• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

I saw an old thread on this topic that I can't locate...I think Butero was a part of that one but I can't remember.  If there is a way to find it and delete this thread I don't mind.  Ok, original sin...

My problem with the idea of original sin isn’t new to most orthodox Christians especially if you’ve been a member of this website for a long time.  If there is such thing as original sin and humanity became sinners the day they were born how can Jesus be our substitute?  I know about the scripture that says he is the second Adam but is this the perfect Adam before the fall who only was tempted outwardly or post fall, therefore just like you and I, also tempted from within as much as without?  If so how are we considered sinners the day we are born and share that nature with Jesus yet the bible says he never sinned?  Your thoughts and comments are appreciated especially when supported by scripture.  Gracias

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Hi Remnentrob

Is the the answer you are looking for?

"What is the substitutionary atonement?"

Answer:The substitutionary atonement refers to Jesus Christ dying as a substitute for sinners. The Scriptures teach that all men are sinners (Romans 3:9-18,23). The penalty for our sinfulness is death.Romans 6:23reads, “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

That verse teaches us several things. Without Christ, we are going to die and spend an eternity in hell as payment for our sins. Death in the Scriptures refers to a “separation.” Everyone will die, but some will live in heaven with the Lord for eternity, while others will live a life in hell for eternity. The death spoken of here refers to the life in hell. However, the second thing this verse teaches us is that eternal life is available through Jesus Christ. This is His substitutionary atonement.

Jesus Christ died in our place when He was crucified on the cross. We deserved to be the ones placed on that cross to die because we are the ones who live sinful lives. But Christ took the punishment on Himself in our place—He substituted Himself for us and took what we rightly deserved. “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21).

“He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed” (1 Peter 2:24). Here again we see that Christ took the sins we committed onto Himself to pay the price for us. A few verses later we read, “For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit” (1 Peter 3:18). Not only do these verses teach us about the substitute that Christ was for us, but they also teach that He was the atonement, meaning He satisfied the payment due for the sinfulness of man.

One more passage that talks about the substitutionary atonement isIsaiah 53:5. This verse talks about the coming Christ who was to die on the cross for our sins. The prophecy is very detailed, and the crucifixion happened just as it was foretold. “But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.” Notice the substitution. Here again we see that Christ paid the price for us!

We can only pay the price of sin on our own by being punished and placed in hell for all eternity. But God’s Son, Jesus Christ, came to earth to pay for the price of our sins. Because He did this for us, we now have the opportunity to not only have our sins forgiven, but to spend eternity with Him. In order to do this we must place our faith in what Christ did on the cross. We cannot save ourselves; we need a substitute to take our place. The death of Jesus Christ is the substitutionary atonement.

Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/substitutionary-atonement.html#ixzz2rnxSwpyP

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

it was Adam that sinned, not Eve who was deceived.    that is passed down through the male side, and Jesus does not have an earthly father......   so he was born outside the curse of Adam's sin.  As long as Jesus didn't sin, he should have physically lived forever.....    I might add that he also didn't have a brand new spirit as we did when we were conceived, the spirit that was Jesus had been with the Father before time.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

it was Adam that sinned, not Eve who was deceived.    that is passed down through the male side, and Jesus does not have an earthly father......   so he was born outside the curse of Adam's sin.  As long as Jesus didn't sin, he should have physically lived forever.....    I might add that he also didn't have a brand new spirit as we did when we were conceived, the spirit that was Jesus had been with the Father before time.

This is the first plausible explaination that I've heard concerning original sin... Thank you other one.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  559
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/01/1962

I saw an old thread on this topic that I can't locate...I think Butero was a part of that one but I can't remember.  If there is a way to find it and delete this thread I don't mind.  Ok, original sin...

My problem with the idea of original sin isn’t new to most orthodox Christians especially if you’ve been a member of this website for a long time.  If there is such thing as original sin and humanity became sinners the day they were born how can Jesus be our substitute?  I know about the scripture that says he is the second Adam but is this the perfect Adam before the fall who only was tempted outwardly or post fall, therefore just like you and I, also tempted from within as much as without?  If so how are we considered sinners the day we are born and share that nature with Jesus yet the bible says he never sinned?  Your thoughts and comments are appreciated especially when supported by scripture.  Gracias

I don't buy into the doctrine of original sin. I believe it is Augustine's doctrine.

I don't buy into the doctrine of original sin. I believe it is Augustine's doctrine.

What do you mean you don't buy into it, it's not being sold. It's a fact of life and scripture. Original sin comes from man. You believe Genesis is false Butch?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  450
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

The bible says Jesus was of the seed of David and Abraham now those two were men.

Hebrews 2:16
16  For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

Romans 1:3
3  Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;

I think Jesus was definitely flesh head to toes, inside and out, just like us.

Now where could a sin be if it is a particle  be located ?

Jesus wasn't born with sin and neither are we.

Sinners are convicted sinner (law breaker)

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

The bible says Jesus was of the seed of David and Abraham now those two were men.

16  For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

3  Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;

I personally have always looked at it that we are born under the curse of Adam's sin......    not necessarily sinners ourselves.

The old covenant of the law didn't not promise us eternal life, but a good life while we were alive.        I think the Law and the old covenant were actually to show us how lacking we as humans are.....   much of an object lesson.'

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  2

Jesus was born of a virgin, Mary.  Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit into Mary.  Jesus had no earthly father, therefore no sin in Him.

The original sin brought about death,  We all die because of Adam's Sin.  We all sin because we were all born sinners, it is in our genes our blood.  We all have choice, freedom to do right or wrong, 

Rom 5:12 - Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man (Adam), and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned...  v.17 - For if, by the trespass of one man (Adam), death reigned through that one man...

In Christ

Montana Marv

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  450
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

I personally have always looked at it that we are born under the curse of Adam's sin......    not necessarily sinners ourselves.

The old covenant of the law didn't not promise us eternal life, but a good life while we were alive.        I think the Law and the old covenant were actually to show us how lacking we as humans are.....   much of an object lesson.'

I think we are under the same penalty(curse) as Adam, we sin we die also.

The penalty was passed on.

as the scripts says - OT soul that sinneth it shall die - NT the wages of sin is death