• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

The Emmaus road incident.

Some while ago, a young lady called Michelle asked me a question.

My reply follows.

Michelle.

You said,

"You made me think there, but then having walked several miles with the risen Jesus, would they not have noticed the nail wounds before the evening meal?"

Not necessarily, in my opinion.

"Also this verse Luke 24:16 'but their eyes were prevented from recognising him."

This could indeed be what Mark was inspired to say at,

Mar 16:12 After that, He appeared in another form to two of them as they walked and went into the country.

"I am not sure it was anything to do with the nail marks as they are not mentioned, but I cannot be sure. As soon as the two recognise Him in the blessing, breaking and giving of the bread, Jesus 'vanished from their sight. This indicates to me that the significant factors of recognition here are the actions involving the bread. Why vanish?"

So that they would do what Mark says in his next verse,

Mar 16:13 And they went and told it to the rest, but they did not believe them either.

As also indicated by Luke as he continues at,

Luk 24:33 And they rose that same hour and returned to Jerusalem. And they found the eleven and those who were with them gathered together, 

Luk 24:34 saying, "The Lord has risen indeed, and has appeared to Simon!" 

Luk 24:35 Then they told what had happened on the road, and how he was known to them in the breaking of the bread. 

Luk 24:36 As they were talking about these things, Jesus himself stood among them, and said to them, "Peace to you!" 

Luk 24:37 But the whole group was startled and frightened, thinking they were seeing a ghost!

Luk 24:38 And he said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? 

Luk 24:39 See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me, and see. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have." 

Luk 24:40 And when he had said this, he showed them his hands and his feet. 

And confirmed by Jesus at,

Mar 16:14 Later He appeared to the eleven as they sat at the table; and He rebuked their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they did not believe those who had seen Him after He had risen. 

The two on the Emmaus road were not the only individuals who did not recognise Jesus in His resurrection body

Jhn 20:14 Now when she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus.

Jhn 20:15 Jesus said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?" She, supposing Him to be the gardener, said to Him, "Sir, if You have carried Him away, tell me where You have laid Him, and I will take Him away."

Jhn 20:16 Jesus said to her, "Mary!" She turned and said to Him, "Rabboni!" (which is to say, Teacher).

Every blessing.

Edwin.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

My further thoughts as based on,

Luk 24:28 So they drew near to the village to which they were going. He acted as if he were going farther,

Luk 24:29 but they urged him strongly, saying, "Stay with us, for it is toward evening and the day is now far spent." So he went in to stay with them.

Luk 24:30 When he was at table with them, he took the bread and blessed and broke it and gave it to them.

Luk 24:31 And their eyes were opened, and they recognized him. And he vanished from their sight.

As an invited guest, according to Jewish tradition Jesus the visitor would be asked to take the bread, bless and brake it, which He did.

In all probability, they would both be looking at His hands whilst He broke the bread, and notice that both of them had nail prints through them. Only then did they recognise who their guest was, and then He vanished.

Bless you.

Edwin.

Edited by paredwin