Vera Bradley

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I am prayerfully considering going to help a group of children in Kenya. I have never in my life done mission work. I came across a particular ministry that I really want to be the hands and feet for.

My questions:

1. Do you have to be married? (I am a single female.)

2. How should I practically prepare for this?

3. If you have done mission work in the 3rd world, what lessons did you learn from it?

I hope to hear from someone who has worked in missions.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

I am prayerfully considering going to help a group of children in Kenya. I have never in my life done mission work. I came across a particular ministry that I really want to be the hands and feet for.

My questions:

1. Do you have to be married? (I am a single female.)

2. How should I practically prepare for this?

3. If you have done mission work in the 3rd world, what lessons did you learn from it?

I hope to hear from someone who has worked in missions.

1. It depends on the missions sending organization. Many organizations will require at least a college degree. Many organizations send people who are single.

2a. Kenya is very different most likely from where you grew up. Have you considered going there on a short-term mission trip with a local church? It might help get your feet wet and help you see what it is like there.

2b. Beginning to help with a local university's ministry to internationals might be helpful. Is there a local university where you can meet and get to know people from Africa (hopefully from Kenya)?

2c. Consider resources like the local library for good books on the country. Might consider learning some Kiswahili as well. Youtube.com or the local library are a great resource for that. Do you know what region you will be in? Also online resources can be helpful such as: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ke.html

2d. Talk to missionaries who have served in Kenya. Ask them what it's like. Do you know anyone who is already working there?

2e. If you have any major hang-ups or issues those will be intensified on the mission field. The Enemy doesn't like the Gospel being spread and works overtime on those who are willing to make sacrifices to spread the Gospel. I would recommend seeing a good Biblical counselor and talking to maybe your pastor's wife.

2f. (This probably should've been first in retrospect...) Read your Bible as much as you can. Memorize key passages. Pray that God will guide you. Perhaps join a Bible study so you will be challenged to dig into God's Word and have fellowship with others.

(Cont)

3. Lessons learned... Wow there's a lot to say.

First, always remember people need Jesus and not the Western culture. :)

Second, we are incredibly rich in the west. A family in many African countries can live off of the cost for a year what most apartment 1 month's rent costs in most cities in the U.S. (Say USD $1000-1500) for example. So when you purchase something keep in mind that what we see as convenient (snacks, fast food - McDonald's, ice cream, coffee from Starbucks for example) most people in Kenya will see as luxuries.

Third, mission work is often romanticized. The reality is that mission work overseas is tough. There are sacrifices such as common luxuries people take for granted (running water, electricity, a somewhat reliable postal service, water, food, air conditioning, automobiles, public transportation, etc.) that we take for granted in the West. Beside this it will be a time of testing of your faith. But God is faithful through it all. Relying on His strength will be key for being effective as an ambassador for Christ. :thumbsup:

Fourth, nothing works as you plan it overseas. You need to be flexible and patient.

These are my initial thoughts.

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you GoldenEagle. :)

Thank you GoldenEagle. :)

Sure no problem sister :thumbsup:

I worked as an interpreter in S. America for several years - primarily working in partnership with American volunteer groups for evangelism, building churches,  VBS, medical teams, sports clinics, choir groups, etc.

Hope I didn't come across too strong with my posts. God bless you and praying for your future. I'll send you a PM (Private Message) in case you'd like to discuss this further. Check your little envelope with a red "1" next to your name at the top left screen.

God bless you! :)

In Christ,

GE

Second, we are incredibly rich in the west. A family in many African countries can live off of the cost for a year what most apartment 1 month's rent costs in most cities in the U.S. (Say USD $1000-1500) for example. So when you purchase something keep in mind that what we see as convenient (snacks, fast food - McDonald's, ice cream, coffee from Starbucks for example) most people in Kenya will see as luxuries.

:thumbsup:

Luxuries Such As Deodorant~!

:thumbsup:

Luxuries Such As Deodorant~!

Yes!

And toilette paper :)

• Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

It's hot, dusty, thirsty work with vast distances of driving that give you a headache. You will eat food offered in love, like gritty cassava, half cooked chicken that was alive 30 minutes before you ate it (out of respect).

You will often sleep with out showering, drink warm water out of chipped coffee mugs, swat flies off your food, listen to 3 hour sermons in a language you can't understand, and often have your words translated because where you are, English is not spoken. You will be expected to wear a dress that covers your knees, and sometimes sleeves that cover your wrists (no matter how hot it might be).

The people you meet will mostly have a much better grasp of scripture than you do, and will have a child like Faith that is amazing and unbreakable.

One thing I can promise you.

You will come away from Africa having learned much, much more about faith than you knew before you came.