ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

This question came up in chat, and with the permission of the person who asked it originally, I would like to post it here for a discussion.

In oklahoma, they are raising money to build a statue to satan at the state capital, where the 10 commandments is placed. Pretty foul.

The question that was asked is, is it ok to destroy this statue? What do you think should be the proper response to such a thing?

Guest ninhao

No i don't think it's ok to destroy this statue at this point in time.

Rom 12:17-19  Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.  (18)  If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.  (19)  Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

We could spend all day long destroying idols if we decide to. Oh I've returned to suggest we may, and should, destroy our own idols at will of course. 

The question that was asked is, is it ok to destroy this statue? What do you think should be the proper response to such a thing?

Romans 13

Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.

2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves.

1 peter 2

13 Therefore submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake, whether to the king as supreme,

14 or to governors, as to those who are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and for the praise of those who do good.

15 For this is the will of God, that by doing good you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men--

16 as free, yet not using liberty as a cloak for vice, but as bondservants of God.

Destroying someone else's property is breaking the law.

No i don't think it's ok to destroy this statue at this point in time.

Rom 12:17-19  Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.  (18)  If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.  (19)  Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

We could spend all day long destroying idols if we decide to. Oh I've returned to suggest we may, and should, destroy our own idols at will of course. 

I liked that answer.

My suggestions were to 1) pray that the Lord destroys it 2) witness to folks there who the real God is 3) if you want to destroy it, buy the statue first so it is your own property and 4) take it to the courts to see if it should be there or not. 

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

The first thing I would point out is that this is really no different than a mosque or a buddhist temple, etc. It's base idolatry, it just so happens that they're attempting to do so on public land.

Secondly, I would point out Isaiah 44 (emphasis added):

Isa 44:8  Fear not, nor be afraid; have I not told you from of old and declared it? And you are my witnesses! Is there a God besides me? There is no Rock; I know not any." 
Isa 44:9  All who fashion idols are nothing, and the things they delight in do not profit. Their witnesses neither see nor know, that they may be put to shame. 
Isa 44:10  Who fashions a god or casts an idol that is profitable for nothing? 
Isa 44:11  Behold, all his companions shall be put to shame, and the craftsmen are only human. Let them all assemble, let them stand forth. They shall be terrified; they shall be put to shame together. 
Isa 44:12  The ironsmith takes a cutting tool and works it over the coals. He fashions it with hammers and works it with his strong arm. He becomes hungry, and his strength fails; he drinks no water and is faint. 
Isa 44:13  The carpenter stretches a line; he marks it out with a pencil. He shapes it with planes and marks it with a compass. He shapes it into the figure of a man, with the beauty of a man, to dwell in a house. 
Isa 44:14  He cuts down cedars, or he chooses a cypress tree or an oak and lets it grow strong among the trees of the forest. He plants a cedar and the rain nourishes it. 
Isa 44:15  Then it becomes fuel for a man. He takes a part of it and warms himself; he kindles a fire and bakes bread. Also he makes a god and worships it; he makes it an idol and falls down before it. 
Isa 44:16  Half of it he burns in the fire. Over the half he eats meat; he roasts it and is satisfied. Also he warms himself and says, "Aha, I am warm, I have seen the fire!" 
Isa 44:17  And the rest of it he makes into a god, his idol, and falls down to it and worships it. He prays to it and says, "Deliver me, for you are my god!"
Isa 44:18  They know not, nor do they discern, for he has shut their eyes, so that they cannot see, and their hearts, so that they cannot understand. 
Isa 44:19  No one considers, nor is there knowledge or discernment to say, "Half of it I burned in the fire; I also baked bread on its coals; I roasted meat and have eaten. And shall I make the rest of it an abomination? Shall I fall down before a block of wood?" 

At the end of the day these people are going to cut metal and/or wood and fashion a false god out of it. This would be no different than carving a table and worshiping it. It's not going to save them. It's more saddening than anything.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

There are idols to satan all over the place, in just about every news media you can find, etc.

One more, as prominent as it may be is not going to make too much difference.

And you may be surprised how God can use something like that to Glorify His kingdom!

This question came up in chat, and with the permission of the person who asked it originally, I would like to post it here for a discussion.

In oklahoma, they are raising money to build a statue to satan at the state capital, where the 10 commandments is placed. Pretty foul.

~

Replace Those Old Precious Ten Commandments

With New (NASB) Ones Thirty Feet Tall 

Chiseled In Black Granite

Idol Crusher

Then God spoke all these words, saying,

“I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

“You shall have no other gods before Me.

“You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me,but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

“You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.

“Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath of the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the Lord your God gives you.

“You shall not murder.

“You shall not commit adultery.

“You shall not steal.

“You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

“You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife or his male servant or his female servant or his ox or his donkey or anything that belongs to your neighbor.” Exodus 20:1-17 (NASB)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

It would be better to focus on tearing down the heart idols that lead to this sort of thing.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

Spiritually: It will be built and displayed in vain. It is nothing but an image chiseled from rock, it has no purpose or power or authority to do anything.

Intellectually: The justification by the "satanists" for creating and displaying the monument is so contradictory the message will be lost and no one will be influenced by it.

Physically: It's just graffiti and is juvenile. It serves no purpose but to mock the 10 Commandments and ridicule Christians and Jews.

No reason to destroy it, if it is allowed to be displayed right next to the 10 Commandments, what do you think will provoke more serious contemplation? A caricature of a boogey man, or God's Law? It's something that we all have chiseled into our hearts.