• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Dave Ramsey did a great commentary on this issue. Basically his argument was that folks have a tendency to confuse self value - their value as human beings - with the value that they bring to the marketplace.  Some people feel that they are worth more than the minimum wage, that they deserve a living wage, because they exist.  Well, the fact is, if you feel that you deserve a living wage then you should really prove your worth by bringing value to the marketplace, to your employer. Prove that you are worth a certain sum of money as compensation for your work.

Every person as a human being deserves respect; they deserve love, compassion, honor, etc., but no one deserves a living wage. That is something earned through hard work.

Guest shiloh357

Dave Ramsey did a great commentary on this issue. Basically his argument was that folks have a tendency to confuse self value - their value as human beings - with the value that they bring to the marketplace.  Some people feel that they are worth more than the minimum wage, that they deserve a living wage, because they exist.  Well, the fact is, if you feel that you deserve a living wage then you should really prove your worth by bringing value to the marketplace, to your employer. Prove that you are worth a certain sum of money as compensation for your work.

Every person as a human being deserves respect; they deserve love, compassion, honor, etc., but no one deserves a living wage. That is something earned through hard work.

Welcom back, Ovedya!  Been a long time, brother.

Welcom back, Ovedya!  Been a long time, brother.

Too long. I was amazed to find that I still have my old account here.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

Thought the State of the Union was interesting... Particularly President Obama in raising the minimum wage to $10.10...

His proposal for employers to "give America a raise" sounds great, as do many campaign promises, but it falls short in the reality department. Most employers are struggling with higher costs, increased government red tape and climbing insurance costs. The economy isn't improving nearly as fast as the politicians would have one believe. Gas prices are still through the roof.

In spite of this, Obama seems to think employers can find a way to increase wages for their employees without the benefit of increased productivity or increased sales. Unfortunately, employers can't print money like the government to meet the president's demand. Even though Obama has a hard time grasping the fact, money has to come from somewhere. Business owners can't wave a magic wand and find free money to give away.

— Wiley Vaughn, Kingsport, Tenn.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.09
  • Days Won:  2

Why be such a piker!  Why not raise the "national" minimum wage up to 15.00 or even 20.00 an hour?  I mean...10.10 an hour will do so much good, let's do a whole LOT of good!

Witless amateur.

I just wasn't willing to go through the torture of listening to another Obama speech.  That is what people like Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck get the big bucks for.  They listen to Obama, and I find out from them the important things to take from the speech.  Raising the minimum wage is a job killer, period.  I would get rid of it altogether, but I do agree with the point Marnie is making.  If we really want everyone to have a living wage, why not raise it up to something good?  How about requiring all full time employees make a minimum of $50K per year? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I just wasn't willing to go through the torture of listening to another Obama speech.  That is what people like Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck get the big bucks for.  They listen to Obama, and I find out from them the important things to take from the speech.  Raising the minimum wage is a job killer, period.  I would get rid of it altogether, but I do agree with the point Marnie is making.  If we really want everyone to have a living wage, why not raise it up to something good?  How about requiring all full time employees make a minimum of $50K per year? 

I felt the same way about the speech.  My wife watched and I heard her groan more than once and she raised her voice in protest four times......   got up twice to walk through the house to tell me what a lying jerk he is....

I'll listen to Beck's show later and pick up some of the details and I won't have to put up with all those Senators standing and clapping in approval.....   drives my blood pressure up.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  15,676
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

minwages_zps30d8150d.png

I think that most folks don't tend to consider the whole, "raises all boats" argument in detail. Let's say a company with 100 employees is forced to raise their basic compensation for bottom-end employees by three dollars. That means the value of those entry-level jobs has increased, based upon compensation. Therefore, the middle-range and upper-range jobs must also increase, because it's about value/skill, not value/person.  Therefore, if such a company were forced to increase low-wage earning jobs, they would eventually be forced to increase all other compensation.

So the issue is really not about the entry-level jobs, it's about all jobs,  and any company forced to increase minimum wage compensation would eventually see a much greater increase in overhead, simply due to the domino effect it would cause.  Any products/services provided by those companies would have to inflate to adjust for the increase in overhead. Therefore, the bottom line is simply this: Increasing minimum wage means that everything stays the same.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

There is one difference with an increase in minimum wage. Your savings are worth less in buying power.