• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  102
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/28/1952

I read this today, and it amazes me how often I can read something, and still get something new each time.  Today I realized, in my own life, it is hard for me to say I really "want" to be healed.  I think it is scarey taking on the responsibilities of life, and also, for me, I am "tired" of the battle of everyday life.  I prefer not to get kicked in the teeth for admitting this, but that's ok too, God is at the helm of my life.

I just wonder how many others have been asked the question "do you want to be healed" and not been sure you do.  I mean after all, if you are disabled, a lot of things might come your way, care from people, provision you don't have to earn etc.  I mean I think about all this.  But also I think about Jesus saying "take up your mat and walk".  That is what got me going today. I have to try, what is left if I don't?

I'm off to church, and it's been awhile for that too, so I may not get back to anyone that replies, right away.  I do want to say this is JUST about me, I don't know other's circumstances, I just know it is a battle to keep moving ahead, especially when I am not sticking close enough to the Lord.  And to be confused as to whether or not I really want tell Him "yes Lord"  I will do as You say is scarey, especially when I say that, then I don't do it.

God bless all, Denise

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.09

Denise,

I have a disability and have experienced G-d's healing. Go figure...I mean, how weird is it to be "mostly" healed? Here's the thing: I know G-d can heal and I know He could completely heal me if He wanted to. But I have learned to be content. Life is good. G-d blesses. I no longer yearn to be healed; I know I will be made whole one day, and that's good enough for me.

Denise,

I have a disability and have experienced G-d's healing. Go figure...I mean, how weird is it to be "mostly" healed? Here's the thing: I know G-d can heal and I know He could completely heal me if He wanted to. But I have learned to be content. Life is good. G-d blesses. I no longer yearn to be healed; I know I will be made whole one day, and that's good enough for me.

That's a wonderful witness, and mostly, I wanted to tell you that what I need healing of is an attitude of fear.  I think I have been beaten down, and because I wasn't depending on God for my strength, but myself.  I understand some physical disabilities as well, I have some.  Like you, I feel they have actually been used by God to make me lean on Him more, not myself.  It's funny since church was all about how God does the establishing of our faith, and then He also supplies our strength. 

God bless your day, a sister in Christ, Denise

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

what I need healing of is an attitude of fear.

Fear, yes, that is a hard one to let go of. Sigh.

I have come to learn that the cure for fear is not "faith," but love. ("Perfect love casts out fear....")

Fear is the outcome of not feeling (experiential, belief-feeling) secure in/about God's love.

Now, how to get oneself to feeling secure in/about God's love - I haven't figured that part out yet. :sad030:

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.09

Denise,

That's a wonderful witness, and mostly, I wanted to tell you that what I need healing of is an attitude of fear.  I think I have been beaten down, and because I wasn't depending on God for my strength, but myself.  I understand some physical disabilities as well, I have some.  Like you, I feel they have actually been used by God to make me lean on Him more, not myself.  It's funny since church was all about how God does the establishing of our faith, and then He also supplies our strength. 

Gotcha! Fear can be crippling. It's a good thing to learn...dependence on G-d. It's a good way to live.

Denise,

Gotcha! Fear can be crippling. It's a good thing to learn...dependence on G-d. It's a good way to live.

I forgot about that verse, thank you Marnie!  That is the one I needed to hear.  Yes, I would like to get to a point where I could honestly say that I was 100% secure in God's love, it's like I know it with my head, but the rest of me is still sweatin it at times:)  Thanks again, and God bless your evening, Denise, ysic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

One time many years ago I was having a bad asthma attack and great difficulty breathing. As I prayed, God spoke to me in that still small voice. What are you afraid of, dying? That is like falling backwards into Daddy God's arms! Now when I was very young, my daddy would have me fall backwards and l learned to trust that he was always there to catch me. How much more our loving Daddy in heaven will be there to catch us, and suddenly that warm feeling swept over me. The fear was gone.

One time many years ago I was having a bad asthma attack and great difficulty breathing. As I prayed, God spoke to me in that still small voice. What are you afraid of, dying? That is like falling backwards into Daddy God's arms! Now when I was very young, my daddy would have me fall backwards and l learned to trust that he was always there to catch me. How much more our loving Daddy in heaven will be there to catch us, and suddenly that warm feeling swept over me. The fear was gone.

Thank you Willamina, I suppose I can depend on Him no matter how old I get.  That is one of my biggest fears right now, so many things I can't do now, that I could do just a few years ago.  Well, like I heard at church today, again, was that God establishes our faith, and then He also is our strength.  There wasn't anything in there about age, or He'll stop being the God He is when I am older.  In fact all I am reading and hearing as to do with total dependence on Him is the what He wants:)  So boy am I headed in that direction, letting go a little more each day:)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Many of us are going through this. The amplified version concurs with Kenneth Wuest's Expanded Version of Hebrews 13:5-6

Let your manner of life be without love of money, being content with your present circumstances. For He Himself has said, and the statement is on record, I will not, I will not cease to sustain and uphold you. I will not, I will not, I will not let you down. So that, being of good courage, we are saying, The Lord is my Helper. I will not fear. What shall man do to me?

And I am leaning heavily on the above promise because I am terrified of dentists. And since I broke my molar yesterday and a large filling fell out, I have mixed feelings about going to the dentist tomarrow. Maybe he will fix it with a temp, but I will certainly need a crown. Right now it is hard to eat and the tooth is very sharp. I stuffed wax into it, Oh, well. This too shall pass.

I do identify with your grief of loss of function. We used to enjoy birdwatching and traveling in WA and OR. But we have been able to do very little in the last 3 years either. Often I miss church, too, and as my favorite psalm expresses, I love praising God in the assembly. It is even grievous to be unable to do so. The inversion caused me to lose my voice. Some gravely squeeky sounds have come back since the wind has come through.

I guess we need to rejoice in what we are able to do. I can still: use my fingers to post, walk into church without help, praise God in my heart. I can hear fairly well, drive, see better after catarac removal, breath with the help of medication, and manage pain with meds. God has been faithful to His word. I can still enjoy the photos that hubby took in the past. God has answered so many prayers: saved hubby and our sons, their wives and most of our grand kids (but I continue to pray for them to make strong commitments to Him). How dare I be afraid with such a faithful and loving Father at hand?

• Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you Denise for your topic.

The pool of Bethesda.

Whenever I read Scripture I am always keen to ask questions, for example lets have a look two separate accounts of Divine healing as given at,

Mat 12:22 Then one was brought to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him, so that the blind and mute man both spoke and saw.

And compare this with,

Jhn 5:1 After this there was a feast of the Jews, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
Jhn 5:2 Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, in Aramaic called Bethesda, which has five roofed colonnades.
Jhn 5:3 In these lay a multitude of invalids—blind, lame, and paralyzed.
Jhn 5:5 One man was there who had been an invalid for thirty-eight years.
Jhn 5:6 When Jesus saw him lying there and knew that he had already been there a long time, he said to him, “Do you want to be healed?”
Jhn 5:7 The sick man answered him, “Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up, and while I am going another steps down before me.”
Jhn 5:8 Jesus said to him, “Get up, take up your bed, and walk.”
Jhn 5:9 And at once the man was healed, and he took up his bed and walked.Now that day was the Sabbath.
Jhn 5:10 So the Jews said to the man who had been healed, “It is the Sabbath, and it is not lawful for you to take up your bed.”
Jhn 5:11 But he answered them, “The man who healed me, that man said to me, ‘Take up your bed, and walk.’”
Jhn 5:12 They asked him, “Who is the man who said to you, ‘Take up your bed and walk’?”
Jhn 5:13 Now the man who had been healed did not know who it was, for Jesus had withdrawn, as there was a crowd in the place
Jhn 5:14 Afterward Jesus found him in the temple and said to him, “See, you are well! Sin no more, that nothing worse may happen to you.”

1. Why is it that in the first example it only requires 1 verse, whereas in the second example requires 14 verses ?

2. Why is it that in the second example, we are given a detailed description of the location ?

3. Why does verse 5 mention 38 years ?

4. Why is this further confirmed by Jesus in verse 6 when we are told that He says, “and knew that he had already been there a long time” ?

5. Why did Jesus ask, "Do you want to be healed?", when it is quite obvious why the invalid was there, ...

6. Why did the invalid not say yes ?

7. Can any significance be attached to our Lord’s words at verse 8 ?

8. Why did Jesus withdraw, and therefore have to find him in another location, when He could have said, “See, you are well! Sin no more, that nothing worse may happen to

you.” when He had the invalids attention at the pool ?

9. What is the sin to which Jesus refers in verse 14, and what could be the something worse that may happen ?

I look forward to reading what you have to say.

Thank you.

Edwin.
Edited by paredwin