GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

There should be a number 11:  Paper checks (cheques).  Does anybody still use them to pay bills?  We just abolished the check in our businesses (payroll) in favor of direct deposit.  The last check I wrote for personal reasons was in 2000, I think it was.

I still pay all my bills by check.I do not pay my bills on-line.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The main problem with movie theaters - not including the price of refreshments - is the lack of innovation.

Sure, they've been working on improving sound technology and the 3-D experience, but in the grand scheme of things, that isn't much innovation compared to other technological innovations that have occurred.

Some companies, like Muvico, have made efforts to attract customers by theming their cinemas - i.e. decorating the place to mimic ancient Egypt.

I recently read an article about one decaying theater that brought back customers via renovation and making a community center out of it, not just a placed to show movies.

So, I think the movie theaters can save themselves from obsoletion if they "upgrade" themselves with innovation and relevance.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

To be honest, I have mused more than once over the that movie theatres (# 5) are still alive and kicking.  Between rentals and now Netflix and the astronomical cost of a ticket and snacks, I would have expected theatres to have gone the way of the old drive In theatres.

There's a theater by our house that has matinee movies for $3. Regular price is $3.25. We find that very reasonable. :thumbsup:
They should open up one of those around here.  The matinees we have are like around $7.    We used to have a $2 movie theatre that showed movies that were about year old.  Now it is up to $5.   

I think where really they get you is at the concessions.   The last time I was at a theatre (about 6 years ago), they had a Pepse vending mahcine and were asking $2.50 for a 20 oz bottle.  I figure I can go two hours without snacks, lol.

I read an article not so long ago that believe it or not said that movie theaters make more money from the concessions than they do from ticket sales. Basically it argued take away the popcorn and coke and the theater goes bust.

I refuse to pay the extortive prices and will take my own candy in if I feel like candy. My brother orders his soda without ice. He says that half of the soda is just expensive water....

I still like the occasional movie date with the wife though......

Speaking as someone who managed a movie theater for about a year I can attest to the fact that concessions is where a majority of profit comes from in the industry. Believe it or not movie theaters only make profit on a fraction of the entrance fee.

The goal was always for at least 1/3 of guests (in the U.S. at least) to buy concessions. Below that and we had to start cutting expenses (read employees hours). If that number dropped below 15% the company would go out of business.

So basically the translation is the 1/3 of guests that buy concessions actually make the movie going experience possible for the rest of movie enthusiasts. Something to keep in perspective. :thumbsup:

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

this is neat to know....i can see landline phones disappearing, (i have both landline and cellphone). The others well, it goes with new techie stuff, always improving, always changing, nothing stays the same anymore. Communication is always a great thing!

May I ask why you have both a landline and a cellphone?

i have landline since i have long distant calling discount, cable tv, and internet, its all in a bundle bill. Then I have my cellphone separate bill.

There should be a number 11:  Paper checks (cheques).  Does anybody still use them to pay bills?  We just abolished the check in our businesses (payroll) in favor of direct deposit.  The last check I wrote for personal reasons was in 2000, I think it was.

The only time we write a check is for tithe/offerings once a month to our church. :thumbsup:

There's a theater by our house that has matinee movies for $3. Regular price is $3.25. We find that very reasonable. :thumbsup:

They should open up one of those around here.  The matinees we have are like around $7.    We used to have a $2 movie theatre that showed movies that were about year old.  Now it is up to $5.   

I think where really they get you is at the concessions.   The last time I was at a theatre (about 6 years ago), they had a Pepse vending mahcine and were asking $2.50 for a 20 oz bottle.  I figure I can go two hours without snacks, lol.

The company takes "dinner and a movie" concept to the next level. They basically take your order and serve you while you are watching the movie. They serve pizza, french fries, chicken wings, hot dogs, nachos, burgers, wraps, ice cream (Blue Bell! wohoo!), etc. They also do serve alcoholic drinks.

See: http://movietavern.com/

God bless,

GE