• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  102
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/28/1952

I read this today, and I didn't notice (or take to heart) what it said until today:

John 6:49-50

49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die.

I tried to find an answer through my commentary, but couldn't, specifically on this verse, so thought I would get some thoughts here.  I knew from the OT that there were those who were not allowed into the promised land, including Moses.  I do however believe that Moses did not die, for eternity because He was on the Mount of transfiguration.  But the verses above, and this is only what I am getting from them, is that these ancestors/fathers are dead.  I think it means for eternity, but not sure.

I just always thought, even though they screwed up royally, over and over, they would still be able to have eternal life.  I am a bit confused, which oh no, every time I say that someone will say confusion is of the devil.  Which I don't think it is always from him.  What I think never gets me far though :noidea:

Appreciate any feedback, denise, your sister in Christ (ysic)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

The Bible does not discuss what manna was made of.All we are told is that "it was like coriander seed,white,and the taste of it was like wafers made with honey" Exodus 16:31. More important than the physical qualities is what foreshadowed.Manna is a type,or foreshadowing,of Jesus.Jesus tried to get attention off the physical bread and onto the true "bread of life".Sadly,the people could not get their minds off the physical bread long enough to understand the spiritual truth Jesus was declaring John 6:36-59.

:th_wave: Hi sister how are you doing?

The Bible does not discuss what manna was made of.All we are told is that "it was like coriander seed,white,and the taste of it was like wafers made with honey" Exodus 16:31. More important than the physical qualities is what foreshadowed.Manna is a type,or foreshadowing,of Jesus.Jesus tried to get attention off the physical bread and onto the true "bread of life".Sadly,the people could not get their minds off the physical bread long enough to understand the spiritual truth Jesus was declaring John 6:36-59.

:th_wave: Hi sister how are you doing?

Thanks for this bopeep, I am doing ok today;) Did a couple of "have to" errands, now back home.  What I am wondering is why Jesus says those folks died, didn't any go to heaven?  I knew they didn't get to see the promised land but I thought they went to heaven.  I do understand after Jesus came, the He became the only Way to God.  I hope the first part/question makes sense.  I just always thought the people God brought out of Egypt were bound for heaven, even though they were imperfect. :help:

ttys, denise, your sister in Christ

The only thing that I can think of is that they were only concerned about getting their stomaches filled on the manna and were focused on God, then not believers. :noidea: Just like many on this earth.They are so consumed with themselves they do not have any regard for Christ.

I think you are probably right bopeep, I remember that whole journey, and they were not very faithful at all.  And about them just wanting their own needs, yes, it does seem they were just in it for what they could get, even with all God did like the Red Sea (saving them from Pharoah's army etc.)  I really don't know why I assumed they would end up in heaven.

Thank you sis for helping me out, pretty quiet today, and looking forward to church in the a.m.  God bless you, your sister in Christ, Denise:)

I think you are probably right bopeep, I remember that whole journey, and they were not very faithful at all.  And about them just wanting their own needs, yes, it does seem they were just in it for what they could get, even with all God did like the Red Sea (saving them from Pharoah's army etc.)  I really don't know why I assumed they would end up in heaven.

Thank you sis for helping me out, pretty quiet today, and looking forward to church in the a.m.  God bless you, your sister in Christ, Denise:)

Just think of all the people in our world now that reject God.He loves them but they reject Him.I am thinking that makes Him pretty sad.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

The only thing that I can think of is that they were only concerned about getting their stomaches filled on the manna and were focused on God, then not believers. :noidea: Just like many on this earth.They are so consumed with themselves they do not have any regard for Christ.

I agree and they came back to Jesus as a meal ticket, to be fed in the Now, and not listening to Him regarding as to the bread of life.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

I read this today, and I didn't notice (or take to heart) what it said until today:

49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die.

I tried to find an answer through my commentary, but couldn't, specifically on this verse, so thought I would get some thoughts here.  I knew from the OT that there were those who were not allowed into the promised land, including Moses.  I do however believe that Moses did not die, for eternity because He was on the Mount of transfiguration.  But the verses above, and this is only what I am getting from them, is that these ancestors/fathers are dead.  I think it means for eternity, but not sure.

I just always thought, even though they screwed up royally, over and over, they would still be able to have eternal life.  I am a bit confused, which oh no, every time I say that someone will say confusion is of the devil.  Which I don't think it is always from him.  What I think never gets me far though :noidea:

I would like to add to this, sorry it appears the bold type is stuck in the on position even though looking at the icon it should not be bold type.

Remember Jesus was speaking to the Jews that believed in God as the Creator not Jesus Christ as the Creator/Savior. And this is what those verses are about; verse 48 and 51 he is telling them to start focus on him as God had given Jesus all of creation and we must accept Jesus Christ as the bread of life (the only way into Heaven).

Prior to Jesus last 3&1/2 years on earth everything the Jews knew was God was the Creator and God would send Immanuel whom they waited on. However they could not understand or accept Jesus as that Savior because they knew him as the kid next door that grew up in there town or close by. Remember many thought his casting out demons was of the devil not of God. Also at the time of these verses they could not comprehend their Savior being born in a manger and growing up down the street from them. I think the Jews  expected the coming of Immanuel to be similar to Rev. 1:7 rather than how God chose his coming to earth. Also  prior to Jesus being crucified (as theses verses are)  verse 49 refers to the fact that the ones who came out of Egypt had not ascended to Heaven that is why he refers to them as they are dead. ( they ascended into Heaven

after Jesus was crucified. Ok I think I got this right someone can correct me if need be.

I would like to add to this, sorry it appears the bold type is stuck in the on position even though looking at the icon it should not be bold type.

Remember Jesus was speaking to the Jews that believed in God as the Creator not Jesus Christ as the Creator/Savior. And this is what those verses are about; verse 48 and 51 he is telling them to start focus on him as God had given Jesus all of creation and we must accept Jesus Christ as the bread of life (the only way into Heaven).

Prior to Jesus last 3&1/2 years on earth everything the Jews knew was God was the Creator and God would send Immanuel whom they waited on. However they could not understand or accept Jesus as that Savior because they knew him as the kid next door that grew up in there town or close by. Remember many thought his casting out demons was of the devil not of God. Also at the time of these verses they could not comprehend their Savior being born in a manger and growing up down the street from them. I think the Jews  expected the coming of Immanuel to be similar to Rev. 1:7 rather than how God chose his coming to earth. Also  prior to Jesus being crucified (as theses verses are)  verse 49 refers to the fact that the ones who came out of Egypt had not ascended to Heaven that is why he refers to them as they are dead. ( they ascended into Heaven

after Jesus was crucified. Ok I think I got this right someone can correct me if need be.

Thank you much for posting to this topic though, as I am still researching by way of a few, different commentaries.  I don't know of anyplace where it says (in the bible) about them ascending after Jesus was crucified though.  I did read a commentary yesterday, by David Guzik, and his said something to the effect of what has been mentioned here, they died because they did not obey.  I'll just paste in what Guzik said, I'm not saying I agree, this is just another person's take on the passages:

Commentary by Calvin: John 6:49 Your fathers ate manna in the wilderness, and are dead. He says that the manna was a perishing food to their fathers, for it did not free them from death. It follows, therefore, that souls do not find anywhere else than in him that food by which they are fed to spiritual life. Besides, we must keep in remembrance what I formerly stated, that what is here said does not relate to the manna, so far as it was a secret figure of Christ; for in that respect Paul calls it spiritual food, (1 Corinthians 10:3.) But we have said that Christ here accommodates his discourse to the hearers, who, caring only about feeding the belly, looked for nothing higher in the manna. Justly, therefore does he declare that their fathers are dead, that is, those who in the same manner, were devoted to the belly, or, in other words, who thought of nothing higher than this world. (155) And yet he invites them to eat, when he says that he has come, that any man may eat; for this mode of expression has the same meaning as if he said, that he is ready to give himself to all, provided that they are only willing to believe. That not one of those who have once eaten Christ shall die — must be understood to mean, that the life which he bestows on us is never extinguished, as we stated under the Fifth Chapter.

I admit to not knowing a lot about Calvin, but I hear many christians say he is full of it.  I felt in my heart though that this particular comment on John 49 could be right on.

Do you have any verses on people of the OT ascending when Jesus was crucified?  I am open to it, I don't know the whole bible word for word :read: your sister in Christ, denise

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Sorry if I confused the topic. Here it is explained better.

I think this conversation (between Jesus and the non believing Jews) begins in verse 25

http://www.gotquestions.org/Old-Testament-believers.html