• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  102
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/28/1952

I read a devotional this a.m. and had a question, although I've read this story many times, this is the first time the question came to mind.

The woman asked Jesus if He was greater then their father Jacob.  I know Jacob met Rachel near the well, if I remember right.  Was Rachel a Samaritan, or did the people of that area just come to be Samaritans over the years?  If so, then why does the Samaritan woman call Jacob father?  Because it was his land before? 

Any input welcome:)  Thanks all, and God bless your day:)

Edited by celebratejesus

Jacob was Israel.  That is why she asked the question, not because of Rachel.  The Samaritans were outcasts because they were a group that didn't have a pure blood line.  They had intermarried with gentiles.  The Jews wouldn't have any dealings with the Samaritans.  If you go back to Genesis, you can see what I am talking about.  Jacob's name was changed to Israel in Genesis 32:28.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

The term 'Samaritan' did not come to be used until after the kingdom of Israel was divided, long after Rachel and Jacob, so Rachel was not a Samaritan. As Butero mentioned, the Samaritans were children of Israel from the tribes of Ephraim and Manassas who had intermarried with some Gentiles, and had developed differences in the way they worshipped and particularly that they built a second Temple on Mt. Geziron, rather then the place of Gods choosing in Jerusalem.

In Jewish literature, the Samaritans are looked down on because of their use of sacrifices in mountains (Geziron), and there have been debates as to whether their intermarriage continues the ethnic line or are they now, no longer to be considered Jewish. Of course, they do claim Jacob as a fore-father.   

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  236
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/29/1971

Well I think she asked the question because they were literally at Jacob's well.  If you think about the situation, she had a landmark right there.  She could have easily said Moses, David, or another man of God. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  358
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

the Samaritans once took over the Jewish temple, and they sacrificed pigs on the altar of the Jewish temple.

Ancestrally, Samaritans claim descent from the Israelite tribes of Ephraim and Manasseh (the two sons of Joseph (son of Jacob)) as well as from the priestly tribe of Levi,[4] who have links to ancient Samaria from the period of their entry into the land of Canaan, while some suggest that it was from the beginning of the Babylonian Exile up to the Samaritan polity of Baba Rabba. Samaritans used to include a line of Benjamin tribe, but it went extinct during the decline period of the Samaritan demographics. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Samaritan)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Well I think she asked the question because they were literally at Jacob's well.  If you think about the situation, she had a landmark right there.  She could have easily said Moses, David, or another man of God. 

That is an interesting answer.

I always viewed her statement about father Jacob as being a claim to being 'Jewish' in a time when the 'Jewishness' of Samaritans was in question. Jesus being Jewish and from the tribe of Judah might have viewed a Samaritan as questionable, so she was fishing to find out how Jesus saw her since He was dressed like a Jew. She was surprised that He was talking to her.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

I read a devotional this a.m. and had a question, although I've read this story many times, this is the first time the question came to mind.

The woman asked Jesus if He was greater then their father Jacob.  I know Jacob met Rachel near the well, if I remember right.  Was Rachel a Samaritan, or did the people of that area just come to be Samaritans over the years?  If so, then why does the Samaritan woman call Jacob father?  Because it was his land before? 

Any input welcome:)  Thanks all, and God bless your day:)

I remember wondering this very same thing.  I came to the conclusion in my study that Jacob was indeed NOT her father (bloodline) but her father spiritually just as Abraham is the father of all who are saved through faith (Romans 4).

I did hit the button to "follow" this but I have no alerts.  I am sorry I didn't know I had responses.  I will read each and get back to you all!! Thank you so much, and God bless your day!!

Jacob was Israel.  That is why she asked the question, not because of Rachel.  The Samaritans were outcasts because they were a group that didn't have a pure blood line.  They had intermarried with gentiles.  The Jews wouldn't have any dealings with the Samaritans.  If you go back to Genesis, you can see what I am talking about.  Jacob's name was changed to Israel in Genesis 32:28.

Yes, I remember his name being changed, it was right after the wrestling all night with God right. I knew that they were on the outs, the Samaritan and the Jews.  Thank you much for your input Butero!! 

The term 'Samaritan' did not come to be used until after the kingdom of Israel was divided, long after Rachel and Jacob, so Rachel was not a Samaritan. As Butero mentioned, the Samaritans were children of Israel from the tribes of Ephraim and Manassas who had intermarried with some Gentiles, and had developed differences in the way they worshipped and particularly that they built a second Temple on Mt. Geziron, rather then the place of Gods choosing in Jerusalem.

In Jewish literature, the Samaritans are looked down on because of their use of sacrifices in mountains (Geziron), and there have been debates as to whether their intermarriage continues the ethnic line or are they now, no longer to be considered Jewish. Of course, they do claim Jacob as a fore-father.   

Thanks so much, this was a good read as well.  The OT is full of answers, but I have to read it more then once, twice, well, I need to read it every day:)