ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

Im doing a bible study on two psalms (which I will post in here when its finished). In that, I came across the psalm title "to the sons of Korah." Usually I read this and move on but this time I decided to look carefully at who they were. Especially since I remember that Korah wasnt such a great guy in the bible.

The Sons of Korah

The Sons of Korah is a name seen on several psalms. They were a family of Levitical singers. 

Korah was a great-grandson of Levi, Num 16:1. He was united with Dathan and Abiram in opposition to Moses, and was the leader of the conspiracy, Jude 1:11 Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core. and Num_16.

Num 16:1 Now Korah, the son of Izhar, the son of Kohath, the son of Levi, and Dathan and Abiram, the sons of Eliab, and On, the son of Peleth, sons of Reuben, took men: 
Num 16:2 And they rose up before Moses, with certain of the children of Israel, two hundred and fifty princes of the assembly, famous in the congregation, men of renown: 
Num 16:3 And they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron, and said unto them, Ye take too much upon you, seeing all the congregation are holy, every one of them, and the LORD is among them: wherefore then lift ye up yourselves above the congregation of the LORD? 
Num 16:4 And when Moses heard it, he fell upon his face: 
Num 16:5 And he spake unto Korah and unto all his company, saying, Even to morrow the LORD will shew who are his, and who is holy; and will cause him to come near unto him: even him whom he hath chosen will he cause to come near unto him. 
Num 16:6 This do; Take you censers, Korah, and all his company; 
Num 16:7 And put fire therein, and put incense in them before the LORD to morrow: and it shall be that the man whom the LORD doth choose, he shall be holy: ye take too much upon you, ye sons of Levi. 
Num 16:8 And Moses said unto Korah, Hear, I pray you, ye sons of Levi: 
Num 16:9 Seemeth it but a small thing unto you, that the God of Israel hath separated you from the congregation of Israel, to bring you near to himself to do the service of the tabernacle of the LORD, and to stand before the congregation to minister unto them? 
Num 16:10 And he hath brought thee near to him, and all thy brethren the sons of Levi with thee: and seek ye the priesthood also? 
Num 16:11 For which cause both thou and all thy company are gathered together against the LORD: and what is Aaron, that ye murmur against him? 
Num 16:12 And Moses sent to call Dathan and Abiram, the sons of Eliab: which said, We will not come up: 
Num 16:13 Is it a small thing that thou hast brought us up out of a land that floweth with milk and honey, to kill us in the wilderness, except thou make thyself altogether a prince over us? 
Num 16:14 Moreover thou hast not brought us into a land that floweth with milk and honey, or given us inheritance of fields and vineyards: wilt thou put out the eyes of these men? we will not come up. 
Num 16:15 And Moses was very wroth, and said unto the LORD, Respect not thou their offering: I have not taken one ass from them, neither have I hurt one of them. 
Num 16:16 And Moses said unto Korah, Be thou and all thy company before the LORD, thou, and they, and Aaron, to morrow: 
Num 16:17 And take every man his censer, and put incense in them, and bring ye before the LORD every man his censer, two hundred and fifty censers; thou also, and Aaron, each of you his censer. 
Num 16:18 And they took every man his censer, and put fire in them, and laid incense thereon, and stood in the door of the tabernacle of the congregation with Moses and Aaron. 
Num 16:19 And Korah gathered all the congregation against them unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation: and the glory of the LORD appeared unto all the congregation. 
Num 16:20 And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying, 
Num 16:21 Separate yourselves from among this congregation, that I may consume them in a moment. 
Num 16:22 And they fell upon their faces, and said, O God, the God of the spirits of all flesh, shall one man sin, and wilt thou be wroth with all the congregation? 
Num 16:23 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 
Num 16:24 Speak unto the congregation, saying, Get you up from about the tabernacle of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram. 
Num 16:25 And Moses rose up and went unto Dathan and Abiram; and the elders of Israel followed him. 
Num 16:26 And he spake unto the congregation, saying, Depart, I pray you, from the tents of these wicked men, and touch nothing of theirs, lest ye be consumed in all their sins. 
Num 16:27 So they gat up from the tabernacle of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram, on every side: and Dathan and Abiram came out, and stood in the door of their tents, and their wives, and their sons, and their little children. 
Num 16:28 And Moses said, Hereby ye shall know that the LORD hath sent me to do all these works; for I have not done them of mine own mind. 
Num 16:29 If these men die the common death of all men, or if they be visited after the visitation of all men; then the LORD hath not sent me. 
Num 16:30 But if the LORD make a new thing, and the earth open her mouth, and swallow them up, with all that appertain unto them, and they go down quick into the pit; then ye shall understand that these men have provoked the LORD. 
Num 16:31 And it came to pass, as he had made an end of speaking all these words, that the ground clave asunder that was under them: 
Num 16:32 And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods. 
Num 16:33 They, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed upon them: and they perished from among the congregation. 
Num 16:34 And all Israel that were round about them fled at the cry of them: for they said, Lest the earth swallow us up also. 
Num 16:35 And there came out a fire from the LORD, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense. 
Num 16:36 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 
Num 16:37 Speak unto Eleazar the son of Aaron the priest, that he take up the censers out of the burning, and scatter thou the fire yonder; for they are hallowed. 
Num 16:38 The censers of these sinners against their own souls, let them make them broad plates for a covering of the altar: for they offered them before the LORD, therefore they are hallowed: and they shall be a sign unto the children of Israel. 
Num 16:39 And Eleazar the priest took the brasen censers, wherewith they that were burnt had offered; and they were made broad plates for a covering of the altar: 
Num 16:40 To be a memorial unto the children of Israel, that no stranger, which is not of the seed of Aaron, come near to offer incense before the LORD; that he be not as Korah, and as his company: as the LORD said to him by the hand of Moses. 
Num 16:41 But on the morrow all the congregation of the children of Israel murmured against Moses and against Aaron, saying, Ye have killed the people of the LORD. 
Num 16:42 And it came to pass, when the congregation was gathered against Moses and against Aaron, that they looked toward the tabernacle of the congregation: and, behold, the cloud covered it, and the glory of the LORD appeared. 
Num 16:43 And Moses and Aaron came before the tabernacle of the congregation. 
Num 16:44 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 
Num 16:45 Get you up from among this congregation, that I may consume them as in a moment. And they fell upon their faces. 
Num 16:46 And Moses said unto Aaron, Take a censer, and put fire therein from off the altar, and put on incense, and go quickly unto the congregation, and make an atonement for them: for there is wrath gone out from the LORD; the plague is begun. 
Num 16:47 And Aaron took as Moses commanded, and ran into the midst of the congregation; and, behold, the plague was begun among the people: and he put on incense, and made an atonement for the people. 
Num 16:48 And he stood between the dead and the living; and the plague was stayed. 
Num 16:49 Now they that died in the plague were fourteen thousand and seven hundred, beside them that died about the matter of Korah. 
Num 16:50 And Aaron returned unto Moses unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation: and the plague was stayed.

Korah’s children did not die in this incident. Num 26:9-11 And the sons of Eliab; Nemuel, and Dathan, and Abiram. This is that Dathan and Abiram, which were famous in the congregation, who strove against Moses and against Aaron in the company of Korah, when they strove against the LORD: And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up together with Korah, when that company died, what time the fire devoured two hundred and fifty men: and they became a sign. Notwithstanding the children of Korah died not.

Korah had three sons, Assir, Elkanah, and Abiasaph Exo 6:24 And the sons of Korah; Assir, and Elkanah, and Abiasaph: these are the families of the Korhites. and of their descendants David selected a number to preside over the music of the sanctuary, 1Ch 6:22-24 The sons of Kohath; Amminadab his son, Korah his son, Assir his son, Elkanah his son, and Ebiasaph his son, and Assir his son, Tahath his son, Uriel his son, Uzziah his son, and Shaul his son. 1Ch 6:31 And these are they whom David set over the service of song in the house of the LORD, after that the ark had rest. 

They continued in this service until the time of Jehoshaphat, 
2Ch 20:19 And the Levites, of the children of the Kohathites, and of the children of the Korhites, stood up to praise the LORD God of Israel with a loud voice on high. 
2Ch 20:20 And they rose early in the morning, and went forth into the wilderness of Tekoa: and as they went forth, Jehoshaphat stood and said, Hear me, O Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem; Believe in the LORD your God, so shall ye be established; believe his prophets, so shall ye prosper. 
2Ch 20:21 And when he had consulted with the people, he appointed singers unto the LORD, and that should praise the beauty of holiness, as they went out before the army, and to say, Praise the LORD; for his mercy endureth for ever. 
2Ch 20:22 And when they began to sing and to praise, the LORD set ambushments against the children of Ammon, Moab, and mount Seir, which were come against Judah; and they were smitten. 
2Ch 20:23 For the children of Ammon and Moab stood up against the inhabitants of mount Seir, utterly to slay and destroy them: and when they had made an end of the inhabitants of Seir, every one helped to destroy another. 
2Ch 20:24 And when Judah came toward the watch tower in the wilderness, they looked unto the multitude, and, behold, they were dead bodies fallen to the earth, and none escaped.

One of the most eminent of the descendants of Korah, who was employed especially in the musical service of the sanctuary, was Heman: 1Ch 6:33 And these are they that waited with their children. Of the sons of the Kohathites: Heman a singer, the son of Joel, the son of Shemuel, The sons of Heman were appointed by David, in connection with the sons of Asaph, and of Jeduthun, to preside over the music: 
1Ch 25:1 Moreover David and the captains of the host separated to the service of the sons of Asaph, and of Heman, and of Jeduthun, who should prophesy with harps, with psalteries, and with cymbals: and the number of the workmen according to their service was: 
1Ch 25:4-6 Of Heman: the sons of Heman; Bukkiah, Mattaniah, Uzziel, Shebuel, and Jerimoth, Hananiah, Hanani, Eliathah, Giddalti, and Romamtiezer, Joshbekashah, Mallothi, Hothir, and Mahazioth: All these were the sons of Heman the king's seer in the words of God, to lift up the horn. And God gave to Heman fourteen sons and three daughters. All these were under the hands of their father for song in the house of the LORD, with cymbals, psalteries, and harps, for the service of the house of God, according to the king's order to Asaph, Jeduthun, and Heman. 
2Ch_5:12 Also the Levites which were the singers, all of them of Asaph, of Heman, of Jeduthun, with their sons and their brethren, being arrayed in white linen, having cymbals and psalteries and harps, stood at the east end of the altar, and with them an hundred and twenty priests sounding with trumpets:) 
2Ch_29:14 And of the sons of Heman; Jehiel, and Shimei: and of the sons of Jeduthun; Shemaiah, and Uzziel. 

It is interesting to note that Samuel the prophet is of the line of Korah. 
1Ch 6:33 And these are they that waited with their children. Of the sons of the Kohathites: Heman a singer, the son of Joel, the son of Shemuel, 
1Ch 6:34 The son of Elkanah, the son of Jeroham, the son of Eliel, the son of Toah, 
1Ch 6:35 The son of Zuph, the son of Elkanah, the son of Mahath, the son of Amasai, 
1Ch 6:36 The son of Elkanah, the son of Joel, the son of Azariah, the son of Zephaniah, 
1Ch 6:37 The son of Tahath, the son of Assir, the son of Ebiasaph, the son of Korah, 
1Ch 6:38 The son of Izhar, the son of Kohath, the son of Levi, the son of Israel.
1Sa 1:1 Now there was a certain man of Ramathaimzophim, of mount Ephraim, and his name was Elkanah, the son of Jeroham, the son of Elihu, the son of Tohu, the son of Zuph, an Ephrathite: 
1Sa 1:2 And he had two wives; the name of the one was Hannah, and the name of the other Peninnah: and Peninnah had children, but Hannah had no children. 
1Sa 1:20 Wherefore it came to pass, when the time was come about after Hannah had conceived, that she bare a son, and called his name Samuel, saying, Because I have asked him of the LORD.

To the chief Musician, for the sons of Korah – This title is given to eleven psalms. The psalms to which this title is given are the Psalms 42; 44; 45; 46; 47; 48; 49; 84; 85; 87; and 88. 
Psa 42:1 To the chief Musician, Maschil, for the sons of Korah. As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. 
Psa 44:1 To the chief Musician for the sons of Korah, Maschil. We have heard with our ears, O God, our fathers have told us, what work thou didst in their days, in the times of old. 
Psa 45:1 To the chief Musician upon Shoshannim, for the sons of Korah, Maschil, A Song of loves. My heart is inditing a good matter: I speak of the things which I have made touching the king: my tongue is the pen of a ready writer. 
Psa 46:1 To the chief Musician for the sons of Korah, A Song upon Alamoth. God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. 
Psa 47:1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm for the sons of Korah. O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph. 
Psa 48:1 A Song and Psalm for the sons of Korah. Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised in the city of our God, in the mountain of his holiness. 
Psa 49:1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm for the sons of Korah. Hear this, all ye people; give ear, all ye inhabitants of the world: 
Psa 84:1 To the chief Musician upon Gittith, A Psalm for the sons of Korah. How amiable are thy tabernacles, O LORD of hosts!
Psa 85:1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm for the sons of Korah. LORD, thou hast been favourable unto thy land: thou hast brought back the captivity of Jacob. 
Psa 87:1 A Psalm or Song for the sons of Korah. His foundation is in the holy mountains. 
Psa 88:1 A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  246
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/09/1974

I was recently discussing this in another thread I was a member of, in another website.

I called my thread "Saintly Sons of a Foolish Father"

We see that God opened the earth and swallowed those wicked men for their sins.  But, generations later, we see in the Psalms that the descentants learned the lesson of their forefathers and said:

Psalm 46:2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

They were talking about what happened to their forefathers.  But they themselve redeemed their name - Sons of Korah.  For they said that NOT EVEN THE EARTH BEING REMOVED could sway them from their service to God.  But their forefathers fell into the earth removed due to sin.

Powerful.

Amazing.

Ancestors who were rebels and fools against God.

Descendants who were godly men and convinced of God.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Random thoughts:

It might be that those who sing before the Lord are more vulnerable to pride, rebellion and overstepping their place as satan also did.

King Saul also comes to mind but he was a ruler who wrongfully assumed the role of a priest.

Many involved in Christian music today are susceptable to pride and fall.

It is a good reminder to all who stand before the people.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

We still have huge sink holes today and houses are being swallowed by them.

Now all these things happened as examples, and they were written for our admonition, --

Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. 1 Cor. 10:11-12 NKJV

Christ had a servent's heart and took the lowliest of positions. So should we.

Random thoughts:

It might be that those who sing before the Lord are more vulnerable to pride, rebellion and overstepping their place as satan also did.

King Saul also comes to mind but he was a ruler who wrongfully assumed the role of a priest.

Many involved in Christian music today are susceptible to pride and fall.

It is a good reminder to all who stand before the people.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom Proverbs 1:7(a)

We still have huge sink holes today and houses are being swallowed by them.

Now all these things happened as examples, and they were written for our admonition, --

Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. 1 Corinthians 10:11-12 NKJV

Christ had a servant's heart and took the lowliest of positions. So should we.

:thumbsup:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.51
  • Days Won:  3

Good study, Jade. Thanks. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Well done!

I often wondered about those prefaces in the Psalms, but I hadn't gotten that far down my research-to-do list to find out.

Thanks so much for your hard work. Love learning new things.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,762
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1964

Thanks Ayin...was a blessing!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Thanks, Jade.

I had wondered how there could be "sons of Korah" when it mentioned: "So they gat up from the tabernacle of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram, on every side: and Dathan and Abiram came out, and stood in the door of their tents, and their wives, and their sons, and their little children." (Num 16:27)

Somehow I missed the mention of Korah's children not dying. (Though I wonder how that happened?)