• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

again, I really think to say that men are "inheritantly lonely" and incapable of platonic relationships with women, is completly lacking in observation-and Biblical support. I have always had many platonic relationships with women, men are just as capable of them as women. Men are just as capable of being single and happy as women. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

I do not know about men, but me being a woman, the longer I stay single the more I seem to be ok with it. I adjust and do things alone, with family or friends. Women have their moments just like men I suppose. I have came across some men that are very set in their ways and are willing to change but once they get you hooked in a relationship with them they resort back to their old ways.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

But some folks have this thought -

Men cannot live without a woman, but women can function quite well in life without a man. ( I have witnessed this time and again).

Woman is the "helpmeet" for man - man needs help.

Also, a woman can have clear boundaries when it comes to men as just friends, whereas it's harder for men to have a platonic male/female friendship as they always have the "hope" it will develop into romance.......

I don't think that a generalisation like that could possibly be accurate!  There are so many different types of people out there, to lump all men into one category and all women into another just seems unfair.

As for the platonic friendships... I think it is ridiculous when people say that men and women can't just be friends.  I have plenty of male friends I have never had any other feelings for, and they have never had any other feelings for me.  Sure, some men think that you can't just be friends with a woman and I'm sure there are woman who think the same about men, but that is purely their own limitations, set down by themselves. 

Ok, we've all seen examples of both sexes coping without the other.

Some are single by choice, others not so. Some cope better than others.

I have seen however, men who have become single only to find a new partner in what seems like record time.

Is it the need to fill a void or simply because men are hard wired that way - hence woman being a helpmeet for man and not the other way around.

I know females who are like this too.  They seem to break up with someone and then the next minute they have found someone else!  I don't know how they do it, but maybe that's because I've always had long gaps between the few relationships I have had.

I do agree though that men do seem to fair better with a woman in their life.

It makes them friendlier!!

It depends entirely on the man and the woman!  One of my closest friends had been with his girlfriend for 3 years (? I think) until they broke up last month after she admitted she didn't feel the same any more and had, in fact, cheated on him while she'd been travelling for the previous few months.  Although he seemed happy in the relationship until the last few weeks, I had avoided being around the two of them as much as possible during the last 3 years because whenever he was around her, he was a different person, especially towards me.  I have to admit, I have never been a fan of her as he changed as soon as he got involved with her and I can't say I'm sad that they are not together, but it's a shame that he had to get hurt.

That said, there are plenty of people - men and women - who do fair better in a relationship.

right now yes! I would. but if I had to go back in time to when I was 19, I would still want to be single then. :D keep in mind that people change to. what they need at one point in life may very well be different then another point in life.

I think that is a very good point - timing is everything!  There are times in a persons life when they will not be ready for a relationship, there will be times when they are not interested in a relationship but until a person is ready and interested, it is better that they are single.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  5

Can't live with them can't live without them.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  0

again, I really think to say that men are "inheritantly lonely" and incapable of platonic relationships with women, is completly lacking in observation-and Biblical support. I have always had many platonic relationships with women, men are just as capable of them as women. Men are just as capable of being single and happy as women. 

I didn't say that men were "incapable" of platonic relationships with women that would be a foolish statement to make.  In the book of Genesis after Adam had finished naming all of the animals and things.  It was afterwards that Adam realized that he did not have a helpmeet and it was then that God said that it was not good for man to be alone.  And a deep sleep came over Adam and God took his rib and made an helpmeet a woman and gave her to Adam to be his wife.  I just think when God said it wasn't good for man to be alone.  That God knew the heart of the man he created and what he needed.    And yes men are just as capable of platonic relationships with women and capable of being single and as happy as the women.  But that doesn't dismiss the loneliness of being single and it never will.    And by saying that it doesn't take someone's capabilities or happiness away from them in any way.  But it does seem like Adam instinctively and naturally came to realize on his own that he was alone and God said it wasn't good for him to be alone.  I am not making a biblical doctrine here.   I've just have never seen or heard God make that same statement "it's not good for women to be alone" in regards to women (not that God has too) .  But I do personally think that men feel a deeper depth of loneliness than women do being single.  I know that man was created alone but women were created for.   

Good post OC.

To Patriot-2013: I'm just saying that men fair better with a woman, women are capable either way - single or with.

That's my opinion now from what I've observed, and woman being mans helper (Biblical), makes a lot more sense to me now.

and I disagree. Men and women were made to be together. I agree-most men fair better then women-but on the same note, most women fair better with a man in their life (assuming in both cases, that its a biblical relationship) men are equally capable of making it without women as the other way around. In my experience, most women who say they dont need men in their life are usually saying it only because a man has hurt them in the past, and its their way of dealing with it-avoiding male relationships to avoid pain, it has nothing to do with them being more capable of being without men.

Totally, they were made for each other - there is no question :)

I don't want this to be man V women lol, but in my humble opinion, men are like "grown up little boys" in their emotions - they still need nurturing and looking after.

Because women are the nurturers, in a sense we are self sufficient in that way - of course there are exceptions to the rule...

My opinion :)

Edited by HisG

men do act like grown up little boys often, your right there. However, I think your being a little biased-Im not accusing you of being that way intentionally, but your doing what many do-your looking at men without taking a honest look at women. yes, men act childish and immature, but many, many woman, need a mans love-are 100% lost without it, and will look in all the wrong places for it, especially if they didnt have a good father figure growing up. I agree, many women who had or have a good father figure in their lives do often handle themselves on their own just fine-but so do most men who have both parents there and supportive. what makes a man or a woman able to be fully capable of being emotionally stable while single has nothing to do with their gender, at all-and to suggest so, is not an accurate representation of the facts.