• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  358
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

1 Cor 14:34

34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

KJV

Spock: note here that Old testament is old testament, But Paul said as Also saith the law. He is in agreement with the law. now we are no longer under the law, But it would be still be good not to kill. not to bear false witness and so on. To Him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin, so as the law says not to kill we accept that as something good to do "not to kill" as well as Paul is saying they agree with the law that it is good women be under obedience, as the church is under obedience to Christ.

You can get in serious trouble here if you think everything written as law in the Old Testament should apply today. For instance, should adulterers be stoned to death?

I can go on and on- just read the books of Deuteronomy and Leviticus for a thousand other examples of God said this yesterday that makes no sense to apply it today.

Hello Spock beam me up Scotty :D

Can you tell me how you decide which things the Bible presents are valid for today ?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

You can get in serious trouble here if you think everything written as law in the Old Testament should apply today. For instance, should adulterers be stoned to death?

I can go on and on- just read the books of Deuteronomy and Leviticus for a thousand other examples of God said this yesterday that makes no sense to apply it today.

Can you tell me how you decide which things the Bible presents are valid for today ?

Wow, great question so early in the morning, plus I have to run off to work. Just want you to know I will answer this to the best of my ability later tonight PM when I return from work and date dinner with the Mrs.

Spock out

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  358
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

with all logic we can be sure of that from the Vulcan. :clap:   

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

This question has so many layers, but let me start off and add a few now:

1. Old Testament- much there (ceremonial law) that was written has either been fulfilled or pretty much applicable to the Jews of those days. The moral law still remains, like the Ten Commandments. Oh, By the way, I still believe in following the fourth commandment as it was written, and not change it according to some council back in 363. Like I mentioned elsewhere, it would be illogical to follow the civil laws of that time, like stoning an adulterer. You know all those harsh sentences.

So, by seeing here that God did not intent for us to follow his entire written word as written in the Pentateuch, this cautions me to be careful about thinking everything in the New Testament should be followed exactly as written. Cultural aspects should and must be considered.

2. New Testament- I pretty much try to follow everything Jesus uttered. For example, he said it is sin to even lust in your heart. I do all that I can to keep my thoughts pure as well as the other parts of my body pure. In other words, I don't consider adultery just physical. If I commit lust in my heart, like president Carter, I ask for forgiveness.

3. Paul's letters- this is where it gets interesting for me. Some things paul says Are confusing to me, so I really try to filter these words through my common sense using the totality of the scriptures. Like when applying OT words, I consider cultural aspects, so do I consider them here cultural differences as part of my filtering system. For example, this thread- I know women back then weren't even allowed to sit with the men at worship service let alone study the scriptures in school. Obviously, things have changed. Do I consider these changes? Absolutely. It would be illogical to not.

Of course, much of what paul says is "simple" to me and doesn't bring about anxiousness for me to discern so these are much easier to take at face value (as written).

Anyhow, here are my first thoughts on this question. I enjoy reading your feedback that you may have on anything I have written.

Phew,

Spock out

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

1. Old Testament- much there (ceremonial law) that was written has either been fulfilled or pretty much applicable to the Jews of those days. The moral law still remains, like the Ten Commandments. Oh, By the way, I still believe in following the fourth commandment as it was written, and not change it according to some council back in 363. Like I mentioned elsewhere, it would be illogical to follow the civil laws of that time, like stoning an adulterer. You know all those harsh sentences.

So, by seeing here that God did not intent for us to follow his entire written word as written in the Pentateuch, this cautions me to be careful about thinking everything in the New Testament should be followed exactly as written.

2. New Testament- I pretty much try to follow everything Jesus uttered. For example, he said it is sin to even lust in your heart. I do all that I can to keep my thoughts pure as well as the other parts of my body pure. In other words, I don't consider adultery just physical. If I commit lust in my heart, like president Carter, I ask for forgiveness.

3. Paul's letters- this is where it gets interesting for me. Some things paul says Are confusing to me, so I really try to filter these words through my common sense using the totality of the scriptures. I do consider cultural differences back then vs today as part of my filtering system. For example, this thread- I know women back then weren't even allowed to sit with the men at worship service let alone study the scriptures in school. Obviously, things have changed. Do I consider these changes? Absolutely.

Of course, much of what paul says is "simple" to me and doesn't bring about anxiousness for me to discern so these are much easier to take at face value (as written).

Anyhow, here are my first thoughts on this question. I enjoy reading your feedback that you may have on anything I have written.

Phew,

Spock out

I agree Spock, but I look at it from this angle:

I fully believe that Jesus has fulfilled all the law and that now under His new covenant with us, there is neither Jew nor Greek, man nor woman, slave nor free, (those words were spoken by Paul, am I right?) but we are one nation of kings and priests under Him and in Him.  In fact, now we are called to an even deeper law, governing thoughts (even thinking a lustful thought) as well as actions.   How it all works out, I leave to the Lord's Lordship.  I do not believe that He is sexist.  I believe that He loves me and made me for a beautiful purpose.  Did you know that Miriam had a praise music dance ministry?  She led all the children of Israel in song and dance in response to how God had destroyed the Egyptians on their behalf.  Talk about a theatre troupe for the Lord!  Hallelujah!  And if the men were to join in, they would have needed to follow her words and choreography... :39:  UH-OH!!!

Now, did Miriam get any praise and glory - excellent dancing, wonderful voice, what a sensation!  And should I receive any glory now that I belong to the Lord Jesus Christ, and He loves me, and made me for a beautiful purpose?  Should a man get more glory over a woman?  A woman more than a man?  Who does the glory really belong to?  Does it really matter which vessel He chooses to use when He can raise up even stones to praise Him?  When He has command over mountains, seas, all creatures, all people, whether they know it or not?

I really do believe, especially looking through every post, that Paul's words on the matter are completely contextual and pertaining to the particular church he was writing to, but serve as a good reminder of submission, grace, and humility that we all need to cultivate within us, regardless of gender.  Solomon in Ecclesiastes said:

Ecclesiastes 5:1-2

1 Walk prudently when you go to the house of God; and draw near to hear rather than to give the sacrifice of fools, for they do not know that they do evil.

Do not be rash with your mouth,

And let not your heart utter anything hastily before God.

For God is in heaven, and you on earth;

Therefore let your words be few.

Clearly words for all of us to consider.

Looking forward to the thoughts you still have on the matter.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  06/26/1981

This scripture is for church and I believe the home.  I was married for 25 years .  Steve was the head of our home.  That does not mean I was a doormat.  We always talked things over but the final decision was always his.  In the church women are  not to be pastors.  They are not to be over men.  I believe women are not even to be what would be called deaconess.  The Bible is clear.  Take the scripture and understand it means what is says. 

That is sexist. Women have rights. I am not property except to God. I will not obey a man. Slavery is wrong.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,065
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

This scripture is for church and I believe the home.  I was married for 25 years .  Steve was the head of our home.  That does not mean I was a doormat.  We always talked things over but the final decision was always his.  In the church women are  not to be pastors.  They are not to be over men.  I believe women are not even to be what would be called deaconess.  The Bible is clear.  Take the scripture and understand it means what is says.

That is sexist. Women have rights. I am not property except to God. I will not obey a man. Slavery is wrong.

I suggest you study these passages

1 Cor 6:19-20

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost

which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your

body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

KJV

Gal 5:13

13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not

liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

KJV

By the letter of law we are not slaves but by The Love of God we are slaves to

one another as The Church, the Bride and to the Husband our Lord!

Love, Steven

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  06/26/1981

I suggest you study these passages

1 Cor 6:19-20

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost

which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your

body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

KJV

Gal 5:13

13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not

liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

KJV

By the letter of law we are not slaves but by The Love of God we are slaves to

one another as The Church the Bride and the Husband our Lord!

Love, Steven

No. i will not be a slave to a man. I spent 13 years as a subservient female slave and I am NOT going back. Women are not property.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,065
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I understand the abuse that can come from a man who does not repent of his own self! True love looks for ways

to serve the other as it helps relieve the overwhelming care, concern, desire for the others well being and happiness...

Then there are those who profess love but it is always seems directed to themselves :45: proofs in the pudding so to

speak! But with all marriages there are two who vow as one and bind themselves in that vow, "in sickness and in health,

for better or for worse, till death do I part," unto God himself they vow this...  Love, Steven