• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,695
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  04/11/1968

I believe the main form of evidence supporting an old earth is radiometric dating, measured ages of rock are based on very slow rates of decay measured in laboratories. The following links show that radiometric decay slows down slightly when there is more solar radiation:

Decay is affected by the sun's core:

http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/research/2010/100830FischbachJenkinsDec.html
http://arxiv.org/abs/1205.0205

Decay is affected by solar flares:
http://news.stanford...sun-082310.html

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2010/august/sun-082310.html

Decay drops in July
http://www.purdue.ed...ce-warning.html

http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2012/Q3/new-system-could-predict-solar-flares,-give-advance-warning.html

From about 200AD and earlier the earth's protective magnetic field was 1.5 times stronger than today, which would have greatly reducedsolar and cosmic radiation reaching the earth's surface.

Conclusion: If decay slows down slightly when there is a slight increase in solar radiation, its highly probable that decay was significantly faster during the time when the strength of the magnetic field caused a large decrease in solar radiation and cosmic radiation. Thus the main source of evidence for an old earth is based on a logical fallacy.

Can anyone fault this logic?

Edited by ARGOSY

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

How do you know this to be true...From about 200AD and earlier the earth's protective magnetic field was 1.5 times stronger than today

How do you know this to be true...From about 200AD and earlier the earth's protective magnetic field was 1.5 times stronger than today

11-4c71216020.jpghttp://www.academia.edu/237335/The_field_of_sherds_Reconstruction_Geomagnetic_Field_Variations_from_Peruvian_Potsherds

Page 113

It differs depending on which studies you look at. Looking backwards in time, the above graph shows the intensity rapidly increasing as we go further back in time from 250BC. It soon reached more than 1.5 times current intensity at about 100BC and was much stronger than 1.5 times at 1000BC.

I see the figure didn't come out clearly. Just click on the link and go to page 113. 

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

The earth's magnetic field is in a constant state of flux, there is always an ebb and flow. 

brunhes_geomag_intensity_big.gif

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I believe the main form of evidence supporting an old earth is radiometric dating, measured ages of rock are based on very slow rates of decay measured in laboratories.

<snip>

Thus the main source of evidence for an old earth is based on a logical fallacy.

I only have one comment. Please be careful against disproving the other side as a means of confirming your side. There is also a likelihood that both sides are in error.

I Sit On The Ring Of The Earth And Judge God

Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear: Romans 11:20

Or Do

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalms 119:11

I

That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, Ephesians 3:17

~

:thumbsup:

Why

And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 2 Timothy 3:15-17

Why Yes

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

Yes He Can

Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear. Hebrews 11:3

~

Be Blessed

Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. 1 Corinthians 12:3

Be Blessed Beloved

Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. Revelation 4:11

Love, Your Brother Joe

One Man's Testimony

http://konig.org/testimony.htm

And Yet Another Man's Joy In The Word

~

~

Did

But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 1 Corinthians 15:20-22

You Know

Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.

And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net. And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.

And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink.

When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord. Luke 5;4-8

The Proof Of Matter

O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him. Psalms 34:8

Lies In The Eye Witnesses To The Resurrection Of Christ

For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:

After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.

After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.

And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time. 1 Corinthians 15:3-8

Or If One Insists On Only What They Can Directly Observe Today (Leaves Out The TOS, Huh)

Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall the earth be made to bring forth in one day? or shall a nation be born at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children. Isaiah 66:8

Then The Bible's Prophesies

The burden of the word of the LORD for Israel, saith the LORD, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him. Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem. And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it. Zechariah 12:1-3

Is Your Ticket

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

If You Will

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

That Is

Love, Joe

~

These 10 Bible prophecies were fulfilled after 1948, when Israel became an independent country for the second time in history. These prophecies foretold of modern Israel's stunning military victories and of its transition from a desert wasteland to a prosperous nation.

1. Israel will prevail over its enemies

Bible passage: Isaiah 41:12-14

Written: perhaps between 701-681 BC

Fulfilled: late 1900s

In Isaiah 41:12-14, the prophet said God would help Israel during times of conflict with enemies (if the people have faith in God). Isaiah said this during a time when the northern kingdom of Israel had already been conquered by the Assyrian Empire. And the southern kingdom, Judah, was about to be conquered by Babylon. (The Bible explains that Israel and Judah lost their independence because so many of the residents had turned to false religions). But, since 1948 when Israel was re-established, Israel has been attacked by much-larger countries. And Israel has prevailed in each of those attacks. This prophecy has found partial fulfillment; Christian scholars believe that a time will come when all of Israel's enemies are destroyed.

Here is Isaiah 41:12-14

Though you search for your enemies, you will not find them. Those who wage war against you will be as nothing at all. For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. Do not be afraid, O worm Jacob, O little Israel, for I myself will help you," declares the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.

2. The ruins of Israel would be rebuilt

Bible passage: Amos 9:11, 13

Written: about 750 BC

In Amos 9:11, 13, the prophet said that God would restore the land of David. (King David ruled Israel from about 1010 BC to about 970 BC). The land of David - Israel - was conquered and destroyed by the Babylonians, Assyrians and Romans. The land has been in ruins for much of the past 2000 years. The Jews, who had been scattered throughout the world, began to return in large numbers during the past 100 years. Since then, they have been rebuilding many of Israel's ancient cities. Amos also said there would be continuous planting and harvesting. During the past 100 years, the Jews have been using advanced farming and irrigation techniques to turn barren land into productive farmland. Today, Israel is a source of food for many countries.

Here is Amos 9:11, 13

"In that day I will restore David's fallen tent. I will repair its broken places, restore its ruins, and build it as it used to be,'' … "The days are coming," declares the Lord, "when the reaper will be overtaken by the plowman and the planter by the one treading grapes. New wine will drip from the mountains and flow from all the hills."

3. Ezekiel prophesied prosperity for modern-day Israel

Bible passage: Ezekiel 36:11

Written: between 593-571 BC

In Ezekiel 36:11, the prophet said that there would come a time when Israel would be more prosperous than it was in the past. The Bible describes Israel as being a prosperous nation during the time of King David and King Solomon about 3000 years ago. But, Ezekiel knew a very different Israel. In Ezekiel's day (he lived about 2600 years ago), the northern kingdom of Israel already had been decimated by the Assyrians, and the southern kingdom (called Judah) was being destroyed by the Babylonians. In the centuries that followed these destructions, Jews rebuilt the city of Jerusalem, but their homeland was destroyed again, by the Romans, about 1900 years ago. Since then, a majority of Jews have lived in exile. But during the past 100 years, millions of Jews from around the world moved to Israel and they have been rebuilding the country once again. Today, Israel again is an independent nation, as it was in the days of King David, and it is one of the world's most prosperous countries. In 1999, Israel had the highest per capita Gross Domestic Product of any nearby country, even though the surrounding countries have many oil resources.

Here is Ezekiel 36:11

I will increase the number of men and animals upon you, and they will be fruitful and become numerous. I will settle people on you as in the past and will make you prosper more than before. Then you will know that I am the Lord.

4. Trees again would grow in Israel

Bible passage: Isaiah 41:18-20

In Isaiah 41:18-20, the prophet's talk of a future restoration of Israel coincides with an occurrence in modern Israel - the construction of a vast irrigation system to improve farming. The lack of available water, including rain, is one reason why Israel had been a desolate, unproductive land during much of the past 2000 years. But, during the 1900s, when many Jews returned to their ancient homeland, they built a network of irrigation systems. And during the past century, more than 200 million trees have been planted in Israel.

Here is Isaiah 41:18-20

I will make rivers flow on barren heights, and springs within the valleys. I will turn the desert into pools of water, and the parched ground into springs. I will put in the desert the cedar and the acacia, the myrtle and the olive. I will set pines in the wasteland, the fir and the cypress together, so that people may see and know, may consider and understand, that the hand of the Lord has done this, that the Holy One of Israel has created it.

5. Isaiah said Israel's fruit would fill the world

Bible passage: Isaiah 27:6

In Isaiah 27:6, the prophet said Israel would one day blossom and fill the world with fruit. This prophecy has been at least partially fulfilled, literally and symbolically. Today, the land of Israel, which had been barren for centuries, is a leading producer of agricultural products, exporting food to many countries. This prophecy also has been fulfilled symbolically with the worldwide spread of Christianity. Christianity, which began with Jesus in Israel, now has about 2 billion followers worldwide.

Here is Isaiah 27:6

In days to come Jacob will take root, Israel will bud and blossom and fill all the world with fruit.

6. Jerusalem would become the world's most important religious site

Bible passage: Micah 4:1

Written: sometime between 750-686 BC

Fulfilled: Today

In Micah 4:1, the prophet said that the Temple mount in Jerusalem would become the focal point of the world. This prophecy has not yet been fulfilled. But, it is interesting to note that Jerusalem is, and has been for centuries, the world's most important religious site. Christians and Jews regard the city as the world's most important, and Christians and Jews comprise about one-third of the world's population. No other city in the world is a religious focal point to as many people.

Here is Micah 4:1

In the last days the mountain of the Lord's temple will be established as chief among the mountains; it will be raised above the hills, and peoples will stream to it.

7. Egypt would never again rule over other nations

Bible passage: Ezekiel 29:15

Written: between 593-571 BC

Fulfilled: 1967, etc.

In Ezekiel 29:15, the prophet says that Egypt would recover from a desolation (perhaps Babylon's attack about 2600 years ago), but that it would never again rule over other nations. Up until the time of Ezekiel, Egypt had been a world power for centuries, dominating many nations, including Israel. But for most of the past 2500 years, Egypt has been controlled by foreign powers, including the Romans, Ottomans and Europeans. Today, Egypt is an independent nation again. In 1948, 1967 and 1973, Egypt tried to dominate Israel but was unsuccessful each time, despite the fact that Egypt is 10 times larger than Israel. Since the time of Ezekiel, Egypt no longer rules over other nations.

Here is Ezekiel 29:15

It will be the lowliest of kingdoms and will never again exalt itself above the other nations. I will make it so weak that it will never again rule over the nations.

8. Zechariah prophesied the Jews return to Jerusalem

Bible passage: Zechariah 8:7-8

Written: between 520 and 518 BC

Fulfilled: 1967, etc.

In Zechariah 8:7-8, the prophet said God would bring the Jews back from the east and the west to their homeland (Israel) and that they would be able to live in the city of Jerusalem again. This prophecy has been fulfilled more than once. About 2600 years ago, Babylon destroyed Jerusalem and took many Jews as captives to Babylon. But many Jews later returned from Babylon. The Jews rebuilt Jerusalem but the city was destroyed about 1900 years ago by the Romans. The Romans killed more than 1 million Jews and forced many more into exile. The Jews did not have control of Jerusalem again until 1967 when the Jews recaptured the city during the Six Day War.

Here is Zechariah 8:7-8

This is what the Lord Almighty says: "I will save my people from the countries of the east and the west. I will bring them back to live in Jerusalem; they will be my people, and I will be faithful and righteous to them as their God."

9. Israel's deserts will become like the Garden of Eden

Bible passage: Isaiah 51:3

Fulfilled: Being fulfilled now

In Isaiah 51:3, the prophet said that God will restore Israel and make it a paradise, like the garden of Eden. This foreshadows what is currently happening in Israel. The Jews have been irrigating, cultivating and reconditioning the land during much of the 1900s. Many of the country's swamps, which had been infested with malaria, have been converted into farmland. And water from the Sea of Galilee has been channeled through portions of the deserts, allowing some of the deserts to bloom. Much work remains, but parts of Israel are blooming again. Although it was described as a wasteland as recently as the late 1800s, Israel is now a food source for many countries. And at least 200 million of trees have been planted there during the past century.

Here is Isaiah 51:3

The Lord will surely comfort Zion and will look with compassion on all her ruins; he will make her deserts like Eden, her wastelands like the garden of the Lord. Joy and gladness will be found in her, thanksgiving and the sound of singing.

10. Isaiah foretold of the worldwide return of Jews to Israel

Bible passage: Isaiah 43:5-6

In Isaiah 43:5-6, the prophet Isaiah said that the Jews would return to their homeland from the east, the west, the north and the south. Isaiah lived about 2700 years ago. At that time, the Assyrians had forced many Jews in the northern kingdom of Israel into exile. Those Jews were taken to other areas in the Middle East. Then, about 1900 years ago, the Romans destroyed the city of Jerusalem and killed and exiled hundreds of thousands of Jews. Since then, the Jews have been scattered to virtually every country in the world. But, during the past century, millions of Jews have returned to Israel, from the east, the west, the north and the south.

From the east: Many Jews living in the Middle East moved to Israel by the early 1900s.

From the west: During mid-1900s, hundreds of thousands of Jews living in the West (Europe and the United States) began moving to Israel.

From the north: The former Soviet Union (Russia) is north of Israel. It refused to allow its Jewish residents to move to Israel. But, after years of pressure from other countries, Russia finally began to allow Jews to return to Israel during the 1980s. So far, hundreds of thousands of Russian Jews have moved to Israel.

From the south: Ethiopia, which is south of Israel, also refused to allow its Jews to return to Israel. But, in 1985, Israel struck a deal with Ethiopia's communist government to allow the Jews of Ethiopia to move to Israel. On the weekend of May 25, 1991, 14,500 Ethiopian Jews were airlifted to Israel.

Isaiah's prophecy was also correct in saying that the north (Russia) and the south (Ethiopia) would have to be persuaded to give up their Jews. Many countries pressured Russia for years before it began to allow its Jews to leave. And Ethiopia had to be paid a ransom to allow its Jews to leave.

Isaiah's prophecy was also correct in saying that the Jews would return "from the ends of the earth," and Isaiah said that many centuries before the Jews had been scattered to the ends of the earth. During the past 100 years, Jews living as far east as China, as far west as the West Coast of the United States, as far north as Scandinavia, and as far south as South Africa, have moved to Israel.

Here is Isaiah 43:5-6

"Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west. I will say to the north, `Give them up!' and to the south, `Do not hold them back.' Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth… http://www.therefinersfire.org/recent_prophecy.htm

Copyright ©1999-2002 George Konig and 100prophecies.org.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  6

Here is an article that helped me sort some things out. It takes on the creationist arguments and rebuts them one at a time. Answers in Genesis made a big deal about some study of rocks taken from mt St. Helens eruption in 1980 saying radio metric dating is not reliable because the testing showed these igneous rocks to be millions of years old, which they obviously couldn't be. . This articles shows why that study was flawed. Like I said, this article is very helpful. Enjoy.

http://www.sciencemeetsreligion.org/evolution/reliability.php

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

I believe the main form of evidence supporting an old earth is radiometric dating, measured ages of rock are based on very slow rates of decay measured in laboratories. The following links show that radiometric decay slows down slightly when there is more solar radiation:

Decay is affected by the sun's core:

http://www.purdue.ed...JenkinsDec.html

http://arxiv.org/abs/1205.0205

Decay is affected by solar flares:

http://news.stanford...sun-082310.html

Decay drops in July

http://www.purdue.ed...ce-warning.html

From about 200AD and earlier the earth's protective magnetic field was 1.5 times stronger than today, which would have greatly reducedsolar and cosmic radiation reaching the earth's surface.

Conclusion: If decay slows down slightly when there is a slight increase in solar radiation, its highly probable that decay was significantly faster during the time when the strength of the magnetic field caused a large decrease in solar radiation and cosmic radiation. Thus the main source of evidence for an old earth is based on a logical fallacy.

So I went ahead and read the first reference there. Here is a question for you Argosy, have you looked at the actual numbers involved? The variations in frequency of events are in terms of per year units (a hertz is oscillation per second). That means these are tiny, tiny fluctuations. Have you sat down, maybe put in the maximum oscillation, added them up for 4 or 5 billion years, to see if that would make up for a *4.5 billion year* shortfall? I say this in the spirit of non jerkiness, but it does not work.

What I think YEC sometimes don't see is the enormous chasm between 10,000 years and 4,500,000,000 years, 6 orders of magnitude. If you want to turn to scientific discovery to come up with an explanation for a difference in 6 orders of magnitude it needs to be very striking. Otherwise, things such as this do not present your position in the best light.