• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

Hello friends,

One of the most famously known text that speaks of belief is John 3:16. 

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.  I'm sure you've heard a million sermons on this text alone so I will consider you experts. My question is what does it mean to believe?  I've heard people say just confess it with your lips that Jesus is Lord, but that seems too easy. Not to say that God doesn't want this experience to be easy for us but even the demoms believe (James 2:19).  Your scripturally supported opinions are appreciated.  In case you're interested in my opinion....belief is obedience....text to come gotta run but didn't want to lose the thought.  God bless.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,864
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I've heard people say just confess it with your lips that Jesus is Lord,

Think about what that means....   confessing with your mouth that Jesus is one's Lord is not a simple statement when you look at what a Lord is.....   it may seem easy to say, but it's not always so easy to live up to that statement unless one is just lying about it, and where do liars end up....  we are specifically told that...

And the John 3:16 is the right translation.......   those who believe "should not" perish.....    means that they do not have to perish, but the original Greek does not say "Shall not".

So if you believe, you don't have to perish.....    but if you also live the life of Jesus being Lord....  it says that you definitely will be saved.

• Group:  Diamond Member

Think about what that means....   confessing with your mouth that Jesus is one's Lord is not a simple statement when you look at what a Lord is.....   it may seem easy to say, but it's not always so easy to live up to that statement unless one is just lying about it, and where do liars end up....  we are specifically told that...

Great point! But many christians say it and then live another life when church service is over.  So believing has to including more than an acknowledgement of God with your confession.  The text was was referring to before was Romans 11:27-30.  In verse 30 by the word belief I have a little notation in my cross reference bible and it says belief means obey. 

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Content Count:  55,864
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Great point! But many christians say it and then live another life when church service is over.  So believing has to including more than an acknowledgement of God with your confession.  The text was was referring to before was Romans 11:27-30.  In verse 30 by the word belief I have a little notation in my cross reference bible and it says belief means obey. 

I haven't looked at that for a great number of years, but it seems the root for that word translated believe has to do with believing to the point of action or something like that.   It definitely is more than what we think of when we use the word today.

The way I go through the Bible I believe that everything has to go together within the whole book.....    so if it tells me to believe to action in one place and in Romans ten tells me that I need to confess his Lordship and believe that the Father raised him from the dead.....   I do pretty much take the more defined scripture as the way things are.    Comes from a background where I learned my church was not telling me the truth about some things.....    I have trouble trusting what people tell me and want to read it for myself.    And I don't always see eye to eye with everyone.....   but that's usually for some other scripture that I have to reconcile with whatever's being talked about.

I haven't looked at that for a great number of years, but it seems the root for that word translated believe has to do with believing to the point of action or something like that.   It definitely is more than what we think of when we use the word today.

The way I go through the Bible I believe that everything has to go together within the whole book.....    so if it tells me to believe to action in one place and in Romans ten tells me that I need to confess his Lordship and believe that the Father raised him from the dead.....   I do pretty much take the more defined scripture as the way things are.    Comes from a background where I learned my church was not telling me the truth about some things.....    I have trouble trusting what people tell me and want to read it for myself.    And I don't always see eye to eye with everyone.....   but that's usually for some other scripture that I have to reconcile with whatever's being talked about.

Amen! we agree on something and I think what you do is amazing because you don't just believe anyone and check it against the rest of scripture. 

Ok so lets go through the rest of the that text.

For God so loved....what scriptures do you have to describe who God is and why he so loved?

So the texts that come to my head about who he is 1John 4:8, John 4:24. 

Thanks

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  559
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/01/1962

Hello friends,

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.  I'm sure you've heard a million sermons on this text alone so I will consider you experts. My question is what does it mean to believe?  I've heard people say just confess it with your lips that Jesus is Lord, but that seems too easy. Not to say that God doesn't want this experience to be easy for us but even the demoms believe (James 2:19).  Your scripturally supported opinions are appreciated.  In case you're interested in my opinion....belief is obedience....text to come gotta run but didn't want to lose the thought.  God bless.

I agree that it's obedience. Peter made the confession, thou are the Christ the Son of the living God. God's Christ is the anointed king of Israel. Kings Saul and David were both called the Christ, However, Jesus is the ultimate Christ being the Son of God. If one knows and acknowledges that Jesus is the Christ he is acknowledging Jesus as his king and as such is submitting himself to the rule and authority of the king, thus believing on the name of Jesus requires obedience.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings to all!

Well,Jesus Himself said that if we love Him we will obey His commands...........Jesus made it very simple & clear.There are many people that believe in the historical Jesus but not that He is diety, the Son of God Who rose from the dead on the 3rd day.....He is the One that the prophets of old spoke about & fulfilled prophecy,...........He is the Messiah,that we must believe & then submit to His Lordship.....we cannot even be obedient,faithful or anything else wi0thout His indwelling by the Power of the Holy Spirit..........

It really is quite simple,one only needs to surrender.............I do believe the confession with ones mouth must be made with a desire to be forgiven,a repentant heart & a willingness to to yield to his Authority & submit our Will to His........open to receive...

With love in Christ-Kwik

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

hello Remnantrob,

what does it mean to believe?

well, baby steps at first. Even though I have been a christian since i was a child, alot of things like my character for one having strong convictions about my beliefs were there instilled in me, in my 20s, 30s my faith and belief stayed the same until my 40s things changed... my life was tested through trials, and my faith, looking back I remember standing there and felt like being up against fears in my own life, and nobody around to hold my hand, it was just me and God, learning to stretch my faith and beliefs, some painful trials but it was all well worth it, my faith gets stronger the older I get, and i found such meaning in my life, its all a process.

blessings,

desi

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  6

Hello friends,

Great question with humongous implications.

I don't have a definitive answer, but I do have my conversion to help me ponder this. I remember crying in my bedroom begging God to forgive me and save me. I have to believe he heard and answered that prayer affirmatively. I was in my 20s.

I know for sure it was real because my desires changed, and I would like to think this was the Holy Spirits work in me. I was living in sin if you would and it was clear to me, this was not right. I told Marianne that we are going to have to make changes, and I was hoping she would follow my lead. She didn't, so I was now following my lord.

I honestly attribute these changes to thenHoly Spirit in me moving me to do gods will.