HawaiianShirts

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

So, I haven't read the Bible cover-to-cover yet, but I'm comfortably familiar with it. There are a few things that have me confused.

Here's one. In Jeremiah 1:5 (KJV), I read this.

"Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations."

It says that God knew Jeremiah, not just before he was born, but before he was even concieved. Could that mean that we all existed in some kind of pre-birth state? Were we... I don't know... some kind of self-aware entity, maybe like a spirit, before we were born here on Earth? That's what it sounds like to me, anyway, and, so far, I haven't found anything that proves it wrong, but every pastor I've talked to about this says that it's impossible for any human to have existed before now.

Any thoughts?

Edited by HawaiianShirts

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I moved this from seekers because it takes a lot of time to approve every post and it slows things down a bit (for good reason). But i feel it can be better answered here.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,864
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Keep in mind that God is not limited to space and time.   where God lives there literally is no time....   he can see what you are going to do next week or the last day of your life...          so he can know us completely.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Yes. Without going down the winding predestination road, He knows the history of your future, if you get my drift.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

God is all knowing. He is outside of our idea of time because He created time itself. He created all things. He planned everything as well. But to me it is saying that God foreknew Jeremiah's genetics and what he would become because He planned it all.

This verse goes a long way to indicate that we become a person in the womb and not at birth, as some believe.

He also says that we are elect (chosen) according to the foreknowledge of God for obedience. 1Peter 1:2

And that He chose us in Him (Christ) before the foundation of the world that we should be holy and without blame before Him--. Eph 1:4 This applies to all who are IN CHRIST. This whole passage refers to the blessings that are for those who are in Christ and have Christ in them. We are also predestined to be adopted as sons, and the guarentee given us is His Holy Spirit.

Guest shiloh357

So, I haven't read the Bible cover-to-cover yet, but I'm comfortably familiar with it. There are a few things that have me confused.

Here's one. In Jeremiah 1:5 (KJV), I read this.

"Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations."

It says that God knew Jeremiah, not just before he was born, but before he was even concieved. Could that mean that we all existed in some kind of pre-birth state? Were we... I don't know... some kind of self-aware entity, maybe like a spirit, before we were born here on Earth? That's what it sounds like to me, anyway, and, so far, I haven't found anything that proves it wrong, but every pastor I've talked to about this says that it's impossible for any human to have existed before now.

Any thoughts?

It's referring to God's omiscience which includes His knowledge of the future.  God knew you would be born long before you were born.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/18/1989

God is all knowing. He is outside of our idea of time because He created time itself. He created all things. He planned everything as well. But to me it is saying that God foreknew Jeremiah's genetics and what he would become because He planned it all.

This verse goes a long way to indicate that we become a person in the womb and not at birth, as some believe.

He also says that we are elect (chosen) according to the foreknowledge of God for obedience. 1Peter 1:2

And that He chose us in Him (Christ) before the foundation of the world that we should be holy and without blame before Him--. Eph 1:4 This applies to all who are IN CHRIST. This whole passage refers to the blessings that are for those who are in Christ and have Christ in them. We are also predestined to be adopted as sons, and the guarentee given us is His Holy Spirit.

This.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Psalm 139:13-16 For You formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother’s womb.

14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;[b]
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

This.

Yes, this :amen:

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

Psalm 139:13-16 For You formed my inward parts;

You covered me in my mother’s womb.

14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;[b]

Marvelous are Your works,

And that my soul knows very well.

15 My frame was not hidden from You,

When I was made in secret,

And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.

And in Your book they all were written,

The days fashioned for me,

When as yet there were none of them.

:amen:   This scripture passage reveals deep truths for the true seekers in how we came into existence.  King David himself was awe struck with this revelation as he went on to say further in this passage of scripture these words..... 

Psalms 139:17-18 - How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God!  how great is the sum of them!  vs. 18) If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand:  when I awake, I am still with thee.