• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  514
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/07/1989

But the guards said the Disciples came by night while they were sleeping (Friday night for your account) and stole the body.  So there was no Sabbath Saturday day time for your account.  For the guards account and your account do not add up.

But if Christ Arose early on Sunday morning before daylight as Scripture says, then the guards account of Jesus Disciples taking the body which would be sometimes Sat night to early Sun morning becomes accurate.  Therefore a predawn (Sunday 6am or earlier) account of the Resurrection is the most accurate.

In Christ

Montana Marv

The first day starts at the evening not morning my friend 

Thus when the women went to the tomb on the saturday Jesus was not there 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

actually the Bible don't say what day He arose, it does say that the women went to the tomb on the first day of the week, but He was already gone. so at best it is an assumption that He arose on Sunday which was the first day of the week, It doesn't say what day He was put in the tomb.it was before the Sabbath or on the Sabbath. he just couldn't be on the cross on the Sabbath,  ( keeping in mind the Jewish days started a 6 at night so the Sabbath would be from 6 pm to 6pm the next day) also you need to factor that this was the week that the Passover was suppose to be, Holy days such as Passover were also called Sabbaths, so did they have the Passover on Friday before the seventh day Sabbath ( Saturday) or did the Passover Sabbath fall on the seventh day Sabbath.       

John 5:39

King James Version (KJV)

39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Many  in an attempt to teach a Sunday morning resurrection, have used Matthew 28:1 in support of such a teaching. We do know, however, that Jesus Christ was resurrected on Saturday afternoon, around sunset, after having been in the grave for three days and three nights. He was killed on a Wednesday, and placed in the grave on Wednesday afternoon, just around sunset.

"We read in Matthew 28:1-6 (Authorized Version): 'In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day ( which stars at evening ) of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre. And behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it… And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. He is not here: for HE IS RISEN, AS HE SAID.'

"We note from the passage that Christ was already resurrected by the time the women came to the grave. We are told that they appeared 'in the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week.'This point out that this phrase discusses the END of the SABBATH, that is, Saturday evening or late afternoon, and NOT Sunday morning.

as it began to dawn toward the first day ( which stars at evening ) 

I am afraid that is a reference to the dawn of the day (as in the period of daylight) and not the beginning of new calendar day. working from the Greek literally it is "after the Sabbath as the new day was shining forth," or as the sun was rising:

1) Ὀψὲ  is functioning as genitive preposition, so it can only mean 'after

2) ἐπιφωσκούσῃ  literally means to shine forth in this context

But the guards said the Disciples came by night while they were sleeping (Friday night for your account) and stole the body.  So there was no Sabbath Saturday day time for your account.  For the guards account and your account do not add up.

But if Christ Arose early on Sunday morning before daylight as Scripture says, then the guards account of Jesus Disciples taking the body which would be sometimes Sat night to early Sun morning becomes accurate.  Therefore a predawn (Sunday 6am or earlier) account of the Resurrection is the most accurate.

In Christ

Montana Marv

Jesus was not risen on Sunday morning my friend the word dawn does not mean morning in that verse you should tudy the greek

Actually it means precisely that, let's appeal top the lexicons: 

[GING]  ἐπιφώσκω  shine forth, dawn, break perhaps draw on Mt 28:1; Lk 23:54.* [

[Louw-Nida] ἐπιφώσκω: to change from darkness to light in the early morning hours—‘to dawn, to become light.’

[Dictionary of Biblical Languages with Semantic Domains]:2216 ἐπιφώσκω (epiphōskō): vb.; ≡ Str 2020; TDNT 9.310—LN 14.41 dawn, beginning of the day when the sun shines forth (Mt 28:1; Lk 23:54+)

They all say the same thing! Freiend, if you are going to appeal to the Greek then you need to make sure you have got it right my friend :D
Edited by Reformed Baptist

Matthew 12:40

King James Version (KJV)

40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

The Bible says---that two Marys came to see the sepulchre Saturday afternoon. "In the end of the Sabbath" and the tomb WAS empty.
The angel rolled back the stoneand sat upon it and said, "He is not here: for He is risen" (Matt. 28:1-6).The Sabbath ends at sundown. See Lev. 23:32. "In the end of the Sabbath" would bebefore sundown Saturday afternoon and not on the first day 

In Christ

Montana Marv

Jesus was not risen on Sunday morning my friend the word dawn does not mean morning in that verse you should tudy the greek

[GING]  ἐπιφώσκω  shine forth, dawn, break perhaps draw on Mt 28:1; Lk 23:54.* [

[Louw-Nida] ἐπιφώσκω: to change from darkness to light in the early morning hours—‘to dawn, to become light.’

[Dictionary of Biblical Languages with Semantic Domains]:2216 ἐπιφώσκω (epiphōskō): vb.; ≡ Str 2020; TDNT 9.310—LN 14.41 dawn, beginning of the day when the sun shines forth (Mt 28:1; Lk 23:54+)

They all say the same thing! Freiend, if you are going to appeal to the Greek then you need to make sure you have got it right my friend :D

Did you post all that it means ?

My research shews you did not we are dealing with the Jewish culture so please check again 

A day does not start in the morning that is man made 

remember 

John 19:31

King James Version (KJV)

31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

High Sabbath Day (John 19:31) and by coming that way a certain day of
the month, it came on a different day of the week each year---like our 4th of July does, and on the year that Jesus was crucified, the preparation day came on Wednesday---the day before the high day sabbath ---which came on Thursday (John 19:14). 

This can beproved by counting three days before the time Jesus rose. Figures do not lie, and Jesus would not lie, and the Bible does notlie in Matt. 28:1-6 when it says the two Marys found the sepulchre empty in the "end of the Sabbath.And the first day did not aririve as yet

"We do not wish to confuse then high day Sabbath with the Sabbath of the Commandment which is the seventh day. At this time, the high day Sabbath was on Thursday, 

This day is always celebrated on the fifteenth day of the first month. Numbers 28:16 tells of the Passover being on the 14th day (the day on which Jesus was crucified),

and the 17th and 18th verses tell us that the 15th day was a day of holy convocation or a Sabbath. The 14th day is the Passover when the Lamb was slain and eaten. Christ is our Passover.

Edited by Izzel

In Christ

Montana Marv

Did you post all that it means ?

My research shews you did not we are dealing with the Jewish culture so please check again 

A day does not start in the morning that is man made 

remember 

Well then my friend, if that is the case you will be able to produce quotes from properly recognized and respected Greek lexicons (as I have done) which support what you saying won't you? Because with all due respect without them you're assertions carry no weight at all. The ball is in your court to refute what I saying, not discredit it through a thinly veiled insinuation that I am leaving something out! 

As for a calendar day starting in the morning being man made, well yes that is true, but the text doesn't say the calendar day was beginning, it says the day was starting to shine forth, (as every first year Greek student will tell you would accurately translate it) and yes the period of the calendar day that we refer to as day (as opposed to night) does begin in the morning with dawn, and it always has since God created to begin that way. It seems to me that you decided this reference must be to a calendar day but I see no exegesis to support that assumption. 

Of course the case become even more compelling for what I am saying when we read the other gospel accounts, for example:

Mark 16:2 Very early in the morning, on the first day of the week, they came to the tomb when the sun had risen. ( NKJ)

Luke 24:1 Now on the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they, and certain other women with them, came to the tomb bringing the spices which they had prepared. ( NKJ)

There can really be no argument as to what Matthew meant when we see what the other synoptic say.  

In Christ

Montana Marv

Matthew 28:1

King James Version (KJV)

28 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

as it began to dawn toward first of week...", -or- "....as time began to draw-on toward the very first moment of a new week...").

In verse 1, the word "dawn" ("epiphosko" [ep-ee-foce'-ko] - Strong's #G2020) means to DRAW-ON toward something, especially in terms of time.

Another location where that same Greek word, "epiphosko" (ep-ee-foce'-ko), is used to mean DRAW-ON toward something in terms of time - but NOT in reference to sunrise (dawn) - as you stated is found in 

Luke 23:54 "And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath DREW-ON." (Strong's #G2020)

The possible usages of the word "Dawn"

You will note:  1 - Sunrise - Grow bright;

2 - Beginning - Start - Onset;

3 - To realize something; i.e. "Did it Dawn on you yet?" 

-or- "It finally Dawned on me!";

4 - The arrival of something  -  in terms of time; 

i.e. "At the Dawn of a new era..."  

5 I hope this has Dawn on you my friend  :mgcheerful: 

Edited by Izzel

Sorry, I thought we were going to engage in Greek exegesis not dip our toe into strong's and Thayer - which is always a dangerous and potentially misleading thing to do because of the sheer simplicity of these tools :D

The truth is I did present all the meanings this form of the word ἐπιφώσκω may take. But maybe you can tell me my friend, according to your research, what is the significance of ἐπιφωσκούσῃ being an active dative present participle in Matt 28:1 as opposed to the indicative imperfect third person active verb in (ἐπέφωσκεν) in Luke 23:54, how does that effect the translation (meaning) of the word into English? 

Then also we can trace the root of ἐπιφώσκω to ἐπιφαύσκω which means to shine upon or give light to. 

6hpy6w.jpg

Edited by Izzel