IGNORED

Do we need two baptisms?

Brian_Michael

I was wondering if someone needed two baptisms.  Scripture does not state nor does it have an example of someone needing/receiving two baptisms, however, when infant baptisms occur, are we then filled with the Holy Spirit at that point?  Or, are we not filled with the Holy Spirit until later in life when we come to the ‘age of accountability’ and choose to accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and let him into our hearts?

Scripture says nothing about being baptized in water when you're a baby. Water baptism is not planting the seed. A parent teaching their child about Jesus and having them live in a christian environment with a strong foundation is planting the seed, families and schools. We are all born into a sinful world and have fallen short of the glory of God. There is only one baptism and that is when you are at the age of accountability. This baptism comes only through the grace of the Father. Spiritual baptism through the Holy Spirit is the only one there is. Romans 10:9.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Unio

God bless you & welcome to Worthy...........I just want to reassure you that you are just fine,You asked a very simple question & let me give you the very simple answer"no".....the Word of God does NOT mandate that you be baptized

That is very nice that your parents baptized you as a baby,mine did to-(tradition of men).......it is lovely to be baptized as an adult & make your public confession of Faith(another tradition)........I remember everyone giving me all these rules & regulations & very complicated answers to my really simple questions when I was a Babe Christian & lets keep it simple ....

Do you love Jesus,believing He rose on the 3rd day & you asked Him to be your personal Lord & Savior?Then you are saved......surrender your life to Him & He will give you His Holy Spirit & that Holy Spirit will give you Wisdom & Understanding beyond your wildest imaginings......................Jesus loves you,you are fine.....ask Him to keep drawing you nearer,pray,read the Word....your okay

With love,in Christ-Kwik

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Does that mean, that even though I was baptised as an infant, I do not come home to God when I die, unless I'm getting a baptism as an adult?

What this means is that you get to experience the joy of knowing the experience of baptism now that you have the memory capacity for it, you know what you are doing and why, you are declaring your faith in Jesus, and you can experience passing from death to leaf symbolically.

Just find a Christian brother who is willing to lead you through baptism and go for it, even if all you have is a bathtub.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Infant baptism is pretty much useless and often somewhat pointless. However, it does have its merits as it is a public declaration by parents that they wish to bring their child up in the ways of the Lord.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Without understanding 'baptism' as did the Jewish Jesus, the Jewish Apostles, and Jews in Palestine at the time the New (and Old) Testament was written...it is not possible to understand that there are indeed multiple 'baptisms' indicated in Scripture...and that multiple 'baptism' is the 'Norm'...not the exception... for any believer in Christ...Jew or Gentile.

See the Jewish Encyclopedia entry for 'Baptism' here:

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/2456-baptism

See also "Ablutions" here:

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/338-ablution

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/26/1957

Baptism in an outward expression of an inward change. (my definition)

As far as infant baptism, it is only mans tradition as stated by kwikphilly

Mar 16:16    “He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.

According to this scripture, we first believe, then are baptised.

Lk 2:39-43 tells the story of the 2 thieves 

The thief on the cross obviously wasn't baptized after he believed on Jesus, yet Jesus said he would be with Him in paradise.

Jhn 3:36    “He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/07/1991

Blessings Unio

God bless you & welcome to Worthy...........I just want to reassure you that you are just fine,You asked a very simple question & let me give you the very simple answer"no".....the Word of God does NOT mandate that you be baptized

That is very nice that your parents baptized you as a baby,mine did to-(tradition of men).......it is lovely to be baptized as an adult & make your public confession of Faith(another tradition)........I remember everyone giving me all these rules & regulations & very complicated answers to my really simple questions when I was a Babe Christian & lets keep it simple ....

Do you love Jesus,believing He rose on the 3rd day & you asked Him to be your personal Lord & Savior?Then you are saved......surrender your life to Him & He will give you His Holy Spirit & that Holy Spirit will give you Wisdom & Understanding beyond your wildest imaginings......................Jesus loves you,you are fine.....ask Him to keep drawing you nearer,pray,read the Word....your okay

With love,in Christ-Kwik

Thanks a lot. Exactly what I needed to hear. I pray and read the bible almost every day. And do my best to be a good Christian. I'm trying my best to follow what Jesus said, and sometimes I fail. But then it's just to ask for forgiveness, and I feel better again.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

Beloved Unio,,,,

Some would do well to hear what you just said.............that is being "saved"!!!!!!

God bless you...keep it simple!

With much love-Kwik

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Does that mean, that even though I was baptised as an infant, I do not come home to God when I die, unless I'm getting a baptism as an adult?

The thief next to Jesus on the cross could not be baptized. He simply believed and asked Jesus to remember him when He came into His kingdom. Jesus answered "Today you will be with Me in Paradise" Baptism is not necessary at all unless God has put it on your heart to obey Him in this way. Paul only baptized one or two people. But he preached to the gentiles and many believed and were saved through His preaching and teaching.

Jesus said that if your confess Him before men, He will confess you before His Father in heaven. So it is necessary that you confess your faith in Christ before others. If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9 If He is Lord of your life you desire to obey Him whether it be to confess Him or to be baptized. Believe means to trust in, adhere to and rely upon. It is not a passive word. Saving faith is an active faith.

If you are asking this question God may be putting this step on your heart. It helps us to realize that God has buried the old sinful man and given you a new life when we go under water and come up. (Baptize means to dip to dye clothing.). Sinless Jesus was baptized as an example to us, endorsing that repentance is necessary to wash away our sins. Repentance is turning away from our sinful lifestyles and to Christ in faith, asking for mercy and help because we are unable to change ouselves in our own strength. A baby cannot repent.

Ritual churches believe that the Holy Spirit comes into the baby when they are touched with blessed water and the word of God is spoken over them. Their excuse is that John the Baptist was filled with the Spirit in his mother's womb. However, we are not John the Baptist. In fact, he was the one who came preaching repentance and baptism. They also claim that whole households were baptized and that included babies. But there is no mention of any babies or young children living in those households. They are reading into it something that is not clearly stated in scripture.

The important thing is that you obey whatever Christ is leading you to do. The first thing God led me to do was to repent, ask God to forgive me, receive that forgiveness because Jesus loves me, and to try to make restitution. Then God put it upon my heart to read the New Testament and psalms. A pastor one said that the first thing he had obeyed God in, when he was 6, was to pick up his clothes and clean his room. His mom had always kept after him to do that but this time he did it without being asked by her. He was asked by God. So it is different with everybody. But all do have to repent, trust in Jesus, and obey His promptings or voice so as to make Him Lord of our lives.

Blessings,

Willa

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  3

Willa,

most of what you said there was fine, but it is not at all accurate to say that "Paul only baptized one or two people". Check Acts 16:15, 16:33, and 19:5. You are probably thinking of Paul's statement to the Corinthians that he was glad he did not baptize but a few of them. The context was division in the church because they were following men improperly. Paul was not flippant about baptizing people, and while water baptism does not save a person, it is overstating things to make it seem that Paul, the greatest missionary of the first century, did not water baptize those he brought to Christ. Please be careful with the scriptures!!