Diatheosis

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  370
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Having recently started my Hebrew studies, getting into the book of Genesis launched a journey through the Bible that probably will take at least the rest of my life time. What I came to ponder upon soon, has to do with the man God created we have come to know as Adam. As many already know, the word comes from Hebrew quite directly translated and if I am not mistaken, has to do with the dust of the Earth or so as the scripture portraits God creating the Man of the clay etc.

Now I came to think about the definite article used in front of the term Adam, which makes it interesting to be used as a name of a person and not a more general term.

This is just a linguistic observation I'd like to hear some clarification about, not a theological statement of any kind because I am still fairly new to the language and better keep certain state of humility.

It just stroke me because of the generally accepted view to call the first Man Adam, and the way he is being mentioned would not support such according to our mechanics as for language. Perhaps back then language worked quite differently, I'd assume.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Adom is typically translated as mankind or man.  In Hebrew, the meaning of a word is sometimes based on context. So, in scripture, it would be context and grammar which would indicate whether the word, Adom, refers to Adam, the first man, or mankind. I would have to check, but I think Ha'adom is mainly used for Adam, naming him, the first man. Of course Hebrew names have meanings.

Eve, in Hebrew is Chavah, so I often wonder where they got Eve in English. Chavah means 'living'.   

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Eve, in Hebrew is Chavah, so I often wonder where they got Eve in English.

I guess the same way they got "John" out of "Yochanan".

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Having recently started my Hebrew studies, getting into the book of Genesis launched a journey through the Bible that probably will take at least the rest of my life time. What I came to ponder upon soon, has to do with the man God created we have come to know as Adam. As many already know, the word comes from Hebrew quite directly translated and if I am not mistaken, has to do with the dust of the Earth or so as the scripture portraits God creating the Man of the clay etc.

Now I came to think about the definite article used in front of the term Adam, which makes it interesting to be used as a name of a person and not a more general term.

I read one way to translate the name, to be more precise, is "of the red clay".

Thus God calls the one He created by the substance He created him with.

But note that the woman is not given the name "Eve" until after the fall. Before then, she is simply called "the woman".

Thanks for the replies, I am aware of the meaning of the word, but as instance in the Finnish bible the word ha'adam suddenly is translated as Adam in the third chapter, before which has been 'man'. 

Would be pretty historical to spot the place where he was created, don't you think?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Diatheosis,

I don't understand your question "spot the place where he was created",can you help me to understand what this means?

With love,in Christ-Kwik

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03

If God created Adam in the American Southwest his name would be Dusty.

:happyhappy:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03

The thing to remember is that even in Eden things were not defined / named until Dusty named 'em.

Everything had to have a point of reference. Some believe a form of ancient Hebrew was the first language that God established getting the ball rolling (a similitude I am using here to convey meaning / understanding). There is no actual ball therefore it is not rolling... but names and patterns of description from observation etc. had to be established. The ripple effects of this origin carry on even today. In previous years "hold the line / hold the phone" meant just wait a doggone minute or patience... hardly applicable to today except by its expressionism. Someone having passed away before 1990 would not know what a byte is. "Keep it down to a sound byte in length."

The Greek and Germanic and eventually English language are the ones that got off into the in depth linguistics syntax structures. Nearly all other languages are pictorial (in Hebrew alef is an ox head, for example). Here called the Phoenician alphabet:

Alphabet.jpeg

The term abba (father) is ox {head} house house ox {head}

Adam ('dm) is ox door water... which is interesting...

....Some believe a form of ancient Hebrew was the first language that God established....

:thumbsup:

It Really Makes Sense

For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve him with one consent. Zephaniah 3:8

To Me

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. Genesis 1:31

Blessings Diatheosis,

I don't understand your question "spot the place where he was created",can you help me to understand what this means?

With love,in Christ-Kwik

The place where God created ha'Adam. When the man was still a sparkle in God's corner of an eye.