ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

This psalm is about David’s desire toward God and joyful dependence upon Him. 

This psalm is said to be a psalm of David. The psalm further claims to have been composed by David “when he was in the wilderness of Judah.” The “wilderness of Judah” was that wild and uncultivated tract of country lying on the east side of the territory of the tribe of Judah, commonly called “the wilderness of Judea”, lying along the Jordan. David was repeatedly driven into that wilderness in the time of Saul; and the general structure of the psalm would accord well with any one of those occasions; but the mention of the “king” in Psa_63:11, referring to David, makes it necessary to place the composition of the psalm to a later period in his life, since the title “king” was not given to him in the time of Saul. The psalm, therefore, was probably composed in the time of Absalom - the period when David was driven away by the rebellion, and compelled to seek a refuge in that wilderness. It belongs, if this view is correct, to the same period in the life of David as Psa_42:1-11; Psa_43:1-5; Psa_61:1-8; and probably some others.

Psa 63:1  A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah. O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; 

O God, thou art my God – Two different words in Hebrew are used here for God. The first, Elohiym, is the word which is usually employed to designate God, Strong’s word H430; gods in the ordinary sense; but specifically used of the supreme God. The second, Êl, is a word which is very often applied to God with the idea of strength - a strong, a mighty One. It is Strong’s word H410; strength; as adjective mighty; especially the Almighty. Probably the underlying idea here is that God was the source of his strength, or that in speaking of God as his God, he was conscious of referring to him as Almighty. It was the divine attribute of power on which his mind mainly rested when he spoke of him as his God. He did not appeal to him merely as God, with no reference to a particular attribute; but he had particularly in his eye his power or his ability to deliver and save him.

Early will I seek thee - The word used here has reference to the early dawn, or the morning; and the noun which is derived from the verb, means the aurora, the dawn, the morning. The meaning here is, that he would seek God as the first thing in the day; first in his plans and purposes; first in all things. He would seek God eagerly. 

my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee - The two words  “soul” and “flesh,” are designed to embrace the entire man, and to express the idea that he longed supremely for God; that all his desires, whether springing directly from the soul, or the needs of the body, rose to God as the only source from which they could be gratified. Compare to how we are told to love the Lord. Deu 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. Mar 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

In a dry and thirsty land - where no water is; such was the wilderness of Judea, where he now was, and where he was destitute of the means of grace, of the ordinances of God's house, and wanted comfort and refreshment for his soul. That is, As one longs for water in a parched desert, so his soul longs for God. 

Psa 63:2  To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary. 

To see thy power and thy glory - The reference here is to what was manifested of the presence and the power of God in the services of public worship; the praises, the prayers, the rejoicings, the evidences of the divine presence.

So as I have seen thee in the sanctuary - At the tabernacle, amidst the solemn services of divine worship. There seems to be no reason for supposing that he here refers to the mere external pomp and splendor of public worship, but he doubtless includes the power of the divine presence which he had felt in such services on his own soul. 

Psa 63:3  Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee. 

Because thy loving-kindness is better than life – The Lord’s favor; His mercy. This is of more value than life; more to be desired than life. Life is the most valued and valuable thing pertaining to this world which we can possess. But, above this, David valued the favor and friendship of God. If one or the other was to be sacrificed, he preferred that it should be his life; he would be willing to exchange that for the favor of God. Life was not desirable, life furnished no comforts - no joys - without the divine favor.

My lips shall praise thee - Men praise, or speak well, of power, glory, honor, riches, worldly prospects and pleasures; but the truly religious speak well of God, in whom they find infinitely more satisfaction and happiness than worldly men can find in the possession of all earthly good.

My lips shall praise thee - Even in affliction we need not want matter for praise. When this is the regular frame of a believer's mind, he values the loving-kindness of God more than life. God's loving-kindness is our spiritual life, and that is better than temporal life. We must praise God with joyful lips; we must address ourselves to the duties of religion with cheerfulness, and speak forth the praises of God from a principle of holy joy. Praising lips must be joyful lips. David was in continual danger; care and fear held his eyes waking, and gave him wearisome nights; but he comforted himself with thoughts of God. 

Psa 63:4  Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name. 

Thus will I bless thee while I live - In my life; or, as long as life lasts, will I praise thee. The word “thus” refers to the sentiment in the previous verse, meaning that as the result of his deep sense of the value of the loving kindness of God, he would praise Him through all the remainder of his life, or would never cease to praise Him. A true purpose of serving God embraces the whole of this life, and the whole of eternity. He who loves God, and who has any proper sense of His mercy, does not anticipate a time when he will cease to praise and bless Him, or when he will have any desire or wish not to be engaged in His service.

Thus will I bless thee while I live - With his whole heart and soul, as he had sought after Him, and as under a sense of His loving kindness; and as he now praised Him with his lips, so he determined to do as long as he had life and being; by proclaiming His blessedness, by ascribing blessing and honor to Him, and by giving Him the glory of all mercies temporal and spiritual; 

I will lift up my hands in thy name - not against his enemies, against those that fought against him, but unto God in heaven; and that not as a gesture used in swearing, but either in blessing or in prayer, or in both, 

Psa 63:5  My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips: 

My soul shall be satisfied - The idea is, that his soul now longed for the service of God as one who is hungry longs for food, or as one who is thirsty longs for drink; and that the time would come when this longing desire would be satisfied. He would engage in the service of God as he desired to do; he would be permitted to enjoy that service without interruption.

As with marrow and fatness - The words here employed denote rich food; and the comparison is between the pleasure of serving God, and the satisfaction derived from food when one is hungry. It is not uncommon to compare the pleasures of the Lord with a feast or banquet. 

My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness - When he should return to the house of the Lord, and partake of the provisions of it, called the fatness of his house; by the fatness of it the provisions there, the word and ordinances, and the blessings of grace which they hold forth; The phrase denotes the abundance of spiritual refreshment and delight in the word and ordinances, and the great satisfaction had in them; and may have some regard to benefits arising from prayer, as well as other ordinances. Fat was not to be eaten under the legal dispensation, and therefore not to be literally taken; but in the typical and spiritual sense which David understood: he refers to those spiritual good things which they typified, and give spiritual pleasure and satisfaction;

my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips - Lips full of joy; or, which give utterance to the joy of the heart.

my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips - such a full meal calls for abundant thankfulness; which is here signified by the mouth praising the Lord, and doing this with lips of shouting, expressions of joy, songs of praise, jubilee songs. The allusion is to the use of music and singing at festivals.

my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips – Despite all his troubles, David offers praise and not complaints. So should Christians do today during times of hardship. 

Psa 63:6  When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches. 

When I remember thee upon my bed - That is, when he lay down at night; when he composed himself to sleep. Nothing can be more proper than that his last thoughts, as he sinks into quiet slumber, should be of God; of His being, His character, His mercy, His loving-kindness; of the dealings of His providence, and the manifestations of His grace toward us, during the day; and nothing is better suited to compose the mind to rest, and to induce quiet and gentle slumber, than the calmness of soul which arises from the idea of an Infinite God, and from confidence in Him. 

meditate on thee in the nightwatches - The word watches here refers to the ancient divisions of the night for municipal or military purposes - periods of the night assigned to different persons to keep watch around a camp or city. The most common division of the night was into three parts, though the arrangement varied at different times. 

Psa 63:7  Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice. 

Because thou hast been my help - The idea is, that he had experienced divine intervention in times of danger, and that this was a reason why he should still confide in God. The argument is, that God’s mercy and favor in the past is a reason why we should confide in him in time to come.

Therefore in the shadow of thy wings - If the psalmist does not allude to the overshadowing of the mercy seat by the extended wings of the cherubim, he may have in view, as a metaphor, the young of fowls, seeking shelter, protection, and warmth under the wings of their mothers. When a bird of prey appears, the chickens will, by natural instinct, run under the wings of their mothers for protection.

Because thou hast been my help - the words may be considered as the subject of his meditation in the night watches, at least as a part of it; and as what gave him a great deal of pleasure to reflect upon, how the Lord had been in times past a present help to him in time of trouble; 

Psa 63:8  My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me. 

My soul followeth hard after thee - The word used here means properly to cleave to; to adhere; to be glued to; to stick fast. Then it means to attach oneself to anything; and then, to pursue or follow after. The idea here is that of adhering to, or cleaving to; the psalmist adhered firmly to God, as pieces of wood glued together adhere to each other; that he stuck fast to Him; that he would not leave Him or be separated from Him. The language represents the feelings of true piety in adhering firmly and constantly to God, whatever there may be that tends to separate us from Him. The adhesion of bodies by glue is a striking but not an adequate representation of the firmness with which the soul adheres to God. Portions of matter held together by glue may be separated; the soul of the true believer never can be separated from God.

My soul followeth hard after thee - This phrase not only shows the diligence of the pursuit, and the nearness of the attainment, but also the fast hold he had got of the mercy of his God.

My soul followeth hard after thee – David has an active faith, not a passive one. He clings to the Lord in a submissive faith and an active pursuit of God. 

Thy right hand upholdeth me – This is a Messianic prophecy reference. The term "God's right hand" in prophecy refers to the Messiah to whom is given the power and authority to subdue His enemies Psa 110:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool. Psa 118:16 The right hand of the LORD is exalted: the right hand of the LORD doeth valiantly. Consider in Matthew Mat 22:43-45 He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool? If David then call him Lord, how is he his son? Where Jesus refers to Psalm 110 and shows how this refers to Himself. Later, Stephen in Acts sees Jesus at the right hand of God. Act 7:56 And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God. The position of the Messiah is at God's right hand. Paul confirms the place of Jesus at the right hand of God. Rom 8:34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. "God's right hand" refers to the Messiah, the LORD Jesus Christ and He is of equal position, honor, power and authority with God. 

thy right hand upholdeth me - that he fell not through the snares laid for him, and the stumbling blocks thrown in his way; that he stood and bore up under all his afflictions, temptations, and difficulties; that he was enabled to follow hard after the Lord, and cleave unto him; this supported, supplied, and protected him, even the mighty power and grace of God. 

Psa 63:9  But those that seek my soul, to destroy it, shall go into the lower parts of the earth. 

Shall go into the lower parts of the earth - Shall descend into the earth; into the deepest graves. He would live; but they would perish.

Lower parts of the earth - They are appointed, in the just judgment of God, to destruction; they shall be slain and buried in the earth, and shall be seen no more. Some understand the passage as referring to the punishment of hell; which many supposed to be in the center of the earth.

those that seek my soul to destroy it - Meaning his life; for as for his soul, that was immaterial and immortal, and could never be destroyed by man: but as for his natural life, his enemies laid snares for that, and sought to take it away, and nothing less would satisfy them; 

Psa 63:10  They shall fall by the sword: they shall be a portion for foxes. 

They shall fall by the sword - The word rendered in the text “they shall fall” means properly, to flow, to pour out, as water; and then, to pour out; then, to give up or deliver. The idea here is that of delivering over, as one pours out water from a basin or pitcher: they shall be delivered over to the sword. 

They shall fall by the sword - They shall be poured out by the hand of the sword, Hebrews That is, their life’s blood shall be shed either in war, or by the hand of justice.

They shall be a portion for foxes - The original word means a fox. But under this general name fox, they seem to have comprehended other animals also, having some resemblance to a fox, and particularly jackals. Jackals are wild, fierce, savage; they howl around dwellings at night, ready to gather at any moment when there is prey to be devoured. 

They shall be a portion for foxes - They shall be left unburied, and the jackals shall feed upon their dead bodies. Or, being all cut off by utter destruction, their Inheritance shall be left for the wild beasts. That which was their portion shall shortly be the portion of the wild beasts of the forest. 

Psa 63:11  But the king shall rejoice in God; every one that sweareth by him shall glory: but the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped. 

But the king shall rejoice in God - This passage shows that this psalm could not have been composed in the time of Saul, since the title king was not then given to David. The title was his; the throne belonged to him, and not to Absalom who had driven him from it. It was not improper to allude to this fact in the manner in which it is referred to here, and to say that “the king” - the true, the real king - himself - should and would rejoice in God. He would find God to be his helper; and by God he would yet be restored to his throne.

Every one that sweareth by him shall glory - Everyone that sweareth to him, or maintains his oath of allegiance to him, shall be honored.

Every one that sweareth by him shall glory - all that call on the Lord shall glory in Him. 

But the mouth of them that speak lies - All who have sworn falsely; all who have professed allegiance and have proved unfaithful; all those who, contrary to their oaths and their obligations, have been found in the rebellion. They shall not be permitted to exult or rejoice, but they shall be confounded and silenced. This expresses, therefore, the fullest confidence in God; the absolute belief of David that he would be again placed on his throne, and again permitted “to see the power and glory of God as” he had “seen it in the sanctuary” Psa_63:2; the belief that he would be restored to prosperity, and that his enemies would be humbled and destroyed So it will be with all who put their trust in God. There is certain joy and triumph for them, if not in this world, at least in the world to come.

The mouth of them that speak lies - The mouth of those who acknowledge lying vanities, that worship false gods, shall be stopped. All false religions shall be destroyed by the prevalence of the truth. For he, Christ, shall reign till all his enemies are put under his feet. 

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

We used to sing Psm 63:3-4 . Thy loving kindness is better than life. To me it is also saying that life is not worth living without God's loving kindness, which is also part of the definition of grace. We love Him because He first loved us and sent His Son to die for us.

My lips shall praise thee, thus will I bless thee----, I will lift up my hands in Thy Name. This reminds me of Moses raising his staff, and as long as he held it up, the Israelites were winning the battle, but when his arms grew weary they would start to lose. So others came along side him to hold up his arms. We so often need the prayers and support of others when we grow weary and weak. Even Jesus asked for the disciples' prayers when he fought the battle within Himself on Gesthemane, but they fell asleep.

Praising and blessing the Lord is a powerful form of spiritual battle as well. I used to have an obscene phone caller. As soon as I heard him I would start praising and blessing the Lord on the phone till he would hang up on me. Once this strategy was a part of God's battle plans as well. God also used this in 2 Chron 20:21-22. The armies of Jehoshaphat were to stand still while singers praised the beauty of God's holiness. The opposing armies fought among themselves and destroyed each other. So stand and see the salvation of God! And having done all, to stand (firmly in place, holding your ground.) Eph 6:13 AMP

63:5 God's word is meat indeed. It is rich and flavorful.

63:7 I once watched a mama Mallard lead her ducklings accross a Walmart parking lot toward a golf course on the other side. Her wings were outspread with the ducklings hiding beneath from scorching sun and predators.

63:8 follow hard. Amp Bible also gives adhere to as a definition of believe--to trust in, adhere to and rely upon are certainly not passive. Saving faith is an active trusting faith. John 1:12 We trust in Christ's character as revealed in the Gospels, and He came to reveal the Father to us. They are trustworthy. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved. Acts 16:31

Thank you Jady

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Jade,,,

Praise & Glory to God in the Highest!I honestly was paying no attention that this was a study forum-lol & thought is was the Praise section & I was just having a good ole time reading & praising....especially that David is probably my all time favorite & I could read the accounts of His lifetime over & over and I enjoy it just as much as the first time I heard it from my fathers lips when he used to read "Bible Stories"to me as a little girl........I love the Psalms dearly & just know the ones that David wrote......His reverence & awe of the Almighty is only equaled by his passion & intimacy for the only One who never left his side,even in his sin against God (Uriah the Hittite)................

Thanks for posting the lovely study & your observations,clearly these are the latter days and his being driven from his kingdom by his own beloved son,Absalom.....11 Samuel 15:23 also lends to the account of Davids wilderness experience.But I just wanted to say that I enjoyed what you have shared...............Amen Sister

With love,in Christ-Kwik

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

Lovely psalms to read. You have nicely broken it down into detail. As I recall the one story concerning David being chased by Saul in the wilderness because he didnt want david to be king and how remarkable to see David write down the pain and suffering he had to endure of his hardships and how he turned to God for strength. And here we are reading with delight for encouragement in our own dispairs in life. It's all amazing to me. I love it.

Psalm 63

King James Version (KJV)

63 O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;

2 To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.

3 Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.

4 Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.

5 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:

6 When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.

7 Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.

8 My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me.

9 But those that seek my soul, to destroy it, shall go into the lower parts of the earth.

10 They shall fall by the sword: they shall be a portion for foxes.

11 But the king shall rejoice in God; every one that sweareth by him shall glory: but the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped.