IGNORED

Is Suicide on the Rise in this world?

Guest Thomas I Believe

Guest Thomas I believe

Greetings Brothers and Sisters in Christ, I have always pondered this question. Is suicide more evident today or is it the same just more noticed. Or is it on the rise with all the hurting people in the world we live in. A lot of us have been affected by news of a suicide, sometimes very personally affected. I remember growing up as a young boy on the family farm and seeing the cop cars at the neighbors farm and finding out the dad had shot himself with a deer rifle intentionally. Even at age 7 I was shocked and had been taught (although catholic at that time) that suicide would end you up in hell. To take ones own life will have consequences as death I believe is determined by the Father and Him only. Yet suicide is very evident in our communitys today. A lot of young people struggle nowdays and they are very stressed, they feel guilt etc and we here about them attempting suicide. My sister tryed it, when I myself had a drug addiction was'nt I committing a slow suicide. I would say yes. Young people today cut themselves as a form of relief, but arent they sort of practicing for the fatal cut. Why do we feel so bad that we use alchohol, drugs, and other things performing a slow suicide attempt. People that get to the end of there rope actually take the 3 extra pills ,they use a sharp razor blade on the wrists, use the gun etc. This is so sad. And what is really going on inside those who feel that way. I would say there are many things but the one thing that would stand out is an empty void inside there hearts and souls. Something that we so despartely try to fill with many things but we can never fill it. An emptiness that is like a poison in our hearts eating us away literally. It destroys the spirit because there is no hope. Well there is hope and thats Jesus Christ. His love that He freely gives us fills that emptiness, fills that void and makes us feel whole. Granted not everyone will accept Jesus as there personal savior but the answer is in Him. Jesus can free us from anything, sexual perversion , alchohol, drugs, health issues, stress etc. Anything can drag us down and if not dealt with, leads to other things. Life will still throw curve balls at us but with the Lord in control of our lives and His love that He has for us, we will suceed.Sometimes we need counseling from a pastor or a professional and thats ok, but first and foremost God needs to have charge of our lives. We have to trust and let Him help us. I really want to go into this further but I am short on time. Do you know someone that is down and out ? Do you know someone that is suicidal? Do they know Jesus? Important things we must keep in mind. We need to pay attention to those that are down and desolate and depressed. We must show them love and compassion and patience. Suicide can all be prevented and it can be as simple as sharing the gospel with someone, to let them know that there is true hope in Jesus. My last question is this . Is suicide on the increase or is it just more publicized nowdays ?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  407
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Suicide Statistics

The World Health Organization estimates a global mortality rate of 16 per 100,000 from suicide. One death every 40 seconds. Over a million a year.

In America, Suicide took the lives of 30,622 people in 2001. In 2002, 132,353 individuals were hospitalized following suicide attempts; 116,639 were treated in emergency departments and released.

The WHO further reports that:

In the last 45 years suicide rates have increased by 60% worldwide. Suicide is now among the three leading causes of death among those aged 15-44 (both sexes). Suicide attempts are up to 20 times more frequent than completed suicides.

Although suicide rates have traditionally been highest among elderly males, rates among young people have been increasing to such an extent that they are now the group at highest risk in a third of all countries. The suicide rate for people 10 to 14 years old doubled between 1980 and 1996, as did the rate for black men 15 to 19 years old. For every teen who commits suicide, 100 others attempt it, experts estimate. Youngsters, today, commit suicide three times more often than they did in 1950s.

Mental disorders (particularly depression and substance abuse) are associated with more than 90% of all cases of suicide. However, suicide results from many complex sociocultural factors and is more likely to occur during periods of socioeconomic, family and individual crisis (e.g. loss of a loved one, employment, honour).

In the US, the Centers for Disease Control reports that:

More people die from suicide than from homicide. In 1997, there were 1.5 times as many suicides as homicides.

Overall, suicide is the eighth leading cause of death for all Americans, and is the third leading cause of death for young people aged 15-24.

Males are four times more likely to die from suicide than are females. However, females are more likely to attempt suicide than are males.

Suicide rates are indeed going up.

warm regards

-bud

Guest Thomas I believe
Suicide Statistics

The World Health Organization estimates a global mortality rate of 16 per 100,000 from suicide. One death every 40 seconds. Over a million a year.

In America, Suicide took the lives of 30,622 people in 2001. In 2002, 132,353 individuals were hospitalized following suicide attempts; 116,639 were treated in emergency departments and released.

The WHO further reports that:

In the last 45 years suicide rates have increased by 60% worldwide. Suicide is now among the three leading causes of death among those aged 15-44 (both sexes). Suicide attempts are up to 20 times more frequent than completed suicides.

Although suicide rates have traditionally been highest among elderly males, rates among young people have been increasing to such an extent that they are now the group at highest risk in a third of all countries. The suicide rate for people 10 to 14 years old doubled between 1980 and 1996, as did the rate for black men 15 to 19 years old. For every teen who commits suicide, 100 others attempt it, experts estimate. Youngsters, today, commit suicide three times more often than they did in 1950s.

Mental disorders (particularly depression and substance abuse) are associated with more than 90% of all cases of suicide. However, suicide results from many complex sociocultural factors and is more likely to occur during periods of socioeconomic, family and individual crisis (e.g. loss of a loved one, employment, honour).

In the US, the Centers for Disease Control reports that:

More people die from suicide than from homicide. In 1997, there were 1.5 times as many suicides as homicides.

Overall, suicide is the eighth leading cause of death for all Americans, and is the third leading cause of death for young people aged 15-24.

Males are four times more likely to die from suicide than are females. However, females are more likely to attempt suicide than are males.

Suicide rates are indeed going up.

warm regards

-bud

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bud, Wow scary statistics that suicide is climbing. Kind of a morbid subject to discuss but it is the reality of this world. It really proves that so many people need Jesus in charge of there lives. We must spread the Good news that there is hope. That God cares. That He loves each and everyone of us. There are so many physical deaths that could be prevented. So many that need salvation! We must not rest. We must share the Gospel...

Guest Mel Gibson

The suicide count as been up since the last 45 years.

There is no more big wars.

The reason suicide is going up is because there is no war.

That is my humble opinion.

• Group:  Seeker *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  121
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  01/28/1986

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope you weren't being serious :-|

Guest Thomas I believe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why would not having a big war cause more suicides to occur ? I am curious. There is a war going on right now. What constitutes a big war ?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  700
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

I can understand some wanting to die.... I am in constant pain and sometime wish for death.

As a christian I know that to kill my self is not an option, but I do understand the desire to die, so we need to take into concideration the motivation., and pain, physical and emotional are great motivators for death to make it stop............

Yes I depend on the Lord but for those who are not christian they have no hope no one to help them overcome no one to love them as they are (so they think)no one to help them in their dispair

A thought for all, everyone needs some one to listen to them to stand by them to be there in times of pain and sorrow. Do you know someone who is depressed angry hurting hungry for someone to just care???

In Christ

IreneM

Guest Everglaze

Well,

it depends on the person. You can never be absolutely sure what the key motive behind someone is when they commit suicide. Some people feel like there's too much pain to handle, such a huge burden that they cannot see themselves accepting Jesus. When a person is down in the slump, the last thing they want is more responsibility that they're not in the condition for. We may just be saying, "Jesus can help" and stuff along those lines but nonbelievers who are suicidal don't understand that. In fact, they don't want that.

Yes, it is our duty, our job to preach the word to as many people as possible so that we plant seeds. However, people who are suicidal need a hug first or feel like they're useful in this world. I was under depression time and time again but each time, I was able to eventually overcome because of God. That doesn't mean that I immediately humbled myself or prayed. I tried to handle things on my own and that's where the problem lies with the nonbelievers. The only way they know how to handle their problems is by their own hands which leads to their only "solution" which is killing themselves.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

While it does depend on the person, there are some very common reasons for suicide.

Financial matters, a sense of loss of a loved one, divorce, etc...

These things are also on the rise. Our world is not a pretty place at times and without the hope of Salvation through Christ, it is even more dark and depressing.

There are many things we can do to help one that has the bleak feelings that could lead to suicide. A caring arm when needed, a genuine sense of love for the person, a minute to help them discuss the matters, and letting them know that you are there for them can help.

t.

Guest Thomas I believe
While it does depend on the person, there are some very common reasons for suicide.

Financial matters, a sense of loss of a loved one, divorce, etc...

These things are also on the rise. Our world is not a pretty place at times and without the hope of Salvation through Christ, it is even more dark and depressing.

There are many things we can do to help one that has the bleak feelings that could lead to suicide. A caring arm when needed, a genuine sense of love for the person, a minute to help them discuss the matters, and letting them know that you are there for them can help.

t.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very true Ted, My heart goes out to anyone that has these feelings of suicide. I pray that they can reach out to someone, that someone will care, that somone will hold them close. Jesus in us can save lives. We just have to Love one another as our Lord commands. I know that suicide effects people of all ages but I fear the worst for our teens. There is a great need for compassion towards the young people. We musnt turn our backs on them, no matter how many ear rings they wear no matter how they dress etc. We are all here because God created us period. The answer truly is Jesus. Every single person in this world needs Jesus in there life. Jesus saves lives.........................