jerryR34

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2

Can you kind of boil it down to where your main point of contention lies in the above passage?   That is too long of a passage to address completely on this kind of forum.  Just present the verses that present the biggest problem and state why they are problem for you and we can go from there.

thanks - I guess I have a problem with the ceremonial aspects of what I posted.  Is God supposed to be happy that we killed a bird under water or sprinkled water a specific number of times.  If you look at medicine throughout history, you can see where the bible led people astray and actually made medcine worse (look at bleeding for instance).  Do you really think that what is practiced in the chapters and verses above actually helped anyone...or actually appeased God or should appease God?

If you are referring to the practice of bloodletting, where a doctor will let a patient bleed, that is not rooted in the bible at all. Nowhere is such a thing mentioned in the bible. The origins of that practice come from other cultures that followed false gods. It was practiced by ancient egyptians, ancient greeks and ancient hindus. 

...And practiced by Christians up until modern times. It was thought to release the bad humors from the blood.

It was pretty much practiced by everyone, not just Christians.  And as pointed out there was no biblical reason for it.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Birthday:  11/12/1969

Can you kind of boil it down to where your main point of contention lies in the above passage?   That is too long of a passage to address completely on this kind of forum.  Just present the verses that present the biggest problem and state why they are problem for you and we can go from there.

thanks - I guess I have a problem with the ceremonial aspects of what I posted.  Is God supposed to be happy that we killed a bird under water or sprinkled water a specific number of times.  If you look at medicine throughout history, you can see where the bible led people astray and actually made medcine worse (look at bleeding for instance).  Do you really think that what is practiced in the chapters and verses above actually helped anyone...or actually appeased God or should appease God?

If you are referring to the practice of bloodletting, where a doctor will let a patient bleed, that is not rooted in the bible at all. Nowhere is such a thing mentioned in the bible. The origins of that practice come from other cultures that followed false gods. It was practiced by ancient egyptians, ancient greeks and ancient hindus. 

...And practiced by Christians up until modern times. It was thought to release the bad humors from the blood.

It was pretty much practiced by everyone, not just Christians.  And as pointed out there was no biblical reason for

The bible was the reason for doing it.  Fortunately, there were some strong/brave enough to stand up against "Christian" medicine.  It takes some strong intelectual ignorance to read history and not come to that conclusion.

Edited by jerryR34

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

It was pretty much practiced by everyone, not just Christians.  And as pointed out there was no biblical reason for

The bible was the reason for doing it.  Fortunately, there were some strong/brave enough to stand up against "Christian" medicine.  It takes some strong intelectual ignorance to read history and not come to that conclusion.

How can a practice that pre-dates Christ be the result of Christians?  Can you please provide the bible passages that instruct people in blood letting?  And finally, if the bible is the reason for doing it, why did the ancient Greeks practice it?

How can a practice that pre-dates Christ be the result of Christians?  Can you please provide the bible passages that instruct people in blood letting?  And finally, if the bible is the reason for doing it, why did the ancient Greeks practice it?

You are equivocating.  My original post was from the Old Testament.  Why did God not reveal germ-theory in the bible, or for that matter anything that the people of biblical times did not already know?

Guest shiloh357

You are equivocating.  My original post was from the Old Testament.  Why did God not reveal germ-theory in the bible, or for that matter anything that the people of biblical times did not already know?

Actually if you notice in the PDF I showed you, the practices in the first ten listed there were for the purpose of preventing infection and the spreading of germs and bacteria.  It is these practices similar to these that kept the Jews in Europe from contracting the black plague. 

But even in the first century, people understood the existence of parasites and knew to boil stagnate water before drinking it or cooking with it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Practiced by doctors who happened to be of all religious views. It is not something Christianity or the bible promoted. It was "science" of the time that promoted it. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Please provide the evidence that the bible was the reason for doing it. 

Actually if you notice in the PDF I showed you, the practices in the first ten listed there were for the purpose of preventing infection and the spreading of germs and bacteria.  It is these practices similar to these that kept the Jews in Europe from contracting the black plague. 

But even in the first century, people understood the existence of parasites and knew to boil stagnate water before drinking it or cooking with it.

Please cite anything regarding the natural world that the bible gave us that we did not already know.  If anything it has, and continues to stifle science education.

Edited by jerryR34

Guest shiloh357

Please cite anything regarding the natural world that bible gave us that we did not already know.  If anything it has, and continues to stifle science education.

Again, reference is made to the PDF file.  It shows the hygene practice God commanded the Scripture passage where found and the conventional wisdom of the surrounding nations of the known world at that time.  The Bible shows that God commanded hygenic practices that flew in the face of conventional worldly wisdom and practice during biblical times.

Please provide the evidence that the bible was the reason for doing it. 

You are being extremely intellectually dishonest if you do not think that Christians used bloodletting as a balance to the humors for the last 1500 years.  If Christians did it, you can be assured it was based on their reading of the Bible.

Edited by jerryR34