missmuffet

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I can not believe the horrible rental prices for homes.I am looking for a rental home and it is ridiculous.It can be $2,000.00/mo. and it is a dive.Why are people doing this?Are they in horrible debt so they need alot of extra money in their pockets?Are they just starting with really high prices to see if they can get that and then come down?What a RIPOFF  :foot-stomp:

wow that is high $2000.00 a month,,,I live in a military/tourist town and i see rental houses here at 1500.00/mon. So, i guess it depends on where your located and some people probably are horribly in debt, a way for them to get out of debt, but the more they make the more they spend usually.

That is what I was thinking.A way for them to get out of debt and have a nice monthly salary.I have noticed that after a couple of months they will bring the rent down.Hmmmm......So it is like a flea market.They post the house for rent at a very high price that they would like and people are saying "NO WAY".I am thinking,do you really think your run down manufactured home is really worth $1,600.00/mo?What is wrong with this picture?

I'm actually on the cusp of never having to pay rent again hopefully. Currently I pay $525 for my rent on a 1st floor apartment in a small suburb town which does just fine for my fiance. She lives there while I still live with my family before we get married this Summer.

I just bought a house that will almost double my housing payments, but it'll be an investment in something I "own", instead of something I'm paying someone else and will never get back. I am glad I am doing this as soon as possible. No matter if home prices go up or down, I've got something to call my own. In most cases it's cheaper to buy your own home than rent anyway.

one of the best feelings I can remember was the week we got our house paid off.   Did it on my 55th birthday....   You are right about it being better to put your money into something that is yours.  I would say though that houses are a lot of work over the years...  but if you do most of it yourself it's much cheaper than renting.

That is nice for your and your wife oo but not everyone can buy a house.Other people might have come across some real financial trials and tribulations along the way.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

a lot depends on the economy and where you live. A lot of people have gone out and bought high priced homes, and when the economy dived, they could no longer afford them and couldn't sell them, many turned to renting them out-and you can't rent a house out for less then what your paying mortgage wise (just not wise) and if your house payment is 1500 a month, and the local economy is supporting 2000 a month rent, then it makes sense to go that high. It stinks, but thats the way it is. You may consider looking at apartments-in most areas if you know what your looking for you can usually find decently priced apartments that may not be what you want or entirely comfortable, but will suit your needs.

Can not do apartments.Been there done that.It was a disaster.Personally I think a person is going to see just how much someone will pay.The more money extra in their pocket the better.

I extremely dislike apartments to, been there done that-I do understand that. However, sometimes one does what one has to-I would rather have an apartment then go into debt renting a house. In all honesty, especially with homes, I think renting a house is basically, just throwing away money, and I refuse to do it. even apartments are iffy, but if Im going to rent a place its probably going to be an apartment. I live in a house now-but I own it, I would much rather make mortgage payments then rent payments.

a lot depends on the economy and where you live. A lot of people have gone out and bought high priced homes, and when the economy dived, they could no longer afford them and couldn't sell them, many turned to renting them out-and you can't rent a house out for less then what your paying mortgage wise (just not wise) and if your house payment is 1500 a month, and the local economy is supporting 2000 a month rent, then it makes sense to go that high. It stinks, but thats the way it is. You may consider looking at apartments-in most areas if you know what your looking for you can usually find decently priced apartments that may not be what you want or entirely comfortable, but will suit your needs.

Can not do apartments.Been there done that.It was a disaster.Personally I think a person is going to see just how much someone will pay.The more money extra in their pocket the better.

I extremely dislike apartments to, been there done that-I do understand that. However, sometimes one does what one has to-I would rather have an apartment then go into debt renting a house. In all honesty, especially with homes, I think renting a house is basically, just throwing away money, and I refuse to do it. even apartments are iffy, but if Im going to rent a place its probably going to be an apartment. I live in a house now-but I own it, I would much rather make mortgage payments then rent payments.

Yes,my point is that many would rather be paying a mortage on their own home than renting.Thousands in the United States right now are hungry and homeless.Especially since the government has cut their food benefits.If you own a home and have a mortgage then I guess you need to count your Blessings.I too will count my Blessings that I have food on the table and a roof over my head.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  2

Yes,my point is that many would rather be paying a mortage on their own home than renting.Thousands in the United States right now are hungry and homeless.Especially since the government has cut their food benefits.If you own a home and have a mortgage then I guess you need to count your Blessings.I too will count my Blessings that I have food on the table and a roof over my head.

You should blame the government for setting policies unfriendly to businesses so people can't get a job to feed themselves, and the Federal reserve inflating people's savings away.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

i would have to agree with you concerning the apartments. If one can avoid an apartment and buy a house, your not throwing money away for sure. I do know not everyone wants the responsibility of owning a house with cost of repairs and such, owning a house just isnt for everyone. And at the same time one has to see the landlords position of renting their house but it is highway robbery to raise it so high, its just ridiculous, maybe their thoughts are getting the right people in to take care of their property and if they don't then they can possibly sue, as oppose to lower income people maybe not caring, just not sure other then the money part seems to be the reason for a quick cash flow income on the side. 

I was reading some stuff on land-sharing where people have extra land they rent out for gardening purposes here in my town, and I was shocked to see just for a season it was $400.00.  People see cost of inflation parallel to everything in economy, even personal property.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

As Patriot said, owners have to charge enough rent to cover their mortgage and taxes on the place.  Up there where you live rents are reported to be quite high.  They're going up everywhere though.  The average single family home here in Houston, in a good neighborhood, rents for about $1,500 per month.   As you move out to the suburbs it gets cheaper.  My son pays $1,000 a month for a four bedroom in a great neighborhood but it's 40 miles outside the city.  Have you checked on condos or homes outside the city?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

I'm actually on the cusp of never having to pay rent again hopefully. Currently I pay $525 for my rent on a 1st floor apartment in a small suburb town which does just fine for my fiance. She lives there while I still live with my family before we get married this Summer.

I just bought a house that will almost double my housing payments, but it'll be an investment in something I "own", instead of something I'm paying someone else and will never get back. I am glad I am doing this as soon as possible. No matter if home prices go up or down, I've got something to call my own. In most cases it's cheaper to buy your own home than rent anyway.

one of the best feelings I can remember was the week we got our house paid off.   Did it on my 55th birthday....   You are right about it being better to put your money into something that is yours.  I would say though that houses are a lot of work over the years...  but if you do most of it yourself it's much cheaper than renting.

That WILL be a wonderful day when the mortgage is paid off.  I have fifteen years to go but I'm counting the months! 

You guys have your homes.You do not get it.Lets hear from someone who actually is my situation.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Ive been in it. it took me years to get a home. I didnt get my home, by paying to much rent for a house. I got it, by biting my teeth, and renting a much cheaper apartment (even a trailer house) and saving my pennies. I didnt want to stay in that apartment, I most certainly didnt want to live in that trailer, I hated it. But If I hadn't have done that, I would have never been able to afford a home. You act like im being insensitive-Im not. Im not lording it that I have a home-Im sayinve Ive been there, Ive done that. I know you dont want to live in an apartment. but, like you said homes are expensive to rent-and the market isnt likely to change. From a financial perspective, it is far, far better to rent something cheaper-even if it is a trailer or an apartment (I would vote apartment as they are safer and with most of them the utlities are lower) and save your money until you can afford to purchase a good home, instead of renting a house you can barely afford. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made. Set a goal, and figure out how to get to it-and sometimes, you have to give up something you want know, in order to get what you want later.