Spock

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  6

This article from Bible.org is one of many I have read that are not meant to tell you what is right and what isn't, but rather gives you enough information to either wet your appetite to go deeper or at the very least, give you enough info to allow you to be able to converse intelligently. Personally, I prefer reading these kind of articles because the author's purpose isn't to convert you to one way of thinking-his or her way, but rather, to inform.

It is presented in a concise manner, laying out the various models that touch on creation according to Genesis 1. Again, if you want to read an article loaded with meat, you probably need to skip this one.

I'd like to hear your thoughts, critiques, concerns, or questions you may have regarding anything the author says. Thanks.

https://bible.org/seriespage/lesson-2-god-created-genesis-11-2

Spock out

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,695
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  04/11/1968

As usual, they didn't include my theory. I feel left out :(

The universe already existed, the earth was created before creation week but was not necessarily Satanic. God was here on the darkness of the surface of earth, where he produced visibility from the darkness. In this way he produced light, the sky, the sun, the moon, the stars. He then created/formed  fish/birds/plants/humans.

Its interesting to note that from verse 3, during the 6 days when God produced the sky/stars/sun/moon the Hebrew word "bara" (create) is only used for living organisms. The word "asah" is often used for the rest of creation which means to produce/observe.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  6

The universe already existed, the earth was created before creation week but was not necessarily Satanic. God was here on the darkness of the surface of earth, where he produced visibility from the darkness. In this way he produced light, the sky, the sun, the moon, the stars. He then created/formed  fish/birds/plants/humans.

Its interesting to note that from verse 3, during the 6 days when God produced the sky/stars/sun/moon the Hebrew word "bara" (create) is only used for living organisms. The word "asah" is often used for the rest of creation which means to produce/observe.

Hey dude,

Would you mind clarifying your position when you said, "...but was not necessarily Satanic..."

Do you not believe satan fell and thrown out of Heaven to earth? Or do you mean you do not believe satan ever ruled on planet earth? Or do you believe something different?

Thanks,

Spock

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  1,695
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Birthday:  04/11/1968

Hey dude,

Would you mind clarifying your position when you said, "...but was not necessarily Satanic..."

Do you not believe satan fell and thrown out of Heaven to earth? Or do you mean you do not believe satan ever ruled on planet earth? Or do you believe something different?

Thanks,

Spock

Ok what I mean is that I disassociate myself from some form of gap theory where Satan ruled over beings on earth. I believe in an empty chaotic earth that was simply like that because it was forming from the matter of the universe. When the literal 6 day creation week started the matter had already formed into a land surface covered by the ocean, I believe that's the clearest view on Genesis 1:2.

Satan is a spiritual being, I don't believe he ever ruled earth in a physical manner in such a way as to create a physically chaotic world. 

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

I really do not know what I believe anymore.  I see all these arguments posted here (not this thread), quotes from creationist websites, and raw nerves resulting from the debates.  For every point there is a counter point.  Sometimes they both seem realistic, but I know that can't be the case.  When my children and I discuss these things (we rarely do), I can only say that there is truth out there, but I'm not sure what it is.  You can't bring up a doubting Thomas question easily and not get assailed.

I really do not know what I believe anymore.  

I see all these arguments posted here (not this thread), quotes from creationist websites, and raw nerves resulting from the debates.  

For every point there is a counter point.  

Sometimes they both seem realistic, but I know that can't be the case.  

When my children and I discuss these things (we rarely do), I can only say that there is truth out there, but I'm not sure what it is.  

You can't bring up a doubting Thomas question easily

and not get assailed.

:thumbsup:

True History

For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. 1 Corinthians 15-21

Future History

For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 1 Corinthians 15-22

And The Root Of The Message Is Jesus

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Whether Or Not

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? John 11:25-26

I Understand

Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. 1 John 3:1

It

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Galatians 4:6

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

Praying~!

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

Thanks for being there, Joe.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

JUST BELIEVE IN GODS WORD, WE ONLY KNOW IN PART

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  405
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

I read an article where the professor claimed to be an evolutionary Creationist, preferring that to Theistic Evolutionist. (preference to the noun being Creationist) I have no title as to what I believe but perhaps it can best be summed up as a Command or Fiat day Creationist. Essentially it breaks down the structure of Genesis 1 as it is written in terms of "And God said" as the one and only operative, and what follows is explanatory.  The first prominent representation on each day did not involve God doing but only speaking, not making but commanding. It is noted that nothing further was necessary, what follows the fiat is explanation not further "doing".

The article from bible.org offered a concise overview as you suggest though I thought some of his references were somewhat dated.  And certainly there was some bias which I suppose is difficult to completely avoid. Also, if one is interested in reviewing Genesis 1 I think there are a number of additional interpretations and sources giving a more complete analysis. 

Edited by Tolken

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  649
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  3

I read an article where the professor claimed to be an evolutionary Creationist, preferring that to Theistic Evolutionist. (preference to the noun being Creationist) I have no title as to what I believe but perhaps it can best be summed up as a Command or Fiat day Creationist. Essentially it breaks down the structure of Genesis 1 as it is written in terms of "And God said" as the one and only operative, and what follows is explanatory.  The first prominent representation on each day did not involve God doing but only speaking, not making but commanding. It is noted that nothing further was necessary, what follows the fiat is explanation not further "doing".

The article from bible.org offered a concise overview as you suggest though I thought some of his references were somewhat dated.  And certainly there was some bias which I suppose is difficult to completely avoid. Also, if one is interested in reviewing Genesis 1 I think there are a number of additional interpretations and sources giving a more complete analysis. 

"a Command or Fiat day Creationist"  well, I have learned a new term.  At first I thought it said, "Flat day Creationist" (Flat earth Creationist?) LOL