AlanLamb0986

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Soul sleep- the idea that all those who die sleep until the time of Judgment, when we will be awakened and sent to our eternal destinations. These are copy and paste articles from carm.org and gotquestions.org, but I don't think I believe in this doctrine. 

“Soul sleep” is a belief that after a person dies, his/her soul “sleeps” until the resurrection and final judgment. The concept of “soul sleep” is not biblical. When the Bible describes a person “sleeping” in relation to death (Luke 8:52;1 Corinthians 15:6), it does not mean literal sleep. Sleeping is just a way to describe death because a dead body appears to be asleep. The moment we die, we face the judgment of God (Hebrews 9:27). For believers, to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:6-8;Philippians 1:23). For unbelievers, death means everlasting punishment in hell (Luke 16:22-23).

Until the final resurrection, though, there is a temporary heaven—paradise (Luke 23:43;2 Corinthians 12:4) and a temporary hell—Hades (Revelation 1:18;20:13-14). As can be clearly seen inLuke 16:19-31, neither in paradise nor in Hades are people sleeping. It could be said, though, that a person’s body is “sleeping” while his soul is in paradise or Hades. At the resurrection, this body is “awakened” and transformed into the everlasting body a person will possess for eternity, whether in heaven or hell. Those who were in paradise will be sent to the new heavens and new earth (Revelation 21:1). Those who were in Hades will be thrown into the lake of fire (Revelation 20:11-15). These are the final, eternal destinations of all people—based entirely on whether or not a person trusted in Jesus Christ for salvation.

Soul sleep is the teaching that when a person dies, his soul "sleeps" until the time of the future resurrection.  In this condition, the person is not aware or conscious.  The Jehovah's Witnesses and the Seventh-day Adventists hold to this doctrine.  But the Jehovah's Witnesses teach annihilation.  This means that after death a person ceases to exist.  At the future resurrection they maintain that the soul is made again.  Basically, it is a re-creation of the individual.  The Seventh-day Adventists teach at the soul is simply inert and resides in the memory of God.

The primary verses used to support soul sleep are found in Ecclesiastes:

• Eccl. 9:5,  For the living know they will die; but the dead do not know anything, nor have they any longer a reward, for their memory is forgotten."
  • Eccl. 12:7,  "then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it."

Ecclesiastes must be understood in the context of its own commentary, which says at the opening of the book, "The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem. 2 “Vanity of vanities,” says the Preacher, “Vanity of vanities! All is vanity.” 3 What advantage does man have in all his work which he does under the sun?" (Eccl. 1:1-3).  The writer is telling us how things are from the human perspective, from "under the sun."  He is not telling us doctrinal statements about whether or not the soul continues after death.  Besides, it's a mistake to use the Old Testament to interpret the New Testament.  It is the New Testament that sheds light on the Old Testament.
In the New Testament we see Paul say in 2 Cor. 5:8, "we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord."  Paul is clearly telling us that when he dies, he will go and be with the Lord.  Furthermore, at the Transfiguration of Jesus (Matt. 17:1-8) we see Moses and Elijah who were alive.  There was no soul sleep with them.
Therefore, the doctrine of soul sleep is incorrect.  The soul continues on after death.  The wicked face the judgment of God, and the Christians will dwell in His presence.
Both groups are in error about soul sleep.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Eveyone!

Welcome to Worthy Alan.....to be honest I think I have a little different take on this subject-LOL   I have read dozens of verses of Scripture that say clearly the dead,know not.......but then there are other Scriptures to imply that when a person dies they are in the Lords presence....honestly,I believe that because God & the Heavenlies are not bound by space or time that this is why we have difficulty in really understanding clearly what happens at the time our bodies die.....

So I do believe both & see no contradiction ,if you know what I mean?As Jesus said we cannot even understand the things of this world how could we possibly understand Heavenly things?

This used to drive me crazy about 30 yrs ago but it long since has not because I find peace in knowing that whether I sleep for a little while or not it really will not matter because I will awaken into the Presence of my Beloved Lord & Savior Christ Jesus!Praise & Glory to God!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Blessings Eveyone!

Welcome to Worthy Alan.....to be honest I think I have a little different take on this subject-LOL   I have read dozens of verses of Scripture that say clearly the dead,know not.......but then there are other Scriptures to imply that when a person dies they are in the Lords presence....honestly,I believe that because God & the Heavenlies are not bound by space or time that this is why we have difficulty in really understanding clearly what happens at the time our bodies die.....

So I do believe both & see no contradiction ,if you know what I mean?As Jesus said we cannot even understand the things of this world how could we possibly understand Heavenly things?

This used to drive me crazy about 30 yrs ago but it long since has not because I find peace in knowing that whether I sleep for a little while or not it really will not matter because I will awaken into the Presence of my Beloved Lord & Savior Christ Jesus!Praise & Glory to God!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

Wow, I've never thought about the possibility that it may be both correct and incorrect based purely on our concept of linear time. That's a cool answer :) And you said that it wouldn't matter if you slept for a little while, or went immediately to Heaven, but technically you'd go immediately to Heaven either way- at least from your perspective. If you aren't conscious during soul sleep, you have no concept of time. So between death and the Resurrection it would appear that no time had passed at all ;) 

Blessings Alan

I see you do see what I mean!   Exactly,Amen..........God is awesome,all the Glory to Him!

With much love-Kwik

Blessings Alan

Also,since you are so lovely to reason together with I thought I would share this revelation I had many years ago....which was also such a blessing ,giving much comfort & peace on this matter,And I have gotten much flack from "Bible Police" but I do not seek their approval anyway,just love them & pray for them

As I said,this used to drive me nuts 30 some odd years ago & I was studying some Greek text,which has no punctuation marks....and I came upon  .....".I tell you,this day you will be with me in paradise" & then I was shown"I tell you this day,you will be with me in paradise"....You see?LOL   God is amazing!And whenever anyone gets ruffled by this I just say they will have to take it up with the many scribes & translators of King James....not me!

God bless you,soon we will no longer know in part.......Halleluliah!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

I have read dozens of verses of Scripture that say clearly the dead,know not.......but then there are other Scriptures to imply that when a person dies they are in the Lords presence..

What scriptures are you referring too (dozens), in regards to soul sleep. We need not take scripture out of context. Blessings.

Blessings DRS

Here we go again....here is a few:   Eccl 9:5,1Thess 4:14,Psalms 115:17,Psalms 104:29,Psalms 39:13,Job 14:2,Job 7:21,Isaiah 38:18,Acts 13:36,John 11:11,Daniel 12:2

As I said,the Scriptures imply both and this has been discussed many times before.....I only replied this time because I did like Brother Alans OP..................God bless you,there are many other Scriptures that refer to "death".....a good study Bible will give you many more.......

With love-Kwik

Soul

We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. 2 Corinthians 5:8

And

For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me. Job 19:25-27

Body

For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 1 Thessalonians 4:14-17

Soul

And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him. Jude 1:14-15

And

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. Revelation 19:11-14

Body

And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. Revelation 20:4-5

Blessings DRS

Here we go again....here is a few:   Eccl 9:5,1Thess 4:14,Psalms 115:17,Psalms 104:29,Psalms 39:13,Job 14:2,Job 7:21,Isaiah 38:18,Acts 13:36,John 11:11,Daniel 12:2

As I said,the Scriptures imply both and this has been discussed many times before.....I only replied this time because I did like Brother Alans OP..................God bless you,there are many other Scriptures that refer to "death".....a good study Bible will give you many more.......

With love-Kwik

1. Eccl 9:5 is talking about nonbelievers (the dead know nothing)

2. 1 Thess 4:14 is not talking about souls of believers in the grave. these, both their souls and bodies, are united to Christ, and are his care and charge; and which union remains in death, and by virtue of it the bodies of the saints will be raised at the last day: so that there may be the strongest assurance, that such will God bring with him; either God the Father will bring them with his Son, or Jehovah the Son will bring them with himself; he will raise them from the dead, and unite them to their souls, or spirits, he will bring with him; http://biblehub.com/1_thessalonians/4-14.htm

3. Psalms 115:17 is not talking about soul sleep. The souls of departed saints can and do praise the Lord: these die not with their bodies, nor sleep in the grave; they go immediately to God and Christ, and are employed in the service of God continually; particularly in praising him, as do the angels with whom they join; they sing the song of Moses and of the Lamb, of providence and grace; especially the song of redeeming love, with which they always praise the Lord: but they cannot praise him with their bodily organs until the resurrection, which by death are rendered useless; they can praise him no more among men on earth, as they have before done; there is no work of this kind in the grave. http://biblehub.com/psalms/115-17.htm 

4. Psalms 39:13 is not talking about soul sleep. It's just simply saying if you're not here, you're there. And be no more; that is, among men in the land of the living; not but that he believed he should exist after death, and should be somewhere, even in heaven, though he should return no more to the place where he was; http://biblehub.com/psalms/39-13.htm 

5. Job 14:2 is simply talking about how the body withers and decays because we live in a fallen world. It has nothing to do with soul sleep.

6. Job 7:21 is simply talking about the condition of sin more so than where the soul goes after death.

7. Isaiah 38:18 is not talking about soul sleep. For the grave cannot praise thee, death can not celebrate thee,.... That is, they that are in the grave, and under the power of death, they cannot celebrate the praises of God with their bodily organs; their souls may praise him in heaven, but they in their bodies cannot till the resurrection morn, or as long as they are under the dominion of the grave; http://biblehub.com/isaiah/38-18.htm 

8. Acts 13:36 is not talking about soul sleep. It is a long sleep; David has been many hundred years, even thousands, in it; and there will be no awaking out of it till Christ comes again: but this is to be understood of the body only, which only is capable of sleeping the sleep of death, and not of the soul, which dies not with the body, nor continues with it in the grave in a state of insensibility and inactivity, but immediately returns to God. http://biblehub.com/acts/13-36.htm 

9. John 11:11 is simply referring to what the rest of these scriptures are saying. When the Bible mentions sleep, it doesn't refer to the soul.

10. Daniel 12:2 is not talking about soul sleep. some to everlasting life; to the enjoyment of everlasting life and happiness with Christ in the world to come; a phrase often used in the New Testament, though never before in the Old; expressive of that felicity and bliss which the saints enjoy in heaven after this life is over, first in the separate state of the soul, and then, at the resurrection, in soul and body, http://biblehub.com/daniel/12-2.htm

Delight in the truth and sing his praises. This is good news for us. - DRS81 :mgcheerful: