• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,146
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1950

What's wrong with capitalising the word Satan? There is only one Satan.

To capitalise a word is to show that it is unique or to give it proper-noun status. It's the difference between 'a' something and 'the' something. So the word 'god' means any god including false gods, whereas the word 'God' means 'the God' of which there is only one.

It is not showing respect to Satan to capitalise his name. Capitalising can be both negative and positive. Capatilising denotes uniqueness, a title or a name. Nobody seems to complain if we capitalise 'herod' or 'judas', so why complain if we capitalise 'satan' or 'lucifer'?

However, it is disrespectful to God if we don't capitalise his name, because he too is unique.

Christians who are afraid to capitalise the name Lucifer are being superstitious, and Christians are not meant to be superstitious.

Talking of which, I walked under a ladder the other day, because I am not superstitious. :laughing:

WillowWood.... I can certainly see how that could be perceived to be somewhat superstitious.  To me it is merely a respect and comfort thing.  The capital S on that fellows name would display respect and I don't have it in me to do so.  And the comfort part has to do with....by not capitalizing the S, allows me to show some defiance.  I feel comfortable knowing that this is as close to communicating with him that I want to.  We are not to challenge him directly remember.  This is a subtle way of doing so.  And I don't think that by doing so will make him more angry with me and come after me.  Now that in itself

would be superstitious.

Also.....when we remodeled our front bathroom, I Purposely broke a 10 foot by 3 1/2 foot mirror out in the back yard to make it fit in the trash can.  I had a bunch of fun doing it too.  :mgbowtie:  That was 3 years ago, no bad luck yet!

Blessings 1x1is1

Man of my own heart.....I feel exactly the same way,I would not capitalize satan,lucifer or anything else demonic & ya bet God & anything of Him is always capitalized.......thank you,I have noticed that in your posts & always say to myself"Bravo"!!!!!LOL

As for the OP & the compari9son of the two Scriptures,,,,,,,,,,they are a totally different content & do not contradict each other because in Matthew 7,,,,our Lord is speaking about false prophets & teachers ,much like many of the televangelists we see nowadays......it is the Power of the Holy Spirit that casts out demons & none other...........many people would like to take the credit & not give the Glory to God,they can still have the anointing even after they have transgressed.....we see this in Scripture

I will come back & explain better but I just realized I am running late for church.........so forgive me but I must go,God bless you!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

Kwik....sorry for the quote thing here, it's the only way to get your attention.  Been trying to catch you for a few weeks.  And yes we are on the same page here concerning the capital S.   I appreciate the Bravo.  I always try to make it a point to read Other One's and your posts.  I learn a lot from them.

Anyway..... you mentioned in a thread a week or two ago (not sure which one) the verse Luke 23:43.  You said that you had looked into the Greek text without the commas in use.  It bought back to mind an interesting phrase I read somewhere......A woman without her man is nothing.  However, with the help of 2 commas...... A woman, without her, man is nothing.   I see the importance that you had mentioned.   :mgbowtie:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

What's wrong with capitalising the word Satan? There is only one Satan.

To capitalise a word is to show that it is unique or to give it proper-noun status. It's the difference between 'a' something and 'the' something. So the word 'god' means any god including false gods, whereas the word 'God' means 'the God' of which there is only one.

It is not showing respect to Satan to capitalise his name. Capitalising can be both negative and positive. Capatilising denotes uniqueness, a title or a name. Nobody seems to complain if we capitalise 'herod' or 'judas', so why complain if we capitalise 'satan' or 'lucifer'?

However, it is disrespectful to God if we don't capitalise his name, because he too is unique.

Christians who are afraid to capitalise the name Lucifer are being superstitious, and Christians are not meant to be superstitious.

Talking of which, I walked under a ladder the other day, because I am not superstitious. :laughing:

WillowWood.... I can certainly see how that could be perceived to be somewhat superstitious.  To me it is merely a respect and comfort thing.  The capital S on that fellows name would display respect and I don't have it in me to do so.  And the comfort part has to do with....by not capitalizing the S, allows me to show some defiance.  I feel comfortable knowing that this is as close to communicating with him that I want to.  We are not to challenge him directly remember.  This is a subtle way of doing so.  And I don't think that by doing so will make him more angry with me and come after me.  Now that in itself

would be superstitious.

Also.....when we remodeled our front bathroom, I Purposely broke a 10 foot by 3 1/2 foot mirror out in the back yard to make it fit in the trash can.  I had a bunch of fun doing it too.  :mgbowtie:  That was 3 years ago, no bad luck yet!

You are being superstitious. Maybe somebody once told you that failing to capitalise God's name was disrespectful, but it's only disrespectful to God because it may confuse the reader who doesn't know whether you're talking about a false god or the true God.

You've probably reversed this misunderstood logic and decided not to capitalise Satan's name because you don't want to respect him. That's nonsense. It's nothing to do with respect, it's all to do with the rules of grammar and punctuation.

You're not challenging Satan directly by capitalising his name, if anything you're playing right into his hands by refusing to capitalise his name!

Consider the following sentence:

"Once there was a man who was possessed by a devil, but he prayed to god and the devil was cast out. The devil was not pleased by this."

Who was cast out, a demon or Satan himself? Who wasn't pleased, the devil that had just been cast out or Lucifer himself?

Now if you capitalise it, you understand the correct meaning.

"Once there was a man who was possessed by a devil, but he prayed to god and the devil was cast out. The Devil was not pleased by this."

Your refusal to capitalise Satan's name could mislead the reader and Satan loves it when people are misled. Your superstition is no different than throwing salt over your left-shoulder because you want to hit Satan in the eye. If you're worried about engaging Satan by capitalising his name, aren't you also worried that you might have engaged him just by the mere fact that you typed his name in the first place? Perhaps you shouldn't write his name at all, just call him the 'S-word' or write s***n, if you're that worried about it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings 1x1is1

I do appreciate your kind words but to God be the Glory!!!!   I love other one myself,always says so much in few words & he has a beautiful passion for Christ.....a very thoughtful & considerate fellow,as are you!I love reading his posts.....

You are always welcome to PM me ,my brother....I really like that sentence you just posted(they both need each other!LOL) it is a perfect example ......

God bless you,sorry for going off topic here.....Praise Jesus.......................

With love in Christ-Kwik

WillowWood....your reasoning just makes me more steadfast to continue on as I have.  I am guilty as charged in your eyes. But to me it is in between a pet peeve and an honor issue. I do know that names mean something in the bible.  In the OT the scribes would wash their hands and change their clothes and get new ink and pen before they even wrote the name of God.  And then do the same routine after writing it.  This they did each and every time.  Was that superstition? 

And really, I don't expect to be tapped on the shoulder by the Lord and be instructed to put a cap on the S.  usually it is best just to step back and do consider......WWJD?     Would He conform to the punctuation laws of man?  

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

WillowWood....your reasoning just makes me more steadfast to continue on as I have.  I am guilty as charged in your eyes. But to me it is in between a pet peeve and an honor issue. I do know that names mean something in the bible.  In the OT the scribes would wash their hands and change their clothes and get new ink and pen before they even wrote the name of God.  And then do the same routine after writing it.  This they did each and every time.  Was that superstition? 

And really, I don't expect to be tapped on the shoulder by the Lord and be instructed to put a cap on the S.  usually it is best just to step back and do consider......WWJD?     Would He conform to the punctuation laws of man?  

It has nothing to do with superstition with me. I capitalize God and use lower case for satan. It is my mark of respect for God and otherwise for satan.

Makes me feel good so why not? 

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

If your spell check harrasses you about satan with a small "s" just add satan with a small "s" into your dictionary.

I'm not sure it's a good thing to overtly throw it up in his face though.   Keep in mind that not even Michael the Archangel placed any judgment against satan....    I'm not sure it is wise for us to do either.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

no ee didn't conform to putuation laws of man, but ee didn't have to becoss there are no way that he cood confuse peeple.

We confirm to punctuation, spelling and grammar laws so as not to confuse people. That's my point!! Jesus didn't speak in Mandarin Chinese because he wanted his message to be understood by the people he met. Would Jesus conform to the punctuation laws of man? If he was writing today - he probably would!

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Fez

God bless you this morning ,Praises to our Lord!!!!I feel the same way you do,my brother......it does "my" heart good & is one of the ways I can exemplify reverence & respect for my Father,Sovereign King of kings...the Most High,His Holiness just takes my breath away.......Whenever I wrote to my earthly Father I wrote"Daddy" with a capital "D"

And as for satan,,,,,,my Lord Jesus rebukes him...............

I would like it even better if I could use 24karat gold leaf when I write"THE GREAT I AM" .....it is very personal for me,Glory to God!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

:huh: I've never seen so much ado made over how people write the name or title of "the deceiver" (which is what ha satan means).