• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings eben4Christ

God Bless you & Praise the Lord!  The Pharisees were supposes to be the "keepers of the Law" the teachers,the priests.....they lived according to the Law & to be "righteous" would mean to obey that Law to the letter,,,,which of course,could not be done but they went about acting as if they themselves were excellent,perfect,without fault,Holy,sinless....Which is "self -righteous".......

No man could live in keeping "the Law" in perfection ,the Law was given by God to show man that He needed a Savior because none are "righteous",no-not one!In Christ,we live in the "Righteousness" of God.....God is Perfect,Excellent,Sinless,Holy,Good.. Covered by the Blood of Jesus ,our sin is eradicated & we are Holy,Excellent,Righteous(His)......All our unrighteousness is crucified with our flesh when we are "Born Again"

With love,in Christ-Kwik

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Just to give my view, which is a bit different:

Matthew 5:20

“For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

It is clear that the scribes and Pharisees were righteous, and to reach heaven, our righteousness has to exceed that of the Pharisees.

At the time of Jesus, there were several differing groups of Pharisees. One group, those who attended the school of Hillel, emphasized mercy. God had given the Jewish people the Mosaic law, and it is by the Mosaic law that righteousness is measured. A person who keeps the law is said to be righteous. The blessings and curses for the people of Israel was also based on the obedience to the law given by God thru Moses. So, the Pharisees sought to help the Jewish people learn the law and obey the law given by God. They would live among the people, and would teach daily, for free. The school of Hillel taught the scripture teaching should be free, so the Pharisees from that school would take on secular jobs to earn their keep, and then teach for free, helping the people learn and obey God.

So, to the Jewish people, the Pharisees and scribes were people dedicated to God, and His law, and to helping the Jewish people for free, no charge. Not just that but from the largest school which was the school of Hillel, the view of the law was based on mercy. These were the most righteous of men of that time. I compare them to people like Mother Theresa.

If the righteousness of a person is measured by their obedience to the Mosaic law, given by God, then certainly the Pharisees had it made. Yet, when Jesus told the people that their righteousness had to exceed that of the Pharisees and the scribes, basically, that would be impossible.

While Jesus criticized the Pharisees, they were actually the closest to what Jesus taught and were the well loved leaders and teachers of that day. His criticisms of the Pharisees, meant He was criticizing the best of people, who we know were not perfect but really were among the recognized best, as good as many consider Mother Theresa. The problem is, while they have done wonderful works, and are certainly righteous based on works, without faith in Jesus, no ones works of righteousness earns them a place in the kingdom of heaven.

To me, it is sad that people today take Jesus criticism of the Pharisees, and cast them as awful people, thinking of themselves as so much better. In reality, the many of the pharisees were excellent people. They worked hard to obey God, keep His law, serve Him, serve the people, and give charity. So, all of the best people there are, who have done great works, do not have sufficient righteousness to earn a place in heaven. To have a place in the kingdom of heaven, one must be more righteous then the best of the best. Only the righteousness of Jesus is worthy enough to earn heaven, and you can't get that by doing wonderful works, but simply as a free gift by belief in Him and His works.  

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

Brethren, I need your help; what does it mean to be righteous? And what was the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees like? I need some insight from you so that I can help a friend of mine....

Christ lived a perfect life. His righteousness exceeded that of the Pharasees. He took our sins upon the cross. But He also imputed or credited His righteousness to our account due to our faith in Him Romans 4:9-11. When He lives in us, we also have His righteousness.

2 Cor 5:21 He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. NKJV

I love II Corinthians 5:21, Williamina, it is one of my favorite verses.

To be righteous in God's eye is to live by true faith.

16)  For i am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth, to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

17)  For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith; as it is written the just shall live by faith.

Romans 1:16-17     see Habakkuk 2:4

For by our faith, Christ Jesus is made our righteousness, I Corinthians 1:30-31, in whom we may glory.

But Paul speaks of the righteousness of the flesh--scribes/Pharisees:

4)  Though I might also have confidence in the flesh, if any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:

5)  Circumcised the eighth day of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law a Pharisee:

6)  Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law blameless.

7)  But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.

8)  Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ.

Philippians 3:4-8

Paul speaks of the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisee being but dung/manure next to the excellency of Christ Jesus, which he sought to win.  And than states he want Christ's Righteousness:

9)  And be found in Him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith.

Philippians 3:9

To be righteous in God's Eyes is to rely solely on the finished work of Jesus Christ our Saviour God to be justified.  But the Pharisee and scribe rely upon they own ability to keep the law for righteousness, which is contrary to the Word, I King 8:46; Psalms 130:3; Isaiah 64:6; James 2:10.  God in the OT foretold of Jesus becoming our righteousness in Isaiah 53:6, 11.