• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The more I analyze and think about the bible the more I seem to find one scripture not pair with another.

I was listening to a talk given by a rabbi a few years ago at my school (we have a Jewish Student Union that would host speakers concerning various topics). I do not recall what the message was about. However, in the course of things, he mentioned something poignant.

The rabbis have a term for such incidences in the Scriptures, where one statement seems to contradict another. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the term. However, what they have discovered with this is thus:

In working out the contradiction and finding the solution, one discovers a new truth about God that was hidden within the text. That is, when you find the key that unifies the contradictions, you discover a new truth.

He gave an example, and unfortunately, I can't recall the example either. I wish I could because it would help you understand all this.

Anyway, I hope you take this to heart as you piece through the contradictions.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

What's wrong with capitalising the word Satan? There is only one Satan.

To capitalise a word is to show that it is unique or to give it proper-noun status. It's the difference between 'a' something and 'the' something. So the word 'god' means any god including false gods, whereas the word 'God' means 'the God' of which there is only one.

It is not showing respect to Satan to capitalise his name. Capitalising can be both negative and positive. Capatilising denotes uniqueness, a title or a name. Nobody seems to complain if we capitalise 'herod' or 'judas', so why complain if we capitalise 'satan' or 'lucifer'?

However, it is disrespectful to God if we don't capitalise his name, because he too is unique.

Christians who are afraid to capitalise the name Lucifer are being superstitious, and Christians are not meant to be superstitious.

Talking of which, I walked under a ladder the other day, because I am not superstitious. :laughing:

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/03/1973

The more I analyze and think about the bible the more I seem to find one scripture not pair with another.

I was listening to a talk given by a rabbi a few years ago at my school (we have a Jewish Student Union that would host speakers concerning various topics). I do not recall what the message was about. However, in the course of things, he mentioned something poignant.

The rabbis have a term for such incidences in the Scriptures, where one statement seems to contradict another. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the term. However, what they have discovered with this is thus:

In working out the contradiction and finding the solution, one discovers a new truth about God that was hidden within the text. That is, when you find the key that unifies the contradictions, you discover a new truth.

He gave an example, and unfortunately, I can't recall the example either. I wish I could because it would help you understand all this.

Yes I had to figure that method out very quickly when I  read the bible. But what does it matter if most christians today are yelling at you THE BIBLE IS THE PERFECT WORD OF GOD AND THERES NOT ONE CONTRADICTIONS. I knew this very old christian woman and she was a little liberal with some things and she believed that evolution was gods way of making the human race, so I asked her well was there still a adam and eve who started the human race and she couldnt say no. She had to hold on to the genesis story to save face but at the same time she showed that she knew nothing about evolution. 4 weeks later she died.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Yes I had to figure that method out very quickly when I  read the bible. But what does it matter if most christians today are yelling at you THE BIBLE IS THE PERFECT WORD OF GOD AND THERES NOT ONE CONTRADICTIONS. I knew this very old christian woman and she was a little liberal with some things and she believed that evolution was gods way of making the human race, so I asked her well was there still a adam and eve who started the human race and she couldnt say no. She had to hold on to the genesis story to save face but at the same time she showed that she knew nothing about evolution. 4 weeks later she died.

Adam and Eve never started the human race, God created us.

What do you understand of evolution? i would be interested to know why it might have affected your walk?

Guest shiloh357

The more I analyze and think about the bible the more I seem to find one scripture not pair with another. Here is a new problem I found when pairing up scripture today.

In this verse you will see that jesus says that satan does not cast out satan because he would be working against himself and if he did his kingdom would not stand.

(Matthew 12:26

New International Version (NIV)

26 If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand?)

We know jesus said this because some people were saying he casts out demons by satan.

When I read that verse what I understand is that satan does not cast out himself or he would limit his power and his kingdom would fall.

But then theres always some other verse that seems to contradict the current one. This is also what jesus said.

(Matthew 7 v 21

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven,but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’)

Here we see jesus saying there will be people who drove out satan in his name who were not gods people and will be rejected by christ on judgment day. As far as I understand the doctrines of the bible you are either a believer or a non believer and if a non believer or false believer peforms a miracles then their power to peform it comes from satan not god.

However in matthew 12 v 26 jesus clearly says satan wouldnt drive out himself because his kingdom would not stand but he claims the opposite when in matthew 7 v 22 he states that false believers have cast out demons. (and by what power?)

So for now I will leave it up to the forum to correct my thinking if in fact I am seeing these verses wrong.

In context. Matt. 7:21 is talking about false prophets.  These were not genuine believers but those who went around professing to be what they were not.   They are appealing to Jesus on the same grounds that they appealed to those they were leading astray.   Didn't we do mighty miracles in your Name???    The answer to the question based on Jesus' response is "No, you didn't.  Now depart from me."    They tried to claim that they didn't by His power, but their claim was false.  It shows that even false prophets can deceive themselves.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

What's wrong with capitalising the word Satan? There is only one Satan.

To capitalise a word is to show that it is unique or to give it proper-noun status. It's the difference between 'a' something and 'the' something. So the word 'god' means any god including false gods, whereas the word 'God' means 'the God' of which there is only one.

It is not showing respect to Satan to capitalise his name. Capitalising can be both negative and positive. Capatilising denotes uniqueness, a title or a name. Nobody seems to complain if we capitalise 'herod' or 'judas', so why complain if we capitalise 'satan' or 'lucifer'?

However, it is disrespectful to God if we don't capitalise his name, because he too is unique.

Christians who are afraid to capitalise the name Lucifer are being superstitious, and Christians are not meant to be superstitious.

Talking of which, I walked under a ladder the other day, because I am not superstitious. :laughing:

the last time I did that the guy painting dropped a brush on my shoulder...   there's common sense about that superstition  LoL.

The more I analyze and think about the bible the more I seem to find one scripture not pair with another. Here is a new problem I found when pairing up scripture today.

In this verse you will see that jesus says that satan does not cast out satan because he would be working against himself and if he did his kingdom would not stand.

(Matthew 12:26

26 If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand?)

We know jesus said this because some people were saying he casts out demons by satan.

When I read that verse what I understand is that satan does not cast out himself or he would limit his power and his kingdom would fall.

But then theres always some other verse that seems to contradict the current one. This is also what jesus said.

(Matthew 7 v 21

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven,but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’)

Here we see jesus saying there will be people who drove out satan in his name who were not gods people and will be rejected by christ on judgment day. As far as I understand the doctrines of the bible you are either a believer or a non believer and if a non believer or false believer peforms a miracles then their power to peform it comes from satan not god.

However in matthew 12 v 26 jesus clearly says satan wouldnt drive out himself because his kingdom would not stand but he claims the opposite when in matthew 7 v 22 he states that false believers have cast out demons. (and by what power?)

So for now I will leave it up to the forum to correct my thinking if in fact I am seeing these verses wrong.

In context. Matt. 7:21 is talking about false prophets.  These were not genuine believers but those who went around professing to be what they were not.   They are appealing to Jesus on the same grounds that they appealed to those they were leading astray.   Didn't we do mighty miracles in your Name???    The answer to the question based on Jesus' response is "No, you didn't.  Now depart from me."    They tried to claim that they didn't by His power, but their claim was false.  It shows that even false prophets can deceive themselves.

Yes I like this response, because it suggest false believers did nothing at all. But I read the verse over to be sure of your answer but jesus does no say (no you didnt) although it might be implied.

What do you understand of evolution? i would be interested to know why it might have affected your walk?

What I understand is that I never once looked up the meaning of the word theory the 13 years I was a christian and after I did I was pretty sore at all those christians who told me (its only a theory) as for my walk with god, he, his bible and his people couldnt answer the high demand of questions I was having once I was exposed to evolution.

Edited by r3alchild

Guest shiloh357

Yes I like this response, because it suggest false believers did nothing at all. But I read the verse over to be sure of your answer but jesus does no say (no you didnt) although it might be implied.

I think it is strongly implied.  I was trying to communicate the essence of Jesus' response. I should have been clearer on that.   They were, as false prophets used to being able to hook people into their deception.  And the text seems to indicate that these people try the same thing on Jesus and it doesn't work.   Jesus, in essence tells them, "Nothing you have done was done in my Name.   I never knew you.  Depart from me."

Guest shiloh357

What I understand is that I never once looked up the meaning of the word theory the 13 years I was a christian and after I did I was pretty sore at all those christians who told me (its only a theory) as for my walk with god, he, his bible and his people couldnt answer the high demand of questions I was having once I was exposed to evolution.

So it was your exposure to evolution that played a part in your deconversion from Christianity?