• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/26/1983

I realised today that I have been a Christian for 15 years… half of my lifetime! Then I started pondering on all the mistakes I have made as a Christian, how many things I regret. And I’ve narrowed it down to one main thing: for ever so many years, I was searching for my identity within a church, a denomination, a group. I think this is a very human thing to do: we want to be part of a group, have a leader, feel secure, delegate some of our personal responsibility perhaps. But it is NOT the way to go.

It led me to search tirelessly for an ideal church or denomination, even though I knew deep down such a thing did not exist, and I ended up getting embroiled in so many different churches and doctrines, as varied as Catholicism, Evangelicalism and then the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

I would encourage you all NOT to fall into this trap: DO NOT DEFINE YOURSELF as Presbyterian or Baptist or Reformed or Catholic or whatever: only as Christian, this is enough. Because we are followers of Christ, not ultimately of St Thomas of Aquinas or even Luther or Calvin, only Christ.

And the next time someone asks you what church you belong to or which denomination you are, before you answer, be aware of the motive behind their question. It is my belief that people generally ask this question in order to judge or form an opinion of you, according to their prejudices. All I answer now is “Christian”, nothing more, even if they press me. If I were to expand I would perhaps add that my desire is to follow Biblical, primitive Christianity, following Christ as He leads me.

Edited by vengaturreino

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I realised today that I have been a Christian for 15 years… half of my lifetime! Then I started pondering on all the mistakes I have made as a Christian, how many things I regret. And I’ve narrowed it down to one main thing: for ever so many years, I was searching for my identity within a church, a denomination, a group. I think this is a very human thing to do: we want to be part of a group, have a leader, feel secure, delegate some of our personal responsibility perhaps. But it is NOT the way to go.

It led me to search tirelessly for an ideal church or denomination, even though I knew deep down such a thing did not exist, and I ended up getting embroiled in so many different churches and doctrines, as varied as Catholicism, Evangelicalism and then the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

I would encourage you all NOT to fall into this trap: DO NOT DEFINE YOURSELF as Presbyterian or Baptist or Reformed or Catholic or whatever: only as Christian, this is enough. Because we are followers of Christ, not ultimately of St Thomas of Aquinas or even Luther or Calvin, only Christ.

And the next time someone asks you what church you belong to or which denomination you are, before you answer, be aware of the motive behind their question. It is my belief that people generally ask this question in order to judge or form an opinion of you, according to their prejudices. All I answer now is “Christian”, nothing more, even if they press me. If I were to expand I would perhaps add that my desire is to follow Biblical, primitive Christianity, following Christ as He leads me.

Yes,I do not have a denomination.Jesus did not.I am a Christian...period...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Preach on sister. :)

:26:

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  51
  • Birthday:  07/25/1968

I have been this way for many years. I have been getting pretty disturbed about a lot of the teachings of some of the local churches here. In my journey to separate biblical doctrice from tradition and dogma, I am finding myself more and more contrary in my beliefs to the majority of the organized churches.

Don't get me wrong... I still believe that there is but One GOD, that He exists in three separate yet equal parts (The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit), and furthermore that these three are the same. I still believe in the Cross, and what Jesus did for me there. I still believe in who I am in relation to The Father. And I still believe that without Jesus I was bound for an eternity separated from Him, and would have always been missing something in my life to make it complete. That being said, I find myself not agreeing with "supposed" biblical teachings and traditions of todays modern church. I do not like the "seeker" mentality of "Invite your friends and family to church! Even if they are not Christians, we will do whatever to make them feel at home and welcome". I disagree with celebrating "halloween" and calling it a "harvest festival". I disagree with teaching that the Saviour was crucified on Friday and rose on Sunday. I disagree with the thought that a church has to have another "program" to attract more visitors when the Bible and Jesus were enough, etc. Ad nauseum. There are many "traditions" that have crept into todays church that I earnestly believe would have stirred Jesus' wrath as the money changers in the temple did. Because of that, I find more and greater fellowship here, and through small group Bible-Study with others much more beneficial, encouraging, and uplifting than consistently attending any of the local churches I have visited. I don't call myself a "baptist, pentecostal, methodist, etc." I call myself a Christian.

Okay.. I'll return you to your regularly scheduled discussion...

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  38

Good post.  I think we also compare ourselves to other people sometimes in order to "define ourselves" or to figure out who or what we are.   I always say I'm a Christian and that I am a member of the Methodist congregation because I feel comfortable in that doctrine.  First and foremost, I am a bible-believing, Jesus following individual which is what being a Christine is all about in my estimation.