• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

Hi friends,

This question is mostly over the word ENSAMPLES used in verse 11 of 1 Corinthians 10 but read 1-11 to get the context:

Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

I believe that we are at the ends of the world and so this message is for us.  Before I looked up the word ensamples I always just thought it meant examples, but i took a closer look into the word and saw that in a doctrinal sense it means types.   So does that mean that the children of Israel are a type of us that live during the end of time?  If so, maybe we should be paying more attention to how they lived their lives in the Old testament and apply it to the lives we should be living.

Just a thought.  God bless. :lightbulb2:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

1 Corinthians 10:11

(ESV)  Now these things happened to them as an example, but they were written down for our instruction, on whom the end of the ages has come. 

(ISV)  These things happened to them to serve as an example, and they were written down as a warning for us in whom the climax of the ages has been realized. 

(KJV)  Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come. 

(KJV+)  NowG1161 allG3956 these thingsG5023 happenedG4819 unto themG1565 for ensamples:G5179 andG1161 they are writtenG1125 forG4314 ourG2257 admonition,G3559 uponG1519 whomG3739 theG3588 endsG5056 of theG3588 worldG165 are come.G2658 

(MKJV)  And all these things happened to them as examples; and it is written for our warning on whom the ends of the world have come. 

1 Corinthians 10:11

For ensamples - Greek: “types” (τύποι  tupoi). The same word which is used in 1Co_10:6. This verse is a repetition of the admonition contained in that verse, in order to impress it more deeply on the memory; see the note at 1Co_10:6. The sense is, not that these things took place simply and solely to be examples, or admonitions, but that their occurrence illustrated great principles of human nature and of the divine government; they showed the weakness of men, and their liability to fall into sin, and their need of the divine protection, and they might thus be used for the admonition of succeeding generations.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  358
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

NT:5178 a

NT:5178 a

<START GREEK>tupikw=$

<END GREEK> tupikos (toop-ee-kos'); an adverb related to NT:5179; found only in 1 Cor 10:11: as a warning, by way of example, typologically (i.e. figuratively, as a prophetic type, a typological interpretation of Scripture)

(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

ensamples can mean: by way of examples so I am staying with That one, yep that's my story and I am sticking to it By examples!

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

With a question like this, I always compare translations as Fez has done above already.

Proverbs 5:22 Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

Proverbs 5:14Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellers there is safety.

(KJV) :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

Romans 15:4

For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of scriptures might have hope.

IMO Paul is telling us here in in I Corinthians 10 that the Tanakh/Old Testament was written so that we might learn from them, and more importantly grow in our faith as we see God answering His people and their greatest time of need.  If you read verse 12 of I Corinthians 10, we are given the warning to be careful if we think we stand lest we fall, the children of Israel had many moments in the OT that God did great miracles for them, but than they backslide, Moses just brought them out of Egypt, by the power of God, and what did the Israelites do, they made a golden calf and worshipped it.  And in verse 13 of I Corinthians 10 we read that God is faithful to see us thru our trials, but never does God promise us not to go beyond our strength because it is God purpose to go beyond our strength so that we learn to live in the strength of Jesus Christ;

Philippians 4:13

I can do all things through Christ which strengthen me.

Yes God does say He will not tempt us above that we are able, but with the Holy Spirit indwelling us we so able to do more than any of us think.  I know that I need to learn not to limit, the Almighty God power to what I can imagine because God is capable of so much more than I can imagine.

Probably the greatest lesson is the Faithfulness of our God, we need to learn.