• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

This is a spinoff subject that came up in this thread:

1A. Is tithing strictly an OT principle (given to Israel)?

1B. If no, does tithing apply to Believers in Jesus Christ today?

2. Is giving a NT principle that applies to Believers?

3. Is tithing/giving specifically to the local church or to include other Gospel centered organizations?

Feel free to answer one or all of the questions. Biblical backing is always appreciated. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Tithing is not an OT principle. It is a command in the Mosaic law given to the children of Israel. The tithe was brought to Jerusalem and given to the Levites as an inheritance. There were multiple tithes. One was given to the Levites and the poor.  The Levites were to tithe from the tithe they received.

In Judaism today, this law is not practiced because there is no Temple in Jerusalem, and no Levites serving in the Temple to give the tithe

Lev 27:30 ‘Thus all the tithe of the land, of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord’s; it is holy to the Lord. 31 If, therefore, a man wishes to redeem part of his tithe, he shall add to it one-fifth of it. 32 For every tenth part of herd or flock, whatever passes under the rod, the tenth one shall be holy to the Lord. 33 He is not to be concerned whether it is good or bad, nor shall he exchange it; or if he does exchange it, then both it and its substitute shall become holy. It shall not be redeemed.’”

34 These are the commandments which the Lord commanded Moses for the sons of Israel at Mount Sinai.

Numbers 18:24 For the tithe of the sons of Israel, which they offer as an offering to the Lord, I have given to the Levites for an inheritance; therefore I have said concerning them, ‘They shall have no inheritance among the sons of Israel.’”

Numbers 18:26 “Moreover, you shall speak to the Levites and say to them, ‘When you take from the sons of Israel the tithe which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then you shall present an offering from it to the Lord, a tithe of the tithe

Tithing is not an OT principle. It is a command in the Mosaic law given to the children of Israel. The tithe was brought to Jerusalem and given to the Levites as an inheritance. There were multiple tithes. One was given to the Levites and the poor.  The Levites were to tithe from the tithe they received.

In Judaism today, this law is not practiced because there is no Temple in Jerusalem, and no Levites serving in the Temple to give the tithe

Lev 27:30 ‘Thus all the tithe of the land, of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord’s; it is holy to the Lord. 31 If, therefore, a man wishes to redeem part of his tithe, he shall add to it one-fifth of it. 32 For every tenth part of herd or flock, whatever passes under the rod, the tenth one shall be holy to the Lord. 33 He is not to be concerned whether it is good or bad, nor shall he exchange it; or if he does exchange it, then both it and its substitute shall become holy. It shall not be redeemed.’”

34 These are the commandments which the Lord commanded Moses for the sons of Israel at Mount Sinai.

Numbers 18:24 For the tithe of the sons of Israel, which they offer as an offering to the Lord, I have given to the Levites for an inheritance; therefore I have said concerning them, ‘They shall have no inheritance among the sons of Israel.’”

Numbers 18:26 “Moreover, you shall speak to the Levites and say to them, ‘When you take from the sons of Israel the tithe which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then you shall present an offering from it to the Lord, a tithe of the tithe

I would agree with what you've said sister and the Scripture presented.

What about the other 2 questions... Thoughts?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/23/1957

3. Is tithing/giving specifically to the local church or to include other Gospel centered organizations?

Feel free to answer one or all of the questions. Biblical backing is always appreciated. :thumbsup:

I always try to look at how Jesus did things when he walked the earth... the one Christians are supposed to follow. He gave directly to the needy, and it also seems the apostles did much the same. Though many may refute or not like what I say..it is the manner that Jesus gave. I can only recall one time that Jesus instructed anyone to pay money to the temple...Matthew 17:27 He also told us how to give Matthew 6:1-4. He also gave the example of the Samaritan.. who gave while the self-righteous walked past the neighbor in need. It should also be noted that tithing is not just money but, first fruits(food) that the Levites where to give to the needy Deuteronomy 26:12  On average only 1-2% of what is given in churches goes to local or international needy, these are the facts presented in ECCU. Most of the money(98%+) goes right back to serve the giving congregation.... personnel, building & maint., admin., choir & groups, utilities ect.

By Jesus actions and words, I think we can see how he might feel about the abuse of tithing and giving not just in his day but, also applicable in our days... In time of Passover, Jesus did not Passover the money changers or rebuking the system that had reduced God to nothing more than merchandise to be sold for Greed not Need of the Poor ! John 2:13-17

Is there anything wrong with giving(tithing) to charities(where 80-90% get to the needy), giving to the needy directly, or taking food to food banks........ why would I even consider helping the poor thru a church organization where 1 or 2 dollars of $100 given might help? Ask for a pie chart of church expenses... if you get one from your church you will see that you are eating(consuming) most of the pie... Is this the true spirit of giving or tithing?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

I would agree with what you've said sister and the Scripture presented.

What about the other 2 questions... Thoughts?

I believe giving is a NT principle. If a Christian wants to give or feels that they should give 10%, there is nothing wrong with that, or more or less. A Christian should be a cheerful giver, so if a person can not give an amount cheerfully, they should give the amount they can give cheerfully. Giving is a matter of the heart.

I think a Christian can give to anyplace they see a need and/or are called to give. That includes a church, a gospel oriented organization (missions), an organization which helps the poor, or the needy whatever the need. The only organizations which I believe a Christian should probably not give is a group which opposes the sharing of the gospel, or leads people to reject Jesus, or whose main purpose falls under sin or promoting sin.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I give ten percent to my church. At times I have given my ten percent to others, individuals or groups.  Maybe I give 10 percent because i was raised that way, but no matter what anyone can prove in scripture, i will never give less than 10 percent.  I want to be a giver, I want to have less interest in money and my welfare, not more.  Giving my money away is like an act of faith for me. I give a pretty good chunk of change, and I could use that money to make my retirement a lot easier when that day comes.  

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

The tithe was actually from the Garden of Eden, otherwise, Abel and Cain would not have been doing it (where else would they learn it?). Abraham also gave the tithe, how did he know to do this before it was part of the Law?

It all ties into the Blessing of the Lord. If you look at Hebrews 4:2 where it says the Gospel was preached unto the Israelites (and the previous chapter was all about the promises of God that they had been legally given but failed to possess because of their evil hearts of unbelief (shocking that God uses that word to describe unbelief) and so they could not walk in the promises). It also says in Galatians 3:8 that the Gospel was preached unto Abraham also, saying that in him (his Seed; Jesus, Who made the new covenant and united us with Him in it) would all nations be blessed.

This ties into Galatians 3:13-14 where it is written that any who believe have been redeemed from the curse of the Law and are now under the Blessing of Abraham (which is the Blessing of the Lord you see in Genesis 1:28, Genesis 13:2, Genesis 24:35 and In Genesis where Isaac had sowed into the land in famine when no one else was getting anything and he reaped a 100fold harvest, and it says the Lord blessed him, and elsewhere going forward).

So now, being under the Blessing, you see Malachi 3:10-12 where it says that IF you give the tithe and bring it into His storehouse (His church), and put meat on His table THEN He shall put meat on YOUR table (all your needs supplied/your daily bread (the operating costs of what you declare for your household), and EMPTY OUT THE BLESSING on you, and keep the windows (or vaults) of Heaven open to you constantly, as well, He promises to rebuke the Devourer for your sake (the Devil) so that He can't corrupt or destroy the fruits of your ground (your seed sowing and the harvests they produce is protected) and your vine doesn't cast her fruit before the time in the field (things come to fruition for you) and all nations shall call YOU blessed, for you shall be a delightsome land. Hallelujah what a good God we serve Who has made the way for us!

My wife and I have always tithed (12 years) and have always increased every year, and never have had to borrow any money nor had a bill be late or unpaid, but rather, because of our tithing we have seen these promises made manifest. Glory to God! Tithing is how God causes recession and depression to bypass you. The tithe is like an umbilical cord financially to God. And a tithe is not a tithe until it's 10 percent. Any other kind of giving starts after the tithe. The tithe is the first 10th of your income. It cannot be given as alms (this is one of the biggest disruptors - being moved by compassion and giving your tithe as alms; alms starts after 10%).

Edited by GoldenEagle
<< Edited out video reference please submit all video references to the appropriate forum for review and approval by the Ministry Team. >>>
  • Thumbs Up 1

So now, being under the Blessing, you see Malachi 3:10-12 where it says that IF you give the tithe and bring it into His storehouse (His church), and put meat on His table THEN He shall put meat on YOUR table (all your needs supplied/your daily bread (the operating costs of what you declare for your household), and EMPTY OUT THE BLESSING on you, and keep the windows (or vaults) of Heaven open to you constantly, as well, He promises to rebuke the Devourer for your sake (the Devil) so that He can't corrupt or destroy the fruits of your ground (your seed sowing and the harvests they produce is protected) and your vine doesn't cast her fruit before the time in the field (things come to fruition for you) and all nations shall call YOU blessed, for you shall be a delightsome land. Hallelujah what a good God we serve Who has made the way for us!

Look at the verses prior to verse Malachi 3:10-12, This passage (perhaps re-read Malachi 3 for context) was written to Israel regarding Jews stealing from God's temple. The temple is no longer a factor as it was destroyed circa 70 AD.

Malachi 3:6-9

“For I the Lord do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, are not consumed. From the days of your fathers you have turned aside from my statutes and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you, says the Lord of hosts. But you say, ‘How shall we return?’ Will man rob God? Yet you are robbing me. But you say, ‘How have we robbed you?’ In your tithes and contributions. You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing me, the whole nation of you.

Why was this written? Nehemiah 13:10-23 shows that the Levites of God's temple were forced to go to work in the fields as the people weren't supplying their needs.

Nehemiah 13:10-11

10 I also found out that the portions of the Levites had not been given to them, so that the Levites and the singers, who did the work, had fled each to his field. 11 So I confronted the officials and said, “Why is the house of God forsaken?” And I gathered them together and set them in their stations.

(continued in next post...)

My wife and I have always tithed (12 years) and have always increased every year, and never have had to borrow any money nor had a bill be late or unpaid, but rather, because of our tithing we have seen these promises made manifest. Glory to God! Tithing is how God causes recession and depression to bypass you. The tithe is like an umbilical cord financially to God. And a tithe is not a tithe until it's 10 percent. Any other kind of giving starts after the tithe. The tithe is the first 10th of your income. It cannot be given as alms (this is one of the biggest disruptors - being moved by compassion and giving your tithe as alms; alms starts after 10%).

Also, tithing is not some "magical" guarantee that God will bless us. Tithing further is not a guarantee that people won't lose their jobs or be a part of the recession/depression we are facing economically. Further here's what the Bible says about suffering, trials, and tribulations...

God never promised an easy life. We're told in the world we will have hardships (tribulation). But God did promise victory. We are to take up our cross and follow Christ. We are called to rejoice in our sufferings for Christ. The sufferings we endure in this present life are a shadow of what we will enjoy in God's presence in the next life. Suffering isn't a strange thing to a Christian. Perhaps in the West we have gotten so complacent that we are suprised when hard times come.

Luke 14:27

Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.

John 16:33

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

Romans 5:3-5

More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

Romans 8:18

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

Phillipians 1:29

For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake

James 1:2-4

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

1 Peter 5:10

And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.

1 Peter 4:12-13

Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed.

Your thoughts?

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

1A - No, for tithing to God is clearly established by precedent before the law is given on Sinai - eg Gen 14:20 and Gen 28:22

2 - Yes for the principle of proportionate giving is carried forward, 1 Cor 16:2 - however it is not so easy as to make a straight comparison between what the Jews gave under law and what we should we give under grace, for grace is greater then law and therefore our response to it must be greater.

3 - It is to be given to God, through suitable ministries, to neglect the local church in favour of other works is wrong, however to just support the local church may also be considered narrow, Paul made collections for other works in the churches he visited.