Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
accensa candela

Reason for fasting?

27 posts in this topic

I have been seeking different ways that I can strengthen myself as a Christian and fasting comes to mind. I know fasting should be kept between the person fasting and God but is there a particular scripture on why fasting is done? I am thinking it is to strengthen ourselves by humbling ourselves, but I'm really not sure.

Read Isaiah 58.  This shows why and why not ...

Along with Isaiah 58, please read what Jesus taught concerning fasting.  You'll find it in Matthew 6:16-18. (I believe you may of already been there considering that you do know this is between you and God.  I include it because it was the first Scripture I read about fasting, and have held to it's truth).

God bless you,

Randal

Thank you both for replying, very helpful. I have been there Randal, but not for a while and I did not recall where exactly it was so it was nice to see.

God bless,

Mike

We are to seek God's face and pray to Him earnestly from the heart during this time. (Don't just repeat a written prayer.) As you said, it is to humble ourselves so that we can hear God better and be willing to obey. But faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. So for strength of faith, I have also heard it even helps to read the Bible out loud to one's self. I always ask God to speak to me through His word, as well.

Blessings

Willa

I find it may be the hardest thing to give up food for a time. I believe fasting is a form of self we give up for a time, to give of ourselves to our Father. The times I have fasted have been so awesome, and have recived answers I had been seeking. It is also is very good for the body and mind bring clearity to me.

How do some of you fast? Have any of you ever done a Daniel Fast or an Esther Fast? How have you done them? What foods/drinks did you include/exclude? For how long (days) did you do them? Thanks!

I have been seeking different ways that I can strengthen myself as a Christian and fasting comes to mind. I know fasting should be kept between the person fasting and God but is there a particular scripture on why fasting is done? I am thinking it is to strengthen ourselves by humbling ourselves, but I'm really not sure.

In order for Him to increase; I must decrease

When I am weak; He is strong.

These are immediately what came to mind when I read your post. Fasting weakens the fleshly body and strengthens the inner man.

Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. What are you feeding the spirit man within you? He craves the Word of Truth, not that nasty movie you are about to watch.

For Him to become stronger within you and your life, HE must be the center of your life. HE waits on us to want (not necessarily need) Him. Do you know how many people only talk to Him when their lives are in need or in pain? then when things settle down they need Him no more. Want Him to come and be your life and He shall.

He is your best friend. Be His best friend as well. Now, that you are seeking more of Him, give to Him more of you. He will meet you there.

God bless you

The bible says the flesh and The Spirit war against one another.  When you fast you make the flesh weaker.  I have found when I fast it puts me more in touch with the Spirit being stronger in me.  I think when you fast it causes God to notice and have compassion due to abstaining from whats allowed compared to the original sin in the garden of eden of eating what was forbidden.

@seeking1...  I know a brother who has been on the daniel fast for 4 years.  However when I fast i ussually do water only no food, 3 days seems to be as long as I can go.

Just to clarify, The body is not "the flesh" in the sense of its fallen sinful desires. Paul explained that sin dwells in the body.  We don't battle our own "tent" that God gave us, but the invader of Adamic sin that indwells the body.

Fasting from food or media or whatever is only as spiritually effective as it is replaced with something that is focused spritually. That is the point of Is 58. Simply starving the body can do more harm than good and make one even more given to sinful desire or faults! Jesus rebuked the pharisees, as they were actually even more prideful in their false humility when they fasted. Paul said that he fasted in order to keep his body in subjection to the spirit (born again inner man, or "new man"). Fasting definitely needs a clear spiritual focus and purpose in order to be edifying, but it is definitely one of the Christian disciplines clearly recommended in the NT. Richard Foster wrote a book called "Celebration of the Disciplines" that is a classic and quite conservative and acceptable to most Christian traditions and persuasions. Foster teaches on fasting as one of the disciplines.

Blessings, Andy