• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/21/1959

I have a really good friend who is a Christian or at least professes to be one, but who am I to judge whether he is or not. Here is where I need some advise.

My wife and I were very good friends with a younger couple (my friend and his wife) in our Church. We use to do a lot together and hang out, etc,. The husband is a truck driver and while he was OTR he met someone and they began to have an affair (adultery). One day his wife went to the Dr. (for a female concern, not sure what), but that is when she discovered that she had a STD. She knew she was faithful, so there was only one other conclusion. Long story short, after going to counseling, she still ended up divorcing him. Fast forward to 2 years later. He has met someone and they are getting married in June 2014 and they have sent an invitation to my wife and I. Would it be ethical/right to go to this wedding? We are still good friends w/ his wife and she still goes to our Church. Thanx in advance for any advise you can give (especially Biblical advise).

Praying~!

My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not. Proverbs 1:10 (KJV)

Do not be deceived: "Bad company ruins good morals." 1 Corinthians 15:33 (ESV)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,073
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

For me it would depend on your friend who still goes to church with you....    and if you intend to have any relationship with the other couple getting married.

Biblically,  I don't really know if your actions one way or the other would right or wrong.     But, they will have consequences.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

If the husband had an affair while he was married that is infidelity and the wife has a biblical divorce.His remarriage is a sin because of his infidelity. How do you feel about this man remarrying?It is a choice that you and your wife need to make to attend the wedding.Pray about it.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  10/06/1990

Tough.  And that situaton breaks my heart.  I dont think I would be able to bring myself to attend a sinful wedding.  I couldnt watch a man and woman being united under God when God clearly says its a sin for them to do so.  And you have to be careful not to take hurt feelings into account because that would be choosing to satisfy man rather than the creator.  But its a toughie. 

Pray about it my friend.  God Bless.

If your conscience tells you not to go, you shouldn't go.  Biblically, his first wife was fully in her rights to get a divorce, since he cheated on her.  That dissolved the marriage, so technically, I believe he can get married again.  The first marriage was ended because of fornication.  The Bible doesn't actually say the adulterer can't re-marry.  He already committed adultery, which led to the divorce.  In our minds, that may not seem fair, and we may think he should have to remain single for life, but the first marriage was dissolved by his wife.  He can't be in a continuous state of adultery when he is no longer married in the sight of God. 

The bigger question to me is did this man repent?  Is he sorry for what he did?  Does he make light of it, and just expect everyone to look at what he did as no big deal?  If the man is not doing right and not sorry for his sins, perhaps you shouldn't be hanging out with him?  There really is no absolute right or wrong answer to your question about whether or not you should attend the wedding, with one exception.  Does your conscience convict you to the point where you believe God is telling you not to go?  If you do feel that way, you know in your heart what you have to do. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,703
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

i am in agreeance with butero here-the big thing is, was he repentent. If so, we need to forgive past mistakes like Christ forgave us. If he admitted he was wrong before-and his current wife knows about his past, then I would go, but if hes not and hes trying to hide his past from his new woman, chances are he will cheat again, and I probably wouldn't go.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

i am in agreeance with butero here-the big thing is, was he repentent. If so, we need to forgive past mistakes like Christ forgave us. If he admitted he was wrong before-and his current wife knows about his past, then I would go, but if hes not and hes trying to hide his past from his new woman, chances are he will cheat again, and I probably wouldn't go.

Alot of cheaters will cheat again.Hence the saying "A leopard doesn't change its spots".

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  236
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/29/1971

Why would you want to go really?  You said you aren't really close with him anymore but are still friends with his ex wife.  Seems like it would cause unecessary conflicts that could be avoided if you stayed home.

I'd politely decline and just forget about it.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Love the sinner hate the sin? If he is your friend and you want to go, then go. If not stay home.