Brian_Michael

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I was wondering if someone needed two baptisms.  Scripture does not state nor does it have an example of someone needing/receiving two baptisms, however, when infant baptisms occur, are we then filled with the Holy Spirit at that point?  Or, are we not filled with the Holy Spirit until later in life when we come to the ‘age of accountability’ and choose to accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and let him into our hearts?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  5

Being baptized and being filled with the Holy Spirit are two different things, you can be filled with the Holy Spirit without being baptized, and being baptized on it's own will not bring the Holy Spirit upon you. Being baptized by the Holy Spirit rather than water is the important thing.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  03/28/1985

No, there is only one baptism found in the Bible in Ephesians 4:4-5. Romans 6:3-5; Galatians 3:27.. If you have not been baptized according to the one baptism found in the Bible (Romans 6:3-5), you have to baptize again (Acts 19:1-5)

The Kingdom of heaven belongs to the infants already and they don't need to be baptized. Matthew 18:2-3; 19:14; Luke 18:16; Mark 10:14. We can't find in the Bible where infacts were baptized. Jesus Christ was baptized to show us example to follow.

When Jesus commanded the apostles to preach the gospel to the whole world and said: "He who believes and is baptized will be saved" (Mark 16:16), He did not say "He who believes and is not baptized will be saved. Believing and Baptism move together.. It is a commandment of Christ and the followers of Him must obey...  

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  3

Brian,

first of all, I play guitar also!

The answer is that what you see in the NT is what is called "believer's baptism". People hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and part of the positive response and acceptance of the Gospel as truth is to be baptized in water, which graphically portrays the death, burial, and raising of Christ. By doing this act, a person is choosing to both identify themselves as a believer in Jesus Christ, and to symbolically put their own old, sinful life to burial and be raised up into a new life in Christ. The true baptism is spiritual, in which the Holy Spirit enters, changes, and dwells inside the believer, and also makes that person a true member of the "body of Christ" which is His real church on earth. Therefore, we are both "in Christ" (his body) and "Christ is in" us (by the Holy Spirit). An infant can be put through a ceremony, but an infant can not choose Christ as his personal savior. The water baptism only has meaning in the context of its spiritual reality, which is as I described, according to the scriptures. It's never a ceremony or the water that saves, but the answer of a person's conscience towards God, and a commitment, therefore, to Jesus Christ, resulting in the baptism by the Spirit of God: you in Him, and Him in you.

Hope this clarifies, Andy

I think "ajchurney" couldn't have explained it better. Amen...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I guess people started baptizing babies as a form of dedication, but I am not positive.

In any event, it is not Scriptural. Baptism has to reflect an inner choice. Baptism originates from the Jewish tradition of dipping oneself in water as an outward symbol of purifying yourself before God. There were baths of water outside of the Temple that people walked through and dunked themselves in before entering the Temple, for example. When John was out baptizing (more properly translated "immersing"), he was not introducing anything new to the people. His call was one of repentance, and the baptism reflected the inner repentance of those who came to him.

As for "the baptism in the Holy Spirit", that's just a phrase that someone coined for those receiving a fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit on them, and for some reason the phrase stuck.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  11
  • Birthday:  02/07/1991

Does that mean, that even though I was baptised as an infant, I do not come home to God when I die, unless I'm getting a baptism as an adult?

Does that mean, that even though I was baptised as an infant, I do not come home to God when I die, unless I'm getting a baptism as an adult?

Did you accept Jesus Christ as your savior? Do you love your neighbor as yourself? Do you love God with all your strength, heart and mind? If you answered yes you will see the kingdom of God.

Luke 10

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live”

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  11
  • Birthday:  02/07/1991

Did you accept Jesus Christ as your savior? Do you love your neighbor as yourself? Do you love God with all your strength, heart and mind? If you answered yes you will see the kingdom of God.

Luke 10

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

I'm still a new believer. So I can't honestly answer yes to all of it. But I'm working on it. I'm reading the scriptures, praying for strength and for him to help me believe.

Luke 10

I'm still a new believer. So I can't honestly answer yes to all of it. But I'm working on it. I'm reading the scriptures, praying for strength and for him to help me believe.

Sometimes it takes a life time to dedicate our lives to God. There will be many falls and trials but God will always be there with open arms waiting for you. Remember that it's never Him who distances Himself from us it's always us.