Sign in to follow this  
AFlameOfFire

Kefir grains and/or Kombucha?

Hey all, Grace and peace to you.

I didnt know where to post this, whether this was the proper forum or the hobby forum woud have been better, because it would sorta be a little of both I would think.

I was curious if anyone here tried playing with water kefir grains or Kombucha?

I never tried either but I am looking for a few hobbies to busy myself with and two of them really interest me at present.

So I ordered a couple of books and small pieces of equipment needed to take these up and was curious if anyone here has experimented with either?

Oh yeah, and brewing root beer too, I almost forgot. I really like that Virgils root beer and theres a pretty decent root beer brewing video over at you tube I have a good feeling about and I wanted to give that a go, I just have to order all the ingredients and extra bottles.

Anyone else have any luck doing any of these? I am more interested in the water kefir grains and the root beer brewing though.

I'm making milk kefir :)

What would you like to know about it?

Hi angels, nothing bout milk kefir sis, I would do that if I had raw milk convenient to me, but i dont. 

I am more interested in the carbonation that come of the waters grains, and which organic juices are a really good combination for bottling them. But also concerning the bottles, which are the best to use and the chancing of them busting at all.

Like what luck with flavors has folks had with them.

I looked up organic black cherry (not because I like it) but my husband loves black cherry (everythng) and thought I would give that a try.

Amazon had an organic concentrate of it also, and was curious whether I could use that (and in what quantities).

I believe I am to use something like 4 parts kefir waters to one part juice, not sure, but a concentrate sorta throws me off there.

Just stuff like, what folks have tried. Im even curious if natural brewed (uncarbonated) root beer can be taken up by these grains and made carbonated that way?

Tons of questions before I try it but looking forward to experimenting with them too.

Can you do chocolate milk kefir? lol

Kool!

I just searched  "root beer and kefir" and they come up together, so others have wondered much the same.

And yanno, I hadn't thought to look for a kefir forum of some kind and there's many of them on the internet

I should have taken my questions on these things there rather then here,  that really wasn't so brilliant of me.

lol have fun:)

I like my milk kefir and often make it from goats milk.

This recipe looks very interesting too:

http://wellnessmama.com/8945/natural-ginger-ale/

I don't think you can make chocolate milk...

I'm very interested   to hear how your recipes turn out...!

I have my kefir on the go for about 1 year .

Thanks angels4u, ironically I have goats but I don't have goat milk LOL

(Im out of luck) no momma's and I love feta cheese too.

I couldn't get down to milk them anyways if I had them, although if I can find someone to build me a standing up (milking station) I am so there.

My husband thinks those Nubian babies are so adorable and we might be able to go there, not sure. We have pygmies now.

Awh com on sis, you mean you cant do that milk kefir and then just squirt a bunch of hersheys syrup in the batch?

LOLOL

But yeah, that site is perfect, that's what I am looking for recipe, Im not much of a ginger ale person, but even still I want various recipe to try. And I just think its so cool that you can brew carbonation, how awesome is that? I like sparkling water too.

I want to try root beer and black cherry, white grape, strawberry and various others.

It just didn't dawn on me they had forums on this. I definitely got to sift through a bunch of instructions. Some folks have the gift of simplicity and can tell you how to get the desired effects without getting all complicated on you.

Okay, Im too excited, Im gonna do this

I think you should try strawberry kefir milk and tell me how that is going for you.

Like stick a bunch of strawberries in there.

I need a cow LOL There is so much stuff you can make with raw milk Im jealous of folks who can get raw milk.

Yeah, I'll repent of that (after I click submit)

lol I did try to ferment other stuff before with the milk kefir and believe it can be done.

I did try a new recipe this weekend which turned out nice:

2 thinly slice lemons,add piece thinly sliced ginger ,put the 2 together in mason jar and fill with honey.

You can make tea with this ,it taste delicious and will stay good for 2 months in the fridge.

Your kidding me? You are putting lemons into milk kefir??

Don't that make a sort of buttermilk substitute? LOL

(with a little ginger flavor?)

Hey Im an ice tea buff, if I can keep a living ice tea thang going here that would be awesome. That's why I was looking up that Kombucha, even though that looks gross. Both kinds have to be fed with sugar it seems

Then I was looking up how easy it would be to grow sugar cane (for feeding it) and that's pretty easy from what I read, you can even grow it in the south.

Okay, I am getting so psyched to do this, I need some neat hobbies to undertake. And Im trying to do more stuff and not spend as much time with the gift of gab online and so far so good with finding things, this is fun. I thought it would be harder to do but theres lots of weird things just waiting to be undertaken.

My husband used to like that artificial strawberry milk, I thought, if angels4u has made strawberry kefir milk I just might take that up too, just for trying to slip it past him once or twice.

He'll never know.

I mean, if I told him live things made what he was drinking he would never drink it so I must do this on the sly LOL

Okay, Im going to do milk kefir too, and just for that experiment, to see if I can make strawberry milk and to see if I can hide this stuff well enough to get him to drink it.

Since its good for him.

But its just like getting him to eat his vegetables, if he knows (or can see them) he will refuse.

How would I do that if I tried it angels?

Get the milk grains, then put them into the milk, but for how long?

Do the milk grains just eat the milk sugar or do you need to feed them besides just adding them to the milk?

Im not sure on the milk ones.

But then when (if ever) would I sneak strawberries into the mix?

(while crossing my fingers that this will work?)

Im so going to screw these poor grains up aren't I? LOL

lol I did try to ferment other stuff before with the milk kefir and believe it can be done.

I did try a new recipe this weekend which turned out nice:

2 thinly slice lemons,add piece thinly sliced ginger ,put the 2 together in mason jar and fill with honey.

You can make tea with this ,it taste delicious and will stay good for 2 months in the fridge.

no kefir in this recipe.

Your kidding me? You are putting lemons into milk kefir??

Don't that make a sort of buttermilk substitute? LOL

(with a little ginger flavor?)

Hey Im an ice tea buff, if I can keep a living ice tea thang going here that would be awesome. That's why I was looking up that Kombucha, even though that looks gross. Both kinds have to be fed with sugar it seems

Then I was looking up how easy it would be to grow sugar cane (for feeding it) and that's pretty easy from what I read, you can even grow it in the south.

Okay, I am getting so psyched to do this, I need some neat hobbies to undertake. And Im trying to do more stuff and not spend as much time with the gift of gab online and so far so good with finding things, this is fun. I thought it would be harder to do but theres lots of weird things just waiting to be undertaken.

My husband used to like that artificial strawberry milk, I thought, if angels4u has made strawberry kefir milk I just might take that up too, just for trying to slip it past him once or twice.

He'll never know.

I mean, if I told him live things made what he was drinking he would never drink it so I must do this on the sly LOL

Okay, Im going to do milk kefir too, and just for that experiment, to see if I can make strawberry milk and to see if I can hide this stuff well enough to get him to drink it.

Since its good for him.

But its just like getting him to eat his vegetables, if he knows (or can see them) he will refuse.

How would I do that if I tried it angels?

Get the milk grains, then put them into the milk, but for how long?

Do the milk grains just eat the milk sugar or do you need to feed them besides just adding them to the milk?

Im not sure on the milk ones.

But then when (if ever) would I sneak strawberries into the mix?

(while crossing my fingers that this will work?)

Im so going to screw these poor grains up aren't I? LOL

The milk grains do eat the sugar.
I make about 1 1/2 cup at the time,it takes about 36 hours depends how warm it is in your house.
Can you get kefir starter where you live?

Hope this helps?  :)

Sign in to follow this