IGNORED

Men topless vs Women topless The same, or different ?

firestormx

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

There was a story here in North Carolina where I live about a bill that was proposed in Feb. 2013 that would make it a crime ( misdemeanor ) for a woman to expose her nipples in public. The Bill failed, however there was a lot of protesting about it. especially in Asheville NC.  Someone I know just brought this to my attention. The Woman who brought this to my attention is not a Christian and sees no problem with a women exposing her breasts in public. One of the questions she asked that I couldn't answer is, Why is it ok and acceptable to Christians for a man to be topless and not a woman? How is that not hypocritical? I was curious as to what other believers think about this issue.

Is it the same thing for a man and a women to both be topless in public?

I always thought they were different, because to me a woman's chest is sexual and a man's is not. My friend pointed out the opposite is true for her. That thought had honestly never occurred to me. That a man topless could be a true temptation to a woman. I mean forgive me here, but as a guy I have trouble seeing things from a woman's point of view. I know shocking but true. What do all of you think.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/18/1978

It is acceptable for obvious reasons.  Men do not have breast.  The question is.... Can a topless man cause a woman to lust?  If the answer is "yes" then men should wear modest apparel.  As Christians, we are not to be stumbling blocks.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2

It is acceptable for obvious reasons.  Men do not have breast.  The question is.... Can a topless man cause a woman to lust?  If the answer is "yes" then men should wear modest apparel.  As Christians, we are not to be stumbling blocks.

I do agree with your reason, it is very obvious why there is a difference.  A man's chest is not seen as sexual, a woman's is.  This is evident by the majority of magazine covers on display at the super market.  As to the other point, a sharply, well dressed man can cause a woman to lust.   A man in a pair of blue jeans, cowboy boots and a t-shirt could cause a woman to lust. The way I view it lust has little to do with there person that is the object of the lust but much more about the one doing the lusting. 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Gen 2:25 And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.

Gen 3:7 Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked. And they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loincloths. 

From Gods point of view, there is nothing to be ashamed of in respect of an uncovered female breast.

But then we are now sinners, and He is not.

... I was curious as to what other believers think about this issue.

Is it the same thing for a man and a women to both be topless in public?

I always thought they were different, because to me a woman's chest is sexual and a man's is not. My friend pointed out the opposite is true for her. That thought had honestly never occurred to me. That a man topless could be a true temptation to a woman. I mean forgive me here, but as a guy I have trouble seeing things from a woman's point of view. I know shocking but true. What do all of you think.

~

This Really Belongs In The Man Thread Where The Brother's Can Council

And Where The Ladies And The Children Reading Worthy

Are Left In Peace

IMO

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

So let me see if I understand this.

A man's publicly displayed nude chest ( which some to most women would see as a sexual thing ) is ok to display publicly, but a woman's nude chest displayed publicly ( which some to most men would see as a sexual thing ) is wrong. How is that not hypocritical? What am I missing. Why does the Christian community say nothing to guys how would take their shirts off and go topless on a hot day, but would vilify a woman for doing the same thing?

What am I missing???

I tend to agree with the majority opinion here.  To me, there is a great deal of difference.  As far as the North Carolina law goes, the only thing I would be concerned about with the proposed legislation regards a woman's ability to breast feed her baby in public.  I haven't noticed a huge problem of women going without a top in my state, so we probably don't need the new law, but to claim there is no difference between a man going topless and a woman going topless to me is absurd.  That's just me though.  If you feel they are both the same, so be it. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

I tend to agree with the majority opinion here.  To me, there is a great deal of difference.  As far as the North Carolina law goes, the only thing I would be concerned about with the proposed legislation regards a woman's ability to breast feed her baby in public.  I haven't noticed a huge problem of women going without a top in my state, so we probably don't need the new law, but to claim there is no difference between a man going topless and a woman going topless to me is absurd.  That's just me though.  If you feel they are both the same, so be it. 

In different societies and cultures, the view varies. There are cultures where women do go topless, and no one thinks anything of it. So, the view definitely differs based on culture.  

Given the culture in the U.S., women going topless would cause issues as people are not accustomed to that and womens breasts are viewed by many in a sensual way. It would be a big problem, for men and women.   

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

It is one of those double standards.Often you see men with their top off on a very hot day.Well..... I do not think it would be appropriate to see a woman with her top off on a very hot day.I do not see a mans bare chest as a sexual thing at all.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  358
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

I believe another question that would go hand in hand with this is:  can a women rape a man>???? regardless of what someone would say, I believe that a woman walking around topless would be opening herself to all kind of sexual advancements.  it would be to me like all the people with tattoos and body piercings( not saying there's anything wrong with them) But, then when you stare at them, it's like what are you staring at, well didn't you do all that to get noticed. so If a lady wanted to get noticed by exposing her breast would she take offense if someone stared at her?? and then of course we may have to fall back under the laws of the land on this One. is it ok for a man to get aroused when they see a topless woman, it is natural with our sin nature. but is it wrong for a woman to get aroused when seeing a topless male with all His abs and muscles showing?