodia are badly persecuted, and the converts come wanting the same services the ship had provided. The poor churches are unable to do that. They are supposed to work with the native churches but many there are reluctant to reveal their presence due to the persecution.

There are other mission organizations that use medical services as a means to enter a country where Christians are otherwise not welcome. However, they probably are looking for a longer commitment.

Thanks for the help folks, I filled out the application for Samaritan's Purse and now am waiting for their response.  If you have any personal experience of another medical missionary group, please let me know.  

I want to serve.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I know the work they do in Mozambique, and our good friend Paul, the doctor running the mission in Zavara recently died in zavara.

Contact them they are always looking for volunteers.

And they are Christian...

Doctors For Life is committed to upholding the rights of all healthcare professionals to freedom of conscience as enshrined in the South African Constitution, so as to not have to participate in the practice of performing abortions.