IGNORED

Blessings of Abraham a transferrable promise?

Remnantrob

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

Heard a sermon about this topic and was wondering what you guys thought.  Abraham was given blessing that he tried to give to Ishmael by his own work and God said no, it was going to Isaac even though he was the second born.  I've heard in that culture in those days that the first born was always entitled to the inheritances of the father.  We go down the lineage a little and see that the blessing was supposed to go to Esau goes to the second born Jacob.  Adam is the first man and Jesus is the second man and he gets the blessing(or is the blessing).  Could it be possible that the blessings/promises of Israel could be transferrable to the church? 

*** Removed link to SDA teaching ***

Edited by OneLight

Guest shiloh357

Heard a sermon about this topic and was wondering what you guys thought.  Abraham was given blessing that he tried to give to Ishmael by his own work and God said no, it was going to Isaac even though he was the second born.  I've heard in that culture in those days that the first born was always entitled to the inheritances of the father.  We go down the lineage a little and see that the blessing was supposed to go to Esau goes to the second born Jacob.  Adam is the first man and Jesus is the second man and he gets the blessing(or is the blessing).  Could it be possible that the blessings/promises of Israel could be transferrable to the church? 

No.  You need understand that the blessing of Abraham and the blessings that God promised to national Israel are not same thing.   Gentiles are already included in the blessing of salvation promised to Abraham.

The blessings given to Abraham's physical descendents are not transferrable to the Church.  The Church and Israel are radically separate in the New Testament.  The NT never mixes the two.   There is no transfer of blessing.   The Church may participate in how God has blessed Israel, but the blessings are not transferred.

The notion that God has transferred the blessings of Israel to the church is root of over 1,700 years of ant-semtic persecution by the Church agasint the Jews.   It has no place in biblical Christianity and should trampled underfoot for the satanci teaching that it is.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Could it be possible that the blessings/promises of Israel could be transferrable to the church? 

Who were the first "church" members, Jews or Gentiles?

Could it be possible that the blessings/promises of Israel could be transferrable to the church?

Well the first people of God were gentiles. Abraham was a gentile called out from the world to represent God. But that wasn't your question so I will answer it. The first church consisted of jews.

Heard a sermon about this topic and was wondering what you guys thought. Abraham was given blessing that he tried to give to Ishmael by his own work and God said no, it was going to Isaac even though he was the second born. I've heard in that culture in those days that the first born was always entitled to the inheritances of the father. We go down the lineage a little and see that the blessing was supposed to go to Esau goes to the second born Jacob. Adam is the first man and Jesus is the second man and he gets the blessing(or is the blessing). Could it be possible that the blessings/promises of Israel could be transferrable to the church?

No. You need understand that the blessing of Abraham and the blessings that God promised to national Israel are not same thing. Gentiles are already included in the blessing of salvation promised to Abraham.

The blessings given to Abraham's physical descendents are not transferrable to the Church. The Church and Israel are radically separate in the New Testament. The NT never mixes the two. There is no transfer of blessing. The Church may participate in how God has blessed Israel, but the blessings are not transferred.

The notion that God has transferred the blessings of Israel to the church is root of over 1,700 years of ant-semtic persecution by the Church agasint the Jews. It has no place in biblical Christianity and should trampled underfoot for the satanci teaching that it is.

I don't see it as antisemitism because I don't have any issues with people of Jewish heritage. What I don't see is the importance given to them as God's people when we are all equal. Could you list the promises that are only applicable to Israel? I'm not claiming to know anything but how can they still be heirs to those promises if they were conditional? If Jesus is the only way are Messianic Jews the only heirs because the Jews I know don't even recognize them for accepting Jesus. Thanks

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  2

Some of the blessings to Abraham are transferable, the others are not.

God promised Abraham in a Covenant; a seed, a land, and a blessing.

The seed was through Issac and Jacob (not transferable) Gen 17:15-19

The land was for this specific group (not transferable) Gen 15:18-20

The blessing later came through Jesus Christ (all who come to Him are included)  Gen 12:3

In Christ

Montana Marv

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Heard a sermon about this topic and was wondering what you guys thought. Abraham was given blessing that he tried to give to Ishmael by his own work and God said no, it was going to Isaac even though he was the second born. I've heard in that culture in those days that the first born was always entitled to the inheritances of the father. We go down the lineage a little and see that the blessing was supposed to go to Esau goes to the second born Jacob. Adam is the first man and Jesus is the second man and he gets the blessing(or is the blessing). Could it be possible that the blessings/promises of Israel could be transferrable to the church?

No. You need understand that the blessing of Abraham and the blessings that God promised to national Israel are not same thing. Gentiles are already included in the blessing of salvation promised to Abraham.

The blessings given to Abraham's physical descendents are not transferrable to the Church. The Church and Israel are radically separate in the New Testament. The NT never mixes the two. There is no transfer of blessing. The Church may participate in how God has blessed Israel, but the blessings are not transferred.

The notion that God has transferred the blessings of Israel to the church is root of over 1,700 years of ant-semtic persecution by the Church agasint the Jews. It has no place in biblical Christianity and should trampled underfoot for the satanci teaching that it is.

I don't see it as antisemitism because I don't have any issues with people of Jewish heritage. What I don't see is the importance given to them as God's people when we are all equal. Could you list the promises that are only applicable to Israel? I'm not claiming to know anything but how can they still be heirs to those promises if they were conditional? If Jesus is the only way are Messianic Jews the only heirs because the Jews I know don't even recognize them for accepting Jesus. Thanks

Unfortunately, 'replacement theology', is anti-semitic. Of course, there are verying degrees. 

The basic premise of replacement theology is that due to rejection of Jesus, the Jewish people have lost all of Gods blessings, and these blessings are given instead to the Church.

From there, it must be added that God gave a covenant to the Jewish people which had both blessings and curses. While the church, in replacement theology, claims the blessings given to the Jewish people, but rejects having received the curses, and so the Jewish people get only the curses.  When Replacement theology separates the blessing tranferred to the church, and the curses kept by the Jewish people, we have a view that the Jewish people deserve being cursed. From there we have those who go further and believe that the Jewish people are eternally cursed, unsavable, of the synagogue of Satan, etc. It gets even uglier from there. At the end of this idea, we have such groups as the KKK, Nazis, Islam, all claiming to have replaced the Jewish people, and are now the Chosen people. British Israelism, claims that they are Israel and modern Jews are usurpers. Black Israel, also claims to be Israel, and the modern Jews are false. 

Scripture, both OT and NT, speaks of eternal promises to the Jewish people, so Replacement Theology essentially says God who made these promises to the Jewish people, didn't really mean it.    

Guest shiloh357

If God's promises to Israel were transferred to the Church, then God can't be trusted to keep His promises.  If God decided not to keep His promises to Israel, his chosen people and transferred His promises to someone else, why should WE trust God to keep His promises to us?

God is faithful to keep all of the promises He made to Israel.  The issue is not about how important the Jews are; the issue is God's integrity.  God keeps His promises to Israel to prove His faithfulness not because Jews are more important.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Well the first people of God were gentiles. Abraham was a gentile called out from the world to represent God.

Nice try. But there could not have been a Jew-Gentile split before there were Jews. And we're talking about the promise of Israel, the inheritance given to Abraham's descendants through Isaac and Jacob/Israel.

But that wasn't your question so I will answer it. The first church consisted of jews.

Correct.

There was no "transferrance" away from the Jews (Israel), for the original church was a remnant of Jewish believers. The Gentiles who believed were later grafted in to this covenant.

Jesus is the mediator of a new Covenant, not a tranferer of an older covenant.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I don't remember Abraham promised eternal life....