Guest shiloh357

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

I think Phil was set up, the interviewer, knowing he's a Christian asked a question that would assume or imply the answers he gave, being he's so outspoken. I think the interviewer would've asked the same question in different forms until they got something to put out to the press like that. That was probly the third time they asked that kind of question and only used that part of the interview.

I also think it was a set up...

I think it's just a publicity stunt to attract more viewers. 

Could be that as well I guess. I mean Phil's an intricate part of the show... How long will they suspend Phil for? I mean it's indefinite right now... But they'll bring him back I think. Largely due to the fan base...

For perspective Phil Robertson has been thinking about quitting the show for some time. I mean he's a millionaire, has a constant stream of residual income with Duck Dynasty products/royalties, he'd have more time to go on speaking tours about his faith, and he'd probably rather just hunt/fish the rest of the time anyway… That would make him happy, happy, happy… :thumbsup:

I personally don't agree with how he said things... But Phil is who he is and that's why he has such a big following. He's never claimed to be perfect and he's still the same as he was before all of this.

I believe Phil is a good example of what a Christian is: a self-admittedly flawed human in need of Jesus, pointing others to Jesus, and using his show to promote the Gospel.

Disclaimer: I have watched and own the first season of Duck Dynasty. It was a gift from a friend. I think the show is great.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/07/1967

It's funny how this guy's suspension for "offensive" and "insensitive" remarks is not stopping the network from running a holiday Duck Dynasty marathon.  :)

Edited by Addai

It's funny how this guy's suspension for "offensive" and "insensitive" remarks is not stopping the network from running a holiday Duck Dynasty marathon.  :)

And what do you wanna bet there's a jump in the ratings because of all the recent hoopla.

Guest shiloh357

No, it's not a publicity stunt.  For one thing they would not have used GQ to create such a stunt.  They would have had him say those things on the Duck Dynasty show if they were interested in performing a stunt.   Furthermore, doing something you know is going to make the gay and African American communities angry is a highly inefficient and dangerous strategy that no one in that industry would risk.

No, it's not a publicity stunt.  For one thing they would not have used GQ to create such a stunt.  They would have had him say those things on the Duck Dynasty show if they were interested in performing a stunt.   Furthermore, doing something you know is going to make the gay and African American communities angry is a highly inefficient and dangerous strategy that no one in that industry would risk.

By using GQ magazine A&E doesn't absorb any of the negative backlash. The anger from the gay and african american communities is focused on Phil, not A&E. A&E responds by immediately firing Phil, giving the impression that they are innocent in anything Phil said. Everything falls on the shoulders of Phil.

All of this works to A&E's advantage.

Guest shiloh357

By using GQ magazine A&E doesn't absorb any of the negative backlash. The anger from the gay and african american communities is focused on Phil, not A&E. A&E responds by immediately firing Phil, giving the impression that they are innocent in anything Phil said. Everything falls on the shoulders of Phil.

All of this works to A&E's advantage.

A&E is getting a TON of negative backlash.   The negative backlash they are getting is way bigger than what a few gay groups did.  This is simply a case of them bowing to special interest groups.

The network has the right to fire phil for whatever reason they wish. However I do think this was a bad decision on their part and I encourage everyone who is upset and claiming they will boycott the network to let them know. They have ways of being contacted by email, snail mail, phone calls. Let them know how you feel about what they did. Let them know you will contact each one of the advertisers on their show to let them know how you feel about what they did. Nothing will get the networks attention quicker than upsetting their advertisers. 

My thought about this is, if he was a Muslim, Buddhist, or maybe an atheist who had been fired for sharing his personal beliefs, there would be riots all over the place.

Guest shiloh357

The network has the right to fire phil for whatever reason they wish. However I do think this was a bad decision on their part and I encourage everyone who is upset and claiming they will boycott the network to let them know. They have ways of being contacted by email, snail mail, phone calls. Let them know how you feel about what they did. Let them know you will contact each one of the advertisers on their show to let them know how you feel about what they did. Nothing will get the networks attention quicker than upsetting their advertisers. 

My thought about this is, if he was a Muslim, Buddhist, or maybe an atheist who had been fired for sharing his personal beliefs, there would be riots all over the place.

Absolutely.