Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LookingForAnswers

Follow up to last nights debate...part 1

39 posts in this topic

One of the evidences that Nye used for an earth older than 6000 years were ice cores from Greenland. 

Here is a bit more on them...http://www.reasons.org/articles/deep-core-tests-for-the-age-of-the-earth

The only response that Ham had was to bring up the frozen squadron being buried under 250 feet of ice and snow after just 50 years.  This is addressed in the link above, and also the ice cores do not rely on depth any more than a tree's rings rely on them all being the same distance apart. 

Is there an answer to the ice cores from the YEC point of view other than the frozen squadron?

Thanks!

Is there an answer to the ice cores from the YEC point of view other than the frozen squadron?

:thumbsup:

Depending Upon Your World View

But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.

For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.

For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 1 Corinthians 15:20-22

Yes

Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Romans 3:22-24

There are several historical markers in Antarctica which can be used to cross check these calculations for the past few thousand years. But historical volcanic events are not known beyond a few thousand years in the past which provide any certainty to the calculation of age. This method would be reasonably reliable if precipitation rates had been similar in the past. However, some creationist models predict significant quantities of snow immediately after the Flood (Oard, 1990). Perhaps as much as 95% of the ice near the poles could have accumulated in the first 500 years or so after the Flood. http://www.icr.org/article/355/272/

~

Believe

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

And Be Blessed Beloved

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Love, Joe

But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.

For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 1 Corinthians 15:20-22

Yes

Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Romans 3:22-24

There are several historical markers in Antarctica which can be used to cross check these calculations for the past few thousand years. But historical volcanic events are not known beyond a few thousand years in the past which provide any certainty to the calculation of age. This method would be reasonably reliable if precipitation rates had been similar in the past. However, some creationist models predict significant quantities of snow immediately after the Flood (Oard, 1990). Perhaps as much as 95% of the ice near the poles could have accumulated in the first 500 years or so after the Flood. http://www.icr.org/article/355/272/

~

Believe

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

And Be Blessed Beloved

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Love, Joe

This is my worldview as well...

There is nothing in that world view that tells me I have to check my brain at the door to believe those things.

It is not about the accumulation amount, it is about the layers that show a pattern of seasonal changes. 

It's About That (Pagan) Article Of Faith

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. Hebrews 13:8

That Every Thing Is The Same

And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift up above the earth. And the waters prevailed, and were increased greatly upon the earth; and the ark went upon the face of the waters.

And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered. Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.

And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:  All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.

And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.

And the waters prevailed upon the earth an hundred and fifty days. Genesis 7:17-24

Yesterday

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. John 1:1-3

Today

For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. Colossians 1:16-17

And Tomorrow

And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. Revelation 21:1

There is nothing in that world view that tells me I have to check my brain at the door to believe those things.

Absolutely

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9

A Little Leaven Puffs Up

A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump. Galatians 5:9

The Whole Loaf Of Bread

And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. Luke 4:4

Scientifically Speaking

O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called: 1 Timothy 6:20

Yes

~

Believe

And Be Blessed Beloved

Love, Joe

Ice Cores:  http://creation.com/greenland-ice-cores-implicit-evidence-for-catastrophic-deposition

Rebuttal to each "point" made by Bill Nye:  http://creation.com/ham-nye-debate

Personally, I was extremely disappointed (and that's putting it lightly!!) with the debate on many levels.  There were multiple "Hanging Curve Balls" IMHO that needed and SHOULD HAVE been addressed but were left without adequate rebuttal or were lost in the fog.

Format had an impact but that is no excuse.  Regardless of format, I would have stayed on 3-4 topics (The Biggies) and Drove them Home Relentlessly:

INFORMATION,   LIFE FROM NON-LIFE (Nye brought up Louis Pasteur and Fred Hoyle... for cryin out loud !!!),  MACRO-EVOLUTION with a Compare-Contrast with "Micro", THE FOSSIL FIASCO  (Tiktaalik, are you kidding me??), RADIOMETRIC DATING (1 slide with ALL the know dates of rocks compared with the Radiometric Ages of said ROCKS)....and every time he brought it up....Pull up the slide. 

And you can be 100% sure you would have seen EVERY SINGLE POLYSTRATE FOSSIL ON THE PLANET...in my Presentation with Fireworks/Sirens/ and Bull Horns Going Off !!!!

That slide he had of the "Human Skulls" (which was laughable may I add) and asked if someone could explain it.  Ham had the Slide of the 2 DOG Skulls!!...all he had to do was pull up the slide Identify each to show the MASSIVE VARIATION WITHIN "KIND" and that would have been that.

There's so much more but I'm irritated enough @ this point to drop it and LOOK UP!!!  HE'S Coming!!....and you can be sure with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY..... HE'S NONE TOO PLEASED!!

(Revelation 21:6) "And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely."

(Romans 1:20) "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:"

Personally, I was extremely disappointed (and that's putting it lightly!!) with the debate on many levels.  There were multiple "Hanging Curve Balls" IMHO that needed and SHOULD HAVE been addressed but were left without adequate rebuttal or were lost in the fog.

It's nice to agree on something!

I can only hope that Ham's encouragement to turn to the Bible for the meaning of life, etc. reached someone who needed to hear that.

I can only hope that Ham's encouragement to turn to the Bible for the meaning of life, etc. reached someone who needed to hear that.

It should be noted that I was Looking @ the Debate from the standpoint of somebody that was "on the fence" with little to no science or Scriptural background.

It should be noted that I was Looking @ the Debate from the standpoint of somebody that was "on the fence" with little to no science or Scriptural background.

So was I. ;)

So was I. ;)

Sorry Neb; Yes, I figured you were.  I should've attached it to my original message.

Target Audience was woefully assessed or outright ignored, IMHO.

It is nice to agree  :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0