IGNORED

Demon possession and exorcism

Guest P_W

Since we are hopelessly snowed in, TV has become a companion of mine.  Yesterday we watched some fairly controversial, yet interesting programs on demon possession and exorcism.

A comparison was made on one of these about the difference between how the U.S. views spiritual warfare compared to countries that have been more conditioned to understand the spiritual realm.

One preacher made the point of the effectiveness, or lack of it, based on our belief systems and how many in the west tend to ignore the devil, which seems to suit satan just fine.

I am interested to know what others believe and if anyone has thoughts on why America is lagging behind in this ministry?

Do you think average Christians in America are afraid?  Do these Christians not believe in deliverance ministries?

My concerns are that I see our country going downhill quickly and I wonder if it is because we are spiritually void?  Those in satanism and other cults seem very devoted to their religion and work.  Some seem to have more dedication than many Christians do.  

Any thoughts?  I would appreciate more understanding in this area and I read somewhere on these forums that there are those involved in spiritual warfare and deliverance ministry.  I would really like to hear about your experiences.

Yours in Jesus Christ, covered in His Blood and blessed by Him,

PrairWarur

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Since we are hopelessly snowed in, TV has become a companion of mine.  Yesterday we watched some fairly controversial, yet interesting programs on demon possession and exorcism.

A comparison was made on one of these about the difference between how the U.S. views spiritual warfare compared to countries that have been more conditioned to understand the spiritual realm.

One preacher made the point of the effectiveness, or lack of it, based on our belief systems and how many in the west tend to ignore the devil, which seems to suit satan just fine.

I am interested to know what others believe and if anyone has thoughts on why America is lagging behind in this ministry?

Do you think average Christians in America are afraid?  Do these Christians not believe in deliverance ministries?

My concerns are that I see our country going downhill quickly and I wonder if it is because we are spiritually void?  Those in satanism and other cults seem very devoted to their religion and work.  Some seem to have more dedication than many Christians do.  

Any thoughts?  I would appreciate more understanding in this area and I read somewhere on these forums that there are those involved in spiritual warfare and deliverance ministry.  I would really like to hear about your experiences.

PrairWarur

I stay away from that type of programming..It is creepy..

Yes, it is a topic that is unsettling.  Stay away, though?  It did not seem so "creepy" to Jesus.  What do you think you would do if a possessed person approached you?  Could you take authority in the mighty Name of Jesus and by His Blood and give them deliverance?   I believe there are so many Scriptures on this topic because we are to be wise and understand our place and duties when, or if, we are ever confronted by this, or approached by someone who is in bondage and needs deliverance.  IMHO

Peace, Prair

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Well that's interesting, because there are entire shelves devoted to books about what people call the deliverance ministry in Christian book stores...the internet is replete with all kinds of

interpretations as well.

There is already a section on this topic in the forums here so it is not a new topic.

I'm not sure this is a new topic for you?  Are you saying you have no experience or expertise in this area?

Yes, it is a relatively new area for me.  I did post in one of the other threads about a time God began to bring this to my attention and I was hesitant about exploring the issues, getting involved, or whatever terms are properly used here.  But, God had other plans and my education began.  

I was raised in a church that did not teach, nor speak too much about Holy Spirit power, or demonic influences, including possession, oppression, etc.  I have since been given quite an education on this topic, which I have to filter through God's Word, and ask questions to those who have more experience.  I read a lot, I listen, and I make up my own mind to the truth of the teaching and the relevance in my life.

Hope this answers your questions about me.

Peace to you,

Prair

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I believe there are demonic forces all around us.  Evil is present all around us. 

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1

PrairWarur

I am not against it in theory, but like many medical conditions such as ADHD, possession can be overdiagnosed and the treatment, exorcism, can be quite deadly. Just like people used to call other people witches and have them burned for selfish and/or ignorant reasons, people have said that others are possessed for these same reasons. To the best of my limited knowledge, this is the reason why the Catholic church goes to great lengths nowadays to disprove that someone is possessed before an exorcism is called for. That someone simply needs psychiatric treatment is as far as I know the default position when there are claims of possession. This is far better than simply assuming that someone is possessed just because they appear to be or because one wants to believe or other such reasons, particularly given how deadly exorcisms can be. It is like capital punishment in that it can get very out of hand very quickly.

Guest ninhao

PrairWarur

Considering our battles are against the principalities and powers of darkness I suggest it's beneficial for all Christians to be involved in spiritual warfare. As HumbleThinker suggests though it's important not to mistake physical or mental illness with devil activity and this is why complete medical diagnosis comes first.

satan is very good at hiding in plain sight.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

It seems to me that demonic possession was prevalent in the days of Christ, and less so in the days of the Apostles, but apart from that brief period of history it seems larger absent from scripture.

It is also striking that we are given no didactic teaching on how to identify it or deal with it in the word of God.

The devil is dangerous foe, and his servants are powerful, but he is also a defeated and bound enemy at this time.

To me that suggests that demon possession is not a common thing today, if it is even happening at all. Now whilst I am sure there are many well meaning folks involved in such 'ministries' My experiences of deliverance ministries amongst African churches that I am familiar with is that they are often abusive, sometimes physically, but frequently emotionally and spiritually.      

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

PrairWarur

Let me start by saying the 'deliverance ministry' is usually not exorcism. The deliverance ministries in the U.S. that I am aware of usually teach that Christians can not be possessed, and their ministry is to Christians. They believe that Christians can allow a demon to effect or oppress believers, and some objects you own, thoughts you have, former affiliations, can give demons an opening in your life. If you have a problem, it might be due to these openings which have allowed demons access to your life and possessions. So, deliverance ministries seek to eliminate these openings in a persons life to get rid of influence or oppression, but usually not exorcism for possession.

My issue is that deliverance ministries are so focused on what demons and Satan can do, that they talk very little about Jesus. The focus is off.

In scripture, while some is said about demons, and possession, there are also examples of ignoring the bluster of demons, unless they are disrupting what God wants to do. Christians are not demon chasers, but rather those who are there to do the will of God. God has allowed demons to remain in existence for now, until they are bound, and later caste into the lake of fire. Of course the demons are simply created beings, and there so called power is a joke compared to the power of God. If a demon gets in the way of what God wants done, well, it is not a big deal for God to take care of it.

In otherwords, the job of Christians is to do the will of the Father, and to bring and give Jesus glory. Chasing around demons, or focusing on demons is too often taking away from glorifying God. So, I do not like excessive focus on demons.